AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945) - which DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GlennH, Jul 21, 2002.

1. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    It appears that Rene Clair's 1945 film version of Agatha Christie's AND THEN THERE WERE NONE has 3 separate DVD releases.
    One is by Madacy, and I eliminate that one on reputation of the company alone.
    Next, there is a version by VCI. This one has an MSRP of $9.99, and can be had for a very nice price of only $5.32 at DeepDiscountDVD.com. I found the following reviews for it:
    ATTWN (VCI) review at dvdreview.com
    ATTWN (VCI) review at The Cinema Laser
    ATTWN (VCI) review at lightviews.com
    The concensus seems to be that it's pretty good, perhaps a bit soft on the video.
    Then there is a more recent release by Image. This one costs more -- the MSRP is $24.99, and the DDD price is about $17.99. Here is a review of the Image release by Jeff Ulmer:
    ATTWN (Image) review at digitallyobsessed.com
    I can't find any comments directly comparing these two versions. Is the Image release better, and if so, is it enough to justify more than triple the street price of the VCI release? My initial thought is that the Image release price point is a bit high these days.
    Finally, since everybody seems to be putting out a version of this, what's the prospects for a Criterion release, which I'm sure would get the best treatment of all?
    This is a classic film that I'd like to add to my collection at some point. All comments are welcomed.

2. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

Glenn:
    I own both the VCI and Image versions. Though the Image disc is somewhat dirtier (and quite dirty at that--specks, scratches, and dirt spot the image quite noticably), it is infinitely superior in sharpness and contrast. Image values are actually very nicely rendered.
    The print used for the VCI release is murky and undetailed enough to almost give the suggestion of 16mm film. Too, the audio track is out of synch for part of the film (corrected on the Image disc).
    As for Madacy, the brand name itself ought to be enough to say, "stay away!"
    Here's more on the various DVD incarnations of this classic murder mystery:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=67962
    It doesn't appear that there is much hope of Criterion gaining the rights to this film any time soon.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I have both VCI and Image dvds and I agree that the Image dvd has a much better looking picture and sound.

Crawdaddy

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Thanks for the info Agee and Crawdaddy. I searched but somehow didn't turn up that thread. Good information.

Looks like maybe the Image version is the way to go. Too bad it doesn't have the VCI cover art, as I prefer that. But the movie itself is the main thing.

I'll put the Image DVD on the "future purchase" list. Too many other priorities right now. Maybe they'll drop the MSRP sometime.