Andromeda, Mutant X Cancelled(?)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rick P, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

from http://filmforce.ign.com/

so what we have here are two shows that were doing well in their syndicated outings, but the production company shuts down. Will be interesting to see if anyone other company steps forward, or the dumbing down of the viewing public continues with more 'reality' to take the place of creative expression..

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

What the heck does unscripted television have to do with this? I understand that it's a convenient whipping boy, but the syndicated action-hour market was declining for years before Survivor appeared. The lack of prime-time slots for the shows due to Fox, UPN, and WB running full schedules plus local sports combined with cable stations like Sci-Fi, Showtime and USA producing more original programming and picking up more quality off-network programming is what created the down market for these shows, not unscripted programming.

3. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

It means exactly what I said...

so what we have here are two shows that were doing well in their syndicated outings,

the action-hour may be in decline, but these two shows were doing very, very WELL in the market. Also, SciFi had stepped up to take on part of the production costs of Andromeda for 'first run' rights for 5th season (they would have syndicated about a month after the SciFi airings).

but the production company shuts down.

Fireworks R.I.P... has nothing to do with the ratings, just the company funding (a common enough occurance)

Will be interesting to see if anyone other company steps forward,

will another studio/production company step up to pick up one or two proven shows (Andromeda already has a partner in SciFi, if the right company stepped up, perhaps SciFi could be swayed to do both) that already have a viewership and fan base...

or the dumbing down of the viewing public continues with more 'reality' to take the place of creative expression..

or has the viewing public become so stupified by 'reality' shows that no company will put forth the money for something with even a hint of creative force and originality or will we be continued to be subjected to more years of banal, inspipid 'reality' shows, costing virtually nothing and entertaining at the marginal level...

That plain enough?

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I could take or leave mutant x, but I LOVED Andromeda because of the characters.

Brent

5. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Tribune is trying to find another partner to produce Andromeda and Mutant X. But given the Sci-Fi channel deal, my bet is that they will most likely try to save Andromeda if they can't save both shows.

6. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

David..

I was just coming in to mention that, the official word from Tribune is that they have written off NEITHER show. I agree if it comes down to 'save one' it will be Andromeda (HOWEVER, perusing the Andromeda boards says that an 'alternate ending' to the season (series?) finale...) Apparently BOTH end on a cliffhanger, but only Andromeda may have an 'out'...

Also, Tribune is not crazy, give the SciFi deal for Andromeda and that they had already cleared BOTH shows for around 90% of the US markets for the 2004-2005 season (and one more season of Mutant X puts it in a better 'strip' syndication position)...

It may not be all bad yet..

7. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Andromeda killed itself when it moved from a thoughtful ongoing storyline to a pick-up show, 'Hercules in Space' because Sorbo thought that backstory and ongoing plots were too hard for people to keep up with.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

True enough; if you're going to complain about the demise of quality TV, post-Wolfe Andromeda isn't the best battle to choose. I bailed pretty quickly during the third season.

The funny thing is, they seem to have gone back to a more continuity-intensive style from what I saw on Sci-Fi a couple weeks ago. That's just served as a reminder that serialization sometimes just means a bad story takes months to tell rather than being over in an hour.

I still don't see why unscripted programs deserve special derision. Why not say the audience has been numbed by the banal family sitcoms CBS & ABC crank out, or the Dick Wolf and Jerry Bruckheimer police procedurals?

And if you're going to talk about "creative force" or "originality", there might be better examples than Yet Another Itinerant Spaceship Show (which was based in part on a pilot script Roddenberry had filmed twice before) and what certainly looks like an X-Men ripoff.

9. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

I suppose you never watched Mutant X all the way thru to the end credits? To the 'Marvel Comics Productions' logo on the end? Not exactly a 'rip-off' but a variation. Search for the Fox vs Marvel lawsuits for the whole details....

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hell, I've never watched it all the way through to the opening credits. [​IMG] I did know that Marvel Television was involved with the show, but that doesn't really do much to alter the point - we're not exactly talking about hugely original concepts here.

11. David_Blackwell

Shorther seasons of Andromeda and Mutant X wouldn't surprise me. Tribune could go for 12 more episdoes of Andromeda to make it 100 episodes total (while trying to secure another production partner for the back 10 episodes) and 14 episodes of Mutant X for a total of 80 episodes (8 more episodes depending on funding). Syndication is a dying market for new shows because syndicated reruns of network shows are flooding the market and more original programming on cable.

I miss the days when you had a wide selection of syndicated shows from SOF to Thw Crow; Stairway To Heaven to FX the series to Highlander to Relic Hunter. I even remember The Cape. I do wish someone would capitalize on the idea of selling short-lived cancelled shows into syndication on a show-to-show basis or as part of a package of 2-3 shows being stripped on the weekends (one show ends and another one starts the following weekend). I'm getting tired of seeing network shows being sold into syndication. I would be happy if there weren't syndicated reruns of Will and Grace (never liked the show), Fear Factor (never could get into it), CSI (too much of a good thing in rerunning the episodes into syndication when Spike TV will be able to start repeating the show 5 times a week this Fall), and so on.

I rather see short-lived shows like Firefly, Wonderfalls, and various others be sold into syndication because not many short-lived shows will be coming to DVD soon and extra exposure means more sales for the shows that are on DVD (and increase the chances of other shows making it to DVD).

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Is there that much money in it, though? You're apparently conceiving of them being syndicated like a first-run show, but what's the appeal to the individual stations? They're going to look at them and see shows that already failed with a national marketing campaign (thus having the smell of death on them), and even if they do well on the local level, are gone in three months, leaving them to rebuild an audience more or less from scratch.

I could see these shows being sold as third-run shows - here's 13 episodes, air 'em whenever you want (once a week, twice a week, in a marathon, don't start until baseball sason is over, etc.) - but the only stations really set up for that are PBS stations.

13. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Andromeda is a guilty pleasure for me and it would be sad to see it go. Sorbo ruined the quality of the show when he dumbed it down in S3 and went for a Captain Hercules in space feel.

This season has added the continuity back in but many of the shows are mediocre. I've lost count of how many times the reveal of the bad guy in an episode has turned out to be the Abyss. I can now within minutes of the bad guy appearing know that theres a strong chance the bad guy either is the Abyss or or is being controlled the Abyss. Jeez try something new like hiring some real writers Sorbo.

If I sound bitter it's because I am. The show had real potential and then Sorbo cut it down because it was too hard for people to follow. If they want something easy to follow let them tune into Survivor.

And yes I'm another who despises reality TV. I don't know what disturbs me more, the amount of reality TV being made or the amount of people who actually think its quality TV.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Sturgeon's Law. Just because a great deal of it is crud doesn't mean it should be dismissed as a form/genre/etc. I've got little use for the gross-out or psychological-warfare games, but I love The Amazing Race. And if people genuinely enjoy the performances on competitions like American Idol or Nashville Star... Well, how does that not make them quality TV?

15. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Thats a personal judgement call. I don't get the fascination with any reality show. I keep waiting for the bubble to burst but I'm now thinking that it won't ever do that. I find that quite sad but thats just MHO.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I didn't, either, until I got hooked on The Amazing Race and realized I liked it for the same reasons I like baseball. Start looking at these unscripted series as sports and the appeal becomes a little clearer.

Unless you don't like any sports. But, hey, even then, you've probably got some idea why people like them.

17. David_Blackwell

Jason, it might not be feasible, but syndicated runs of short run shows might be interesting to do and wouldn't cost the stations as much (since they're not top dollar network shows that demand insane prices for syndication). However, it might be more feasible to anchor repeats of old shows that lasted a short time with 1-2 new shows for the syndicated market.

I was reading at another message board that Fireworks was trying to get out of their commitment to Andromeda S5 and Mutant X S4 as far back as December 31, 2003 by filing a law suit against Tribune.

http://www.exisle.net/mb/index.php?s...ic=15430&st=70