What's new

And then where's MAUDE? Or MARY HARTMAN or FERNWOOD 2-NIGHT? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Most of the classic Norman Lear shows are out on DVD.

However, we are missing Mary Hartman, Fernwood 2Nite, and MAUDE.

Is there any news on any of these? As always, I would even accept unsubstantiated rumors. Personally, I'm interested in MHMH and Fernwood but a buddy of mine is really into MAUDE so I thought I would ask the helpful and knowledgable folks on this site.

Many thanks in advance, if anyone knows anything.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
They need to release the rest of Norman Lear's shows.... They've released All in the Family, The Jeffersons, and Sanford and Son... where's the rest?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The rest are...

well, I don't know what their (Columbia's) plans are. They already have One Day at a Time slated for some time in the future. But maybe once Good Times is finished (3 seasons down, 3 to go)

Supporting Actor
i'm sidestepping the topic here becuase I want to know.... which producer was the first to have his show released on DVD in a season set?

I always thought the first producer was Norman Lear with All in the Family, but it appeared that Larry Gelbart also was another producer to have his show released on DVD... I'm stumped!

Okay, back on topic.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Quote: was Norman Lear a close follow up?

Listen, buddy, just face it. You're going to have to scrap your thesis and start over again. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Depends what you mean by close. The X-Files sets started coming out in 2000. The first All in the Family set didn't come out until 2002.

So as far as quantity, it can probably be considered part of the "first wave" of TV-on-DVD. But from a calendar standpoint, it took more than 2 years after TV-on-DVD started appearing for AITF to show up.

Supporting Actor
Between X-Files and All in the Family, what shows were released in the "season set" format?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
and Twin Peaks

So I guess the conclusion is, there were quite a few TV series sets out there prior to "All in the Family."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

No, Larry came out on 2/26/02. AITF came out on 3/26/02.

All this info is available on-line. Feel free to do some of your own research.

WillardK

Second Unit
Noticing that Cell Block H is coming out soon, my thoughts naturally drifted to Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. So I did a forum search. I don't buy much tv on dvd, but I've wanted this one for some time. I do wonder though if MHMH might be the type of series that while so wonderful way back when, will fall flat if viewed today. It was like an ongoing piece of performance art and it DID have it's dull stretches. Is it better left a memory untainted by reassessment? Naaaaaaaah.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I discovered MARY HARTMAN only a few years ago in the form of cable re-runs. I'd say it holds up marvelously.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks