1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

And They Say B&B Aren't Listening: Warp 5 in the Opposite(?) Direction!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rex Bachmann, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Time for our weekly Star Trek fix:

SciFiWire: "Enterprise Alters Course? "

dateline: March 4, 2003 12:00 p.m. ET

2. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I don't know... With these guys, this probably means more of what annoys us about the show...

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

You just know this is what they're thinking:

"You know what this show really needs? More of the 'Temporal Cold War', especially if Daniels is involved!"

4. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

This show needs more than a 'slight revision'. Let's see, maybe B&B have in mind a plotline where the Enterprise gets thrown into another quadrant of the galaxy and tries to get home. Yeah, that'd be so original.[​IMG]

Anything stamped B&B will ultimately become worthless. The revision this show needs is new talent across the board.

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Hey, how about showing how the Federation begins to be created.
    Here are a couple of other suggestions:

-Give them shields. Even though the energized deck plating seems to do the same thing. I mean almost every species/ship they encounter has it. Why can't they figure it out or get it from someone.

-Instead of trying to bring species that were first seen in TNG's time (ie-Borg, Ferengi). How about showing the Tellarites.

-If my observations are right. They have never lost a single crewmember. Even when a chunck of the ship was blown away by a Romulan mine.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Wasn't this discussed a few weeks ago in another thread - or am I deja vu'-ing again?

Glenn

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Is Daniels played by Berman or Braga's nephew or something? Why the hell would they keep bringing him back (if they are)?

8. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Jeff Pryor wrote (post #4):

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

On a semi-related note, the declining viewership of Enterprise has has some effect on the action figure line from Art Asylum, too. Though there's been two waves of figures out to the stores thus far (have you seen the recent "Away Team" line with the characters in the copper colored spacesuits? Incredible detail, transparent helmets, the works, truly incredible figures), the remaining characters appear to be destined to be "exclusives" - funded in part by NewForceComics.com, and only sold there. That is, New Force is taking the risk of comissioning Art Asylum to go ahead and make enough figures for them to sell, and that's it. (If you're in the UK don't worry, some are headed to the import stores, too.)

But the ToysRUs' and Targets didn't seem to want to risk a third wave of Enterprise figures, not with so much worry about the ratings. Which bites, because unless the New Force exclusives sell well (they're coming one at a time), we may never see the whole crew in plastic form!

Personally, I think the show will become huge sometime. But not if it heads into Voyager's stupid delta quadrant. I can just see them thinking "well, the network is cutting our budget, and we've got all these delta quadrant costumes in the Voyager warehouse... I think I've found a way to save some money!" Hopefully not.

10. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I think Trek needs to get younger and more dynamic: since Kirk, every captain has gotten older, stodgier, and more conservative and the plots have gone in that same direction - there's no sense of daring any more, of taking things, dare I say "where no man has gone before".

I think they got too comfortable with maintaining a vision rather than forging their own part of it. No one has picked up the slack since Roddenberry passed and, as a result, the vision is dying and taking Trek with it.

Just a thought I have. [​IMG]

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Picard was definately older and more conservative than Sisko. I can see a case for Janeway being the real hardliner out of all the series though.

12. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

They really need to start laying the foundation of the Federation. How did they make the alliances that they had in TOS? When did they start building more star ships?
    How did the Klingon war start?
    How did the Romulan war start?
    When did the first Enterprise style of ship get commissioned?
    There are a thousand different directions they could take this if there was a ounce of creativity there!

13. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

Its not just Trek folks. All TV/movie space SF is in a down period. Farscape, Firefly, EP II, Trek all have underperformed.

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The present regime can either adopt the think-out-of-the-box approach and, as their critics have urged, "take some risks." Or they can dig deep inside the box and try to figure out what made original Star Trek tick. What caused the magic back in 1966? (Part of it, of course, was its uniqueness for the era.) Or they could do both.

But the bigger problem is that the current regime thinks it's thinking outside the box when, in truth, they are not. That's why we get so many of those decontamination-chamber scenes. Proof positive that B&B are unaware that TOS itself made a big deal about being "adult" and "sexy." (When promoting Star Trek during the summer of 1966, NBC kept referring to it being "the first adult science-fiction series." We'll ignore The Outer Limits for now, but that was the tack.)

I keep going back to what I've been saying: The true-blue fans are angry and at the point of giving up, while the casual onlookers think they've seen it all and are no longer interested.

By the way, last week's Enterprise came in dead last in the Neilsens. Yet, as that TV Guide article noted, the series is in no danger of being cancelled. That, of course, opens another line of argument: If B&B think they have job security for the next five years, where's the incentive to improve, declining ratings or no?

They can say all they want to magazine interviewers. They already have said this sort of stuff. And now they can't even fall back on some mediocre holodeck-based plot to mark time.

Prognosis: Trek will be around for a while, but it will look and smell like a corpse.

15. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I guess Survivor has lasted long enough not to be considered a gimmick any more, huh, even with the boys vs. girls angle? [​IMG]

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

18. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Crap -- I totally forgot about Survivor. My soap box has been smashed.:b Oh well, at least they aren't inflicting anything new on us.

19. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Adam,

Actually, you soapbox should still be intact as CBS did not have ANY Ratings Stunt programming. Yes, Survivor is a "reality" show, but it was already on the CBS Schedule to air when and where it did. It's also been on CBS for a few years...right?

All of the other networks, including my own..., had many and varied ratings stunts. CBS did not.

20. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky