And the Bose propoganda machine rolls on...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Jan 10, 2002.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I figured this would be the best area for this thread. Just watched a paid advertisment for the Bose acoustic wave music system. Geared to all those that really want good sound but in truth don't really know where to start.
    For a monthly payment of $89.92 American (assuming 12 months, but who knows until you call) you can have this wonderful Bose sound. With the likes of Herbie Hancock, some audio-scientists and violinists singing its praises, it makes it easy for the average person to break out the plastic.
    I have not heard this particular unit so I will not knock it. But as a dissapointed Bose owner in my audio infancy I can say this reeks of
    1: The Bose sound and
    2: Taking advantage of the unsuspecting buyer.
    All of you new to this forum and to audio...let this be your first lesson. Your ears will eternally thank you and your wallet will save thousands. [​IMG]

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Michael,
    My Mom bought my Dad the Bose Wave Radio for Christmas last year. How does it sound you ask? It sounds good, but no way does it sound $400 good. If she paid $80 to $100 I would say she got her money's worth but not $400.
    Also, my neighbor has the Bose Acoustimass Home Theater system. He had some older Bose speakers that he brought up to their headquarters and they gave him a credit towards a new system so he upgraded to the Acoustimass (the one's with the dual cubes). He thought they were the greatest things ever. I watched some DVD's at his house and I was also impressed...until I got my own system. I bought the same receiver he did (Denon AVR-2800) and since we have the same style house the room dimensions are also the same. However I bought the Energy Take 5 system and Energy eXL:S10 powered sub (Made in Canada!) for half what he paid for his Bose setup. As soon as I hooked it up I knew I made the right decision. When my neighbor came over and heard my setup he was very impressed. When I told him what I paid for it he said two words: "Holy Shit". It's funny how now he always wants to watch movies at my house. [​IMG]

3. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Dude,
    You look so drunk in that picture [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Todd Beachler

Todd Beachler Stunt Coordinator

I think it's funny how in that mis-infomercial that play a cd through a 'normal' player and then play it through the Bose system. An average person at home doesn't stop to think they are listening to this ad on a tv with small built-in speakers, that Bose has 'sweetened' the mix, etc. Just sad.

I also love confronting Bose users about their problem. I ask them, "Why is Bose good?" "Well, they just are," is the reply. They don't understand that they are just regurgitating ad propoganda, motos and slogans. Just sad.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

We have a nice shopping area here in town, kind of the "Rodeo Drive" with Nordstroms, Bang & Olfshan, Sharper Image, etc..

There was a sign on a empty store announcing "Coming Soon: the Bose store".

Ughhh. There goes the property values.