And you thought Monster was overpriced...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Drew_W, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

So I brought home a Rotel RMB-1075 for an audition tonight. So far so good. Retail on it is $1500CND, and it sounds fantastic using my existing setup.

The salesperson also loaned me Transparent Audio cables. I got a $312 power cord, $399 speaker wire (10ft pr), and two pairs of interconnects (1m each), one at $189 and the other at $471. So here I have a $1500 amp with $1350 in cables. Hmm. In comparison, I paid $60 for my Z1 10ft pair, $36 for my M550i interconnects (1m), and I'm using stock power cords (for now).

The Transparent cable looks fairly unimpressive (oh these are the moments that I just *wish* I had a digital camera). The only thing impressive about it is the price tag. My Monster cables look to have better connectors, and it seems from previous posts that this makes a large impact.

I can't really find anything about Transparent on the web, and I'd never even heard of them before this salesperson imposed them upon me.

The system in question (and I'm only using 2channel to test):

Pioneer Elite VSX53-TX as a pre/pro (on loan from my theatre)
    Rotel RMB-1075 (on a trial basis)
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A as source 1
    Sony CDP-CX355 Megachanger as source 2
    Energy Veritas 2.1 mains

Source to pre/pro connection courtesy of a Monster THX1000 Fibre Optic interconnect.

Comments on Transparent or anything else? If I get enough responses, I'll post results of my swapping out my Monster stuff for the Transparent.

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

These guys ?

http://www.transparentcable.com/index2.html

Here's a quote from their own website:
    "Most cables are simply lengths of wire, terminated at each end."
    -what else needs to be said....

I'm more interested in your review of the 1075 as I am thinking of getting one to power my Paradigm 40's using my old Onkyo AVR as the pre-processor. My local dealer also quotes 1500CDN as retail.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well the margins are just so much better with the cables he tossed your way. If you're unhappy with your PC for the Rotel (they're a little sleazy with their marketing in that respect IMO) just go out and get a nice 14 gauge shielded belden PC for around $10-15. Transparent audio, btw, is the same company whose president bailed on a public 'bet' he'd made with Nousaine that he could easily tell his cables from something like generic 12 gauge.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I read that in previous posts. This got quite a chuckle out of me. After a night and then a few hours this morning of listening, there is no significant difference between the Transparent and the Monster cables. There is a *HUGE* difference between the Pioneer's amps and those of the Rotel though. I think I'll save on cables and save up for an RSP-1068. [​IMG]

What do those "network" boxes on the cables do anyways?

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Tough to say without cracking it open or xraying it. On one of the top of the line monster speaker cables they used a 100 ohm resistor in series. Something like that will do two things. It'll cause you to waste more power since the resistor is in place. It'll also cause the FR of your amplifier to become non-linear since it'll interact with the impedance curve of your speaker. There will also be some rolling off of the highs. Fun tricks huh? Stuff you could do by going down to the Shack and dropping a dollar if that on a couple of resistors.

MIT uses a box also. Inside their box is a resistor and capacitor that forms a Zobel network. Depending upon the values, that may cause some roll off of the highs. In some cases it's not such a terrible idea and properly implemented could actually be of benefit if you've got an amp that goes into mild ultrasonic oscillations as it'll prevent those high frequencies from hitting the tweeter and causing distress there.

If you've got a VOM laying around, take the Transparents (not connected to the speaker), short one end, and measure the resistance. See how close you get to what the resistance ought to be. If signficantly different, you know they've tossed some junk in there.