Andrezj Wadja's War trilogy - who has the rights?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Jul 5, 2002.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Just wondering who has the rights to Andrezj Wadja's excellent War trilogy (A Generation, Kanal, Ashes and Diamonds). I'd love to see these again. A Criterion box set would be really nice... [​IMG]
    Anyone got any info?

2. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Criterion released 'Ashes And Diamonds' on laserdisc (although the source material they used then was in poor condition). I hope they will get around to doing at least this film and 'Kanal' on DVD (I don't personally find 'A Generation' quite so rewarding). While we're on the subject of Wajda, his two later masterpieces 'Man Of Marble' and 'Man Of Iron' are both overdue for DVD release as well, but I've no idea who has the rights to them now.

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Bruce, a few of the Wajda's, I know Man of Iron and Man of Marble, are out on Polish R2 DVD. They are reportedly of good quality. If you can track down Pascal A, a member here, he can tell you how to order them. He has them.

It will probably be easiest to find one of his posts in the Foreign Film Purchase List thread that runs in the Software section or in the S&S Top 100 Challenge which shows up every once in awhile in the Movie Section.

4. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

The war triptych is under Home Vision Cinema on VHS, so Criterion is a good bet. Wajda's 1970s films are mostly New Yorker Video (including Man of Marble and Without Anesthesia). Man of Iron, oddly enough, is an MGM/UA title.
    Bruce, I'm responding to your PM here because I received the ordering information second-hand, and I don't speak Polish at all. Hopefully, someone can help out with UK-specific questions, since my exposure was specifically to place an order to the US. Unfortunately, shortly after I placed my first order with Vivid, the subtitled version of Man of Marble was discontinued and is no longer available. My first batch of Wajda DVDs took four weeks from order to arrival; the second batch only took two weeks. I don't know if the shortened duration was because I was now an "established" customer, or if there was a backorder on the first order.
    Anyway, ordering from Vivid is a little unorthodox. You will initially place your order without any credit card or payment information. After your order is compiled and packaged (1 to 2 weeks), they will send you an email to login to your client panel (Panel klienta -> Logowanie). After logging in, select 'Platnos ci karta kredytowa' to pay by credit card using a separate internet bank called Ecard. The interface is easy to understand (they use pictures [​IMG]) About a week after the Ecard transaction, you will get a "realization" type confirmation indicating that the order has shipped, and I usually receive the order 2-3 days after that email.
    On Vivid's site, www.vivid.pl, select 'Filmy'
    On the navigation bar, at 'Szukaj w kategorii' (Search Category), select Relyser, and type 'Wajda' in the search field
    There should be 8 films displayed. Note that the Kino Domowe films are Polish only (no English subtitles)
    These films have English subtitles (also Spanish, Russian, French, Italian, German). They are all region PAL, anamorphic, DD 5.0:
    Man of Iron
    Landscape after the Battle
    Pan Tadeusz
    Land of Promise
    When you place a DVD into your cart, you will need to select 'Kontynuuj zakupy' to continue shopping or 'Prezedz do realizajci' to proceed to checkout (otherwise, the cart empties)
    To checkout and create a new account, select 'Utworz konto'
    Login - Create login name
    Imie - Surname
    Nazwisko - First name
    Adres e-mail - Email address
    Ulica, nr domu, nr mieszkania - Street address
    Miejscowoslc - City
    Kod pocztowy - Zip/Postal Code (Note that for US residents, there is no place to input state information, so use zip+4 to provide a more accurate address)
    Telefon - Telephone number
    Kraj - Country (US is Stany Zjednoczone Ameryki Poln, I'm guessing that UK is probably 'Brytyjskie Wyspy Dziewicze')
    The rest of the fill-in questions applies to business orders, leave blank.
    The first radio button refers to Vivid email communication. I was told that these are to receive special offers, updates: 'Tak' is yes, 'Nie' is no. (Don't forget to check the left button on the first paragraph as well.)
    The second radio button is for receiving email confirmation for your order, default is yes (You still need to check the left button.)
    The next selection is the 'How did you hear about us?' section.
    Wprowadz´ haslo - Enter your password, confirm on the next line (you will be using this password again after a few weeks, so it should be something that you can easily recall).
    Press 'Przejdz dalej' when you're ready to continue. The next page should show your shopping cart items, subtotal (in zlotys), shipping charges. For US, there are no VAT fees, but a UK address will probably preselect the VAT radio button on this page. 'Termin Realizacji' gives you the availability timeframe.
    To place the order -> Zloz zamowienie
    To continue shopping -> Kontynuuj zakupy
    Good luck!

5. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

To A Pascal: Thanks so much for this information - I'll probably order Man Of Iron, since I doubt that MGM/UA will be reasing it on RI anytime soon. Pity about the subtitled Man Of Marble disappearing though. Anyway, many thanks for your help.