Andromeda - Information (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Paolozza, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

I've been impressed with this show, what little I've seen of it. At any rate...

I need some filling in: I've got an incomplete understanding of the setting. I know the captain is out of his element - but recently picked up that he's from a different time? What's the deal with that? Is the ship from his time as well?

The "Commonwealth," what is (was) it? To me, it sounds like a defunct "Federation of Planets" based around Earth at one point.

And only if this doesn't take too long: Where'd his mix-matched crew get assembled from?

Thanks.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It all happened in the pilot - Dylan Hunt and Andromeda were caught near the event horizon of a black hole, which causes time dilation - so what seemed like a few hours for Hunt and Rommie was 300 years for the rest of the universe. Dylan got trapped at the beginning of a civil war, as the Nietzchiens (Tyr's people) thought the Commonwealth wasn't taking a hard enough line against the Magog - and, really, can you take a hard enough line against the Magog? In the aftermath, the Commonwealth fell, the Magog invaded (but we've recently found out it's only an advance group), and things went to hell.

Most of the crew - Beka, Harper, Rev Bem, and Trance - are the captain and crew of the Eureka Maru, a freighter that salvaged Andromeda, thinking her abandoned. When Dylan said, no, it's not, they found out that the people who'd hired Beka had a backup plan - Nietzchien mercenaries, led by Tyr. Dylan and Rommie dispatched most of them, and by the end of episode 2, they had joined up together.

3. Dan Paolozza

Ok, so what is Dylan and Co.'s objective? Are they just touring around under the flag of the now-defunct Commonwealth, clinging to dear life?

And What was Beka and crew's motivation for sticking with Dylan and not killing him and taking the ship for themselves.

From what you've told me so far, I think I've seen two episodes immediately following the pilot and one or two out of the most recent season.

How much of this is actually Roddenberry's? Are there any DVD plans in the works for the first season?

Thanks again, Seaver.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. Dan Paolozza

Good stuff...thanks.

Looks like I'm ready to start picking it up regularly.