What's new

And the under-achieving center channel of the year award goes to........... (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You actually found a Seismic 12 within 2 days of posting a wanted ad on Canuck Audio Mart ?

I hope I have similar luck with a Servo 15 :D

MikeGee

Second Unit
not to beat a dead horse here by bringing up this old thread...
but i am currently running 4 Athena AS-B2's , i was looking into getting the AS-C1 for my center but seeing how i want to run F2's for my front main speakers i was thinking about running this ..

AS-f2 (front)
AS-b2 (surrounds)
AS-b2 (center/rear surround)
Some sorta of subwoofer when i get the $$ this would give me my 6.1 setup... anyone have any reviews after running the AS-b2's as a center channel for a while compaired to the C1?
Thanks again
~mike

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Mike,

I have been using a B2 as a center for several months now and much prefer it to the C1 for my room. But others have been happy with the C1. Have you hooked up one of your B2s in the center channel position and tried it?

I'm still hoping that Athena releases an updated Audition line this year with an improved center.

Just based on this thread at the very *least* people are considering the B2 as good as a C1 for centre use. You have already spent the money and own the B2's, I say just move 'em to centre and back simply based on the general comments from this thread.

disclaimer: I own 6 B2's and may be biased. I am absolutely not an audiophile so heard no difference in the two, thus it was an easy choice for me.

disclaimer2: I am also cheap. ;)

MikeGee

Second Unit
I do not have my receiver yet actually. I'm just running my 4 B2's off a L/R input in back of my tv to break them in until i get my receiver. (waiting till the 1014tx drops in price, seeing how i missed out last week getting one for 500$ canadian)

i was thinking that the C1 would be better as a center just because of the dual 5 1/4" speakers which makes it more even on both sides when positioned horizontally, however i've read up on alot of ppl running it vertically... any specific reason why?

I think i'll end up running the B2 as a center and if i feel its inadequate i'll try my luck spending more $$ and getting a C1 and putting the B2 to the rear.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Over on AVS Forum I read that some people were using this speaker with the AS-F2's. Seems to be a better fit because it has a 6.5" passive radiator instead of two 5.25" woofers like the AS-C1.

I'm running B2 fronts and B1 rears with a Boston CRC center channel. I'll replace the Boston shortly, just waiting for another incredible deal on an Athena.

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using (3) AS-C1's as my LCR and (2) AS-B1's for my surrounds and could NOT be happier.

On movies like Nemo and Monsters inc. that have alot of dialog from the fronts, you really notice the difference in the sound stage.

On my system the actors voice sounds exactly the same no matter which speaker it comes from.

I can't say thats always the same on other systems I've heard, even when they have a "matched" center designed to "match" the mains.

The AS-C1's rock, and if you haven't heard them for yourself, then by all means LISTEN to them, don't read about them!!!

Darryl

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
darrylCHER,
So based on your findings, it would be best for me to buy another B2 so I'll have a seamless front stage with 3 exact same speakers. Guess I won't need to listen to the AS-C1 after all. It might actually be cheaper this way if I can find a single B2.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
How bout the Mirage OM-C3? It is made by the same company that makes athena (API), however they are built in differenct factories and use inhouse built drivers, I don't know if the athena does or doesn't, so I wont say anything about that. Both speaker brands are have a laid back sound so they might match up well, and the OM-C3 has a PTH tweeter and dual 5.25" woofers. I used one for a while, then i got an INCREDIBLE deal on the OM-C2, so now my OM-C3 is just sitting there. They are going for a street price of around $200usd used, they retailed for $399 I believe.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
My front setup consists of 2 AS-F2s and my older Onkyo center than came with my original HTiB. The Onkyo is soo far behind the AS-F2s I completely shut it off because I felt it distracted from the movie that badly. I am running a 4.1 setup now.

I was waiting for BestBuy to have the AS-C1 on sale again for $150 to pick it up. But after reading this thread, people are saying that I would be better off with a B2 instead of C1 as my new center.

Where can I purchase a single B2?

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know if AudioAdvisor.com will price-match other online retailers for the price of an AS-C1?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks