What's new

And you thought (hoped) colorization was dead.... (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
With the exception of colorized versions of the early seasons of "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Bewitched" and some Shirley Temple flicks, it has seemed that the much maligned process had died years ago.

Now it seems FOX has decided to release a new series of DVDs that will include colorized versions along side the original B/W.

The first release was A CHRISTMAS WISH (a.k.a. THE GREAT RUPERT) and a vintage SEABISCUIT documentary. Next up, we have the camp classic REEFER MADNESS! The colorizing company are even doing their own audio commentary on this one!

According to their website, next to be colored are CARNIVAL OF SOULS and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (which has already been badly colorized once before), but what is even more scary, is their site contains video clips of ALL ABOUT EVE in color!

They claim it is new and improved, but it looks like the same old process to me.

If you want to see the video clips, go to www.legendfilms.net and take a look!

I guess we should be thankful Fox is putting the B/W versions on the DVDs as well....

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"The colorizing company are even doing their own audio commentary on this one!"

I'll listen to that one- do these all have remixed DTS-ES sound too?

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
From DVDFile.com

I might get it just for the Mike Nelson commentary.

Andrew

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm not one for colorization, but I don't think its any worse than people demanding a 5.1 mix on a stereo film.

Jeff

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I'm not a fan of colorization. But I have to admit that I do like the colorized version of Laurel & Hardy's "March of the Wooden Soldiers" (I own the DVD). Considering that this movie is set in Toyland where famous nursery rhyme characters live, the colorization works and enhances this already excellent movie. This doesn't mean I want to see other black & white movies get colorized. I just enjoy it for this one movie.

There's always the option to turn the color off by using your TV color tuner.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator

Of course you can "turn the color off," but that means you're not seeing the genuine black and white shades that were originally photographed.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at the demonstration they have on that site.
It doesn't look any better than past colourisation work. It still looks awful.

Just stop it people. What makes you think it is necessary?

ChadP2k

Stunt Coordinator
It must just be me but in some cases I LIKE Colorization. For instance the Colorized Gilligan's Island First season episodes weren't perfect but they were very close, and I personally prefer watching "Gilligan" in color as opposed to B&W. I've never seen Jeannie or Bewitched, but with Jeannie I think I'd prefer the "colorized" versions as well, but Bewitched belongs in B&W as do some of the other "classics" like Andy Griffith. The same goes for I Love Lucy, it just wouldn't seem right in color though I wish they would let the second episode "LA at Last" that they colorized back when they produced the colorized version of the Lucy Christmas Special be broadcast.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Colorization of movies that were made in black and white is every bit as much a Bastardization of the movie as pan and scan is.

:thumbsdown:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I would say even more so!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Very few words irritate me as much as "Colorization"! I just don't understand why it's need for ANYTHING!!!

FOX, what the hell are you thinking? Do you think that a bunch of stoner's might be interested in purchasing "Reefer Madness", but will be turned off by B&W?

What's next, "Young Frankenstein"?

I accidentally rented a colorized version of "The Maltese Falcon" a few years ago and immediately returned it to the store and demanded an exchange for another title. How could anyone have ever colorized such a masterpiece?????

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
You can't just turn off the color, that doesn't work. It just looks like a gray mess. That argument does not hold water at all.

If you had a finely detailed and shaded pencil drawing done by a famous artist, then gave it to a child to color it with crayons, and finally took a black and white photo of the result it wouldn't resemble the original drawing at all.

Terry H

Second Unit
Colorization of movies that were made in black and white is every bit as much a Bastardization of the movie as pan and scan is.
I agree 100%. I also have to wonder what FOX was thinking when they decided to do this. :rolleyes

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
i have to say that as long as they have both versions its interesting to see colorized versions. I have a colorized version of Its a wonderful life that is fun to look at (and i have my criterion CAV laserdisc with commentary by ms. basinger when i feel in a scholarly mood)

I like the sort of pastel look that the colorizations have, i dont find anything wrong with it, as long as they dont try to REPLACE the originals.

Like one poster says, this is the same as a sound remix.

Terry St

Second Unit

I have to agree that those demo clips looked absolutely nasty, and little different (if at all) from what they were doing 10 years ago. When I first read the title for this topic I was afraid that colorization might have improved enough in the last few years to actually look good. If that had happened it might have had the potential to go mainstream. However, if this is the best they can do we have nothing to fear. Colorization is not going to catch on if it looks like those demos! The Horror!

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Anything goes all is fair game. As long as we are going to expect old titles to be upgraded to DD or DTS 5.1 and 3x4 refromatted to 16x9 colorization is okay with me. Bring it on, add color, upgarde to 5.1 and re-format to 16 x 9. I will buy them without hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks