What's new

And the 2007 Universal Horror/Sci-Fi Classic Titles are... (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

How true, but the other aspect is that Dr. Cyclops is a "Paramount" title in reality, which leave room for island of lost souls on the next set if they do this again.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I was wondering about that when I fired up my copy last night. Does Universal own some of the Paramount back catalog or something (similar to the Warner Bros./MGM library relationship)? I find it astonishing to think Universal would have otherwise licensed this for inclusion in a set of this type. Surely, there has to be some other Universal material they could have included.

Don't get me wrong BTW, I am thrilled to pieces that Dr. Cyclops made the set! I am just surprised to see it there now that I know it is a Paramount picture...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Universal, like any other major movie studio, owns a considerable library. It owns almost every feature and short produced by the company, as well as almost all TV shows Revue/Universal made. In addition, Universal owns almost all of the pre-1950 sound features originally made by Paramount Pictures—these films came under Universal ownership when MCA purchased the films in 1957 via its in-name only division EMKA, Ltd. (This library also includes the 1948 MGM film State of the Union, which was acquired by Paramount after its purchase of Liberty Films), as well as a few Alfred Hitchcock features originally released by Paramount. which the have bee so goosd at releasing the hitchcock, makes me wish they owned the african queen!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Those 5 Hitch titles were purchased back by Hitchcock, with certain rights given to Universal. Psycho was traded for MCA stock.

And I agree on TAQ... Universal would have had a Legacy Series already, with a beautiful Technicolor restoration. Besides Dr. Cyclops, Phantom of the Opera '43, Arabian Nights, and Rope look stunning on DVD.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection Volume 2

I visited two Best Buys -- one had it in New Releases and also in Science Fiction, under the letter C for Classic.

The other -- I had to ask for it, the girl wheeled it out on a cart, handed me one, and proceeded to put the others in the Horror Section, under S for Sci-Fi.

Typical Best Buy clerk logic.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I was pleased to still find copies on the shelf at the local BB today. Needless to say I bought one. I'm also one of those who sold their collection 1 discs for over a hundred bucks. As much as I like the movies I can't say no to an easy $100 and I'm sure they'll come around again some day in some format.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Well it would be nice for them to do a legacy of touch of evil, the only legacy i have heard about this year is the Birds and Psycho, what is the third one?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Disc 1 of mine plays fine, but according to CDSpeed it's 96% bad sectors. I think I may make a backup copy of that disc just to be on the safe side.....

My BB also had it in Sci-Fi under "C".

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Good call. Played a little with Power DVD and then ran the check again and it's 100% green. Thanks for the tip!

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
You're welcome. I did the exact same thing when I first started using disc-checkers.

They're a lot less painful than watching a disc all the way through.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I;ve been to 3 Best Buys and Nothing. Last years set I ordered online. Guess I am not mean't to have this set. Best Buy really is turning into a not very reliable store. I have been leaving there too much lately empty handed or disappointed.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Looks like BEST BUY finally (finally!) has the exclusive SCI-FI V2 set up for order on their website, as well as the upcoming exclusive UNIVERSAL HORROR CLASSIC MOVIE ARCHIVE set available for pre-order, though no specs, descriptions or box art listed there yet for either set, so the product pages appear very generic. Here are the links--

UNIVERSAL CLASSIC SCI-FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION VOL. 2:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=Movies&ks=960

(though it's on back-order at the moment)

UNIVERSAL HORROR CLASSIC MOVIE ARCHIVE:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=Movies&ks=960

(contains MAN-MADE MONSTER, THE BLACK CAT ('41), CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN, etc)

Sure beats paying the e-scalpers.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

That's hilarious. I called my local Worst Buy to see if they had it, it took the guy forever before he came back to the phone and said he couldn't find it on the shelves or in the back, I finally looked up that item number from this thread and gave it to him, a while more of waiting, and finally he said he found it under V for Volume 2!!!

Simply UN-B-EFFING-LIEVABLE.

Anyway, I've got mine. Picked up last year's set when it came out too, and I'm sure glad I did! :)

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
does anyone think vol2 will end up being sold at amazon eventually like vol1 did?I got a copy of vol 1 at amazon in january,as i live in england it was the only way I could get a copy pretty cheaply,I am so glad I did as well, seeing as how much vol1 is now.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron

The links didn't work and I'm not finding the title on that site. There isn't a Best Buy anywhere near me but I could ask a friend to find me a copy, since he goes to Best Buy near where he works a lot. I just don't know when I will see him again. I bought the first Vol off Amazon but I don't know if they will carry the new volume. This is really frustrating

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks