What's new

And then there was one.... Frank Thomas passes away (1 Viewer)

Brandon Manning

Auditioning
For those who don't know him, here is a snippet from the article over at JimHillMedia.com that lists the highlights:

I mean, just look at some of the highlights from Thomas' incredible career:

The Seven Dwarfs weeping over the fallen princess' body in 1937's "Snow White."
The little wooden boy capering at Stromboli's puppet theater in 1940's "Pinocchio"
Thumper teaching the young prince to ice skate in 1942's "Bambi."
The panicked school teacher trying to escape the Headless Horseman in 1949's "The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad."
The cold & scheming stepmother, Lady Tremaine, in 1950's "Cinderella."
The Queen of Heart's explosive appearance in 1951's "Alice in Wonderland."
Captain Hook's elegantly evil performance in 1953's "Peter Pan."
The dog's romantic dinner at Tony's in 1955's "Lady and the Tramp."
Flora, Fauna & Merriweather -- the fussy old fairies in 1959's "Sleeping Beauty."
Dick Van Dyke dancing with those penguins in 1964's "Mary Poppins."
Baloo struggling to tell Mowgli that he has to leave the forest in 1967's "The Jungle Book."

My condolences to his family, friends and fans. He truly was a legend.

RIP :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those who don't have a clue who we're talking about here...Frank Thomas was one of Walt Disney original animators...one of Walt's "nine old men".

Do yourself a favor and find a copy of Disney's "Frank & Ollie". You'll be glad you did.

A true Disney legend.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Who is left? I had the honor and pleasure of getting many of the Snow White animators' autographs in 1994 at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, when a special exhibit containing the film's original artwork and cels were displayed. One of them was Ward Kimball.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
But what a wonderful legacy! Delighting children for countless years to come. They don't make classical animation like that any more and we may never see its like again. He was there at the beginning and he lasted until the end of an era in animation.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Delighting children for countless years to come. They don't make classical animation like that any more and we may never see its like again. He was there at the beginning and he lasted until the end of an era in animation."

His work entertained children, but I think adults appreciated his work exponentially more than any child. As for the "end of an era", personally I'm *sad* that he lived to see Eisner sell off the animation desks, kick Roy Disney to the curb, and throw decades of tradition into the crapper.

Frank Thomas was one of the great film actors of the 20th Century, and I'll take a moment tonight to mourn his passing.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The last remaining "Old Man" is Frank's best friend, Ollie Johnston.

Rest in peace, Frank. The dwarfs are weeping.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
A great animator. Frank Thomas was a nmae I was aware of as one of the Nine Old Men, but I never knew just what it was he animated. When you read that list at the start of the thread, with some of the greatest moments of animation, like the grieving dwarfs or the Lady and the Tramp dinner, you realise that he really was an exceptional artist.

Rest In Peace, Frank.

MikeRS

Screenwriter

The way in which Grumpy was the most unbearably heartbroken of all the dwarfs, is what really get's me in this scene.

Great artist.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
RIP Frank Thomas! :frowning:

Like Walt Disney himself, Mr. Thomas was a pioneer, a trailblazer and a visionary in an art form that is uniquely American.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks