Andromeda - AKA how to ruin something

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shayne Lebrun, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Jason Seaver said in a trek thread:

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I'm disappointed to hear that Andromeda may be less interesting next season. I was ambivalent its first season, but got hooked the latter half of this season. I've really enjoyed the perverse combination of friendship and enmity between Dylan and Tyr, the emotional warship Romy, her cohort in crime, the geeky, worm-infested Harper, and the dangerous, sometimes inconvenient, slip-streams. I really like the troubled, flawed characters. After years of (enjoying) Star Trek, this is a nice change of pace. And, it's showing itself to be more interesting than Enterprise.
    A question: what happened to the good Magog (whose name escapes me)? I missed that episode, as well as the one where Purple Trance is replaced by Gold Trance. [​IMG]
    I hope they don't make Andromeda into another Star Trek -- it's interesting in large part because it's not Star Trek.
    "No, it's just really really unfair"
    [​IMG]
    I also liked (paraphrasing):
    Tyr: "At the end of the universe, there will be left cockroaches, Tyr Anasazi, and Dylan Hunt, trying to save the cockroaches!"

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I agree, when it first busted out, the worldship was great. Now it's just a deus ex machina. "Join the Commonwealth." "No." "Giant magog worldship off the port bow." "Oh crap."

6. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I've been watching since the first episode and I did notice a change in tone last season but I'll let it play out. I didn't like what they did with Trance.

The show actually benefits from a captain that has some "presence" unlike Archer on Enterprise who could be the cleaning lady most of the time. Even the end of last season on Andromeda was better than Enterprise ever was.

I'd be careful where you throw those "Voyager" barbs because Enterprise, not Andromeda, was Voyager in different uniforms 75% of the time.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Personally, I thought it was bad from the first episode

However, Tribune seems to have each one of their "Gene Roddenberry's" shows go through some kind of clusterf*ck after the first season. Earth : Final Conflict had a GREAT first season, and the entire thing was flushed down the toilet within 3 eps of season 2. I'd love to buy that E:FC first season on DVD, however, the other seasons would have to be VERY low priced for me to buy them

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jason, I've seen at least 6 or 7 episodes of Andromeda, but you're right, that doesn't qualify me to make an opinion on the show as a whole

I'm just saying that I'm noticing a pattern in the Tribune GR shows

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's not just the "Roddenberry" shows; it's everything Tribune has ever produced. They appear to get disappointed with a show's disappointing ratings and accompanying move to lesser timeslots on local stations and decide to "fix" it. The problem is, they try to fix it in a way that both makes it less expensive and (they think) broadens the audience.
    This is, of course, impossible. Like almost all TV show retoolings, it just winds up alienating your original fans while not bringing new ones in. But Tribune seems determined to keep making the same mistake over and over again.
    (for what it's worth, I gather they run the Chicago Cubs the same way. [​IMG])