What's new

And the 2007 Universal Horror/Sci-Fi Classic Titles are... (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I got to WORST BUY at 9:55, and was the first one at the shelves. There were 16 copies of the Exclusive Set there, and I bought one - I nearly bought one extra to sell later on, but changed my mind.

Two other fans arrived right after me, they each picked up one copy. All three of us were looking for the MGM Midnite Movies, but they were not stocked. One of the guys asked an employee to look them up on the computer, and he got it all wrong no matter what we told him:

"MIGNIGHT MOVIE" (instead of "MIDNITE MOVIES").

"RETURN TO DRACULA" (instead of "RETURN OF DRACULA").

And so on....

Ultimately, he confirmed that these were available online, at which point one of these guys ripped him a new a-hole, saying how he's sick and tired of Worst Buy driving everyone else out of the business, and that at least they used to carry everything. He also said he doesn't like putting his credit card online, and he's sick of racking up a huge amount of credit charges, etc.... Then he said how the store lost a huge sale right here, as we three fans would have bought at least 15 discs between us. Actually, I would have said exactly these same things, but this fella saved me the trouble!

At the checkout counter the clerk asked how I was doing, and I told him -- this store is useless, etc...

I walked right across the way to FYE -- nothing.

I drove to CIRCUIT CITY -- nothing.

Looks like the Midnite Movies will have to be gotten online.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I was there at 5 after 10 and there was already someone in the section with a copy in their hand...presumably looking in vain for some other titles that weren't there.

When I left there were 4 or 5 still in the rack.

I don't think you will see anywhere near the same frenzy for this set a year from now. I'm also confident that the 'exclusive' part is only for a pre-specified time frame, and once that is over, Universal will produce these sets for general distribution.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good man. :)

I was at BB when they opened and they had 20 copies on the shelf and then some sleazy scalper came up and grabbed 5 copies. He was in front of me at the registers and fortunately, they enforced the '3 copies only' policy that they have. Of course, he probably just went right back in and bought another 3 copies anyway.

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Hi
I also picked up a copy at Best Buy and I must say that they were very helpful. The salesgirl knew exactly what I wanted, believe me I am not a big fan of the Best Buy chain. I'll be looking forward to the next Universal Horror set. I won't be able to view my prize purchase till later this week, if anybody has a review please post.
Thanks
Dan

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm not THAT much of a good man, Travis -- the reason I only settled for one copy was because this happens to be a tight week! :D
Hey, I certainly could use an extra few hundred bucks!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
is anyone actually spending a $100 on these? I'm a movie fan, but lets face it, theres other ways of obtaining these then blowing huge chunks of cash on a speculated secondary market.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I hear the first set was/is selling for a lot. I know of some people who got over $100 for a $20 investment.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I made it during lunch and got my copy as well, didnt have any extra cash on hand or i would have gotten another copy or two. i have already looked on a couple of different places , nothing on amazon yet, but ebay already has it for 20 over cost, this is BS. and i know there are guys in our neighbor to the north really PO'ed because it isnt there. Hell if i had the extra cash i would have picked up one , and mailed it for cost. just so the numbers work out good enough that next year we get a volume 3!

any one else think this is a bad idea, sticking it to worst buy and the scalpers, na didnt think so

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Ya, but look at how this "reverse" marketing (actually no marketing!) and the limited access is making these things apparently fly off the shelves on release day like no other. Collectors' panic, profiteers, and the general consensus among other forum members who just want the set is to "get it NOW!!!" Maybe Universal would sell more overall going through all the normal channels, but it looks like every single copy they printed of this will eventually sell out on its own with no marketing money spent at all. Call it collector mania marketing running the show.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I love about how up till today, everyone was bitching about people buying extra copies so they can sell them for a profit, and now a bunch of them are talking about how they should of done just that. :S

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Russ, actually what i said is that i know some out side of the states that cant get this, i would be willing at cost, if i would have had the extra cash, and picked up a second copy. i think this exclusive is ridiculous as most but seems that everyone is scrambling to get this quick. as a matter of fact it still doesnt show up on the bestbuy site is even funnier, and not even the first day in its going fr 39 bucks a pop on ebay.

all a lock does is keep an honest man honest, that said, if you had an extra copy, and six month later and put it on ebay and the price went thru the roof good for you. i know that sounds like i am taking the scalpers side, no i am not. sort of like comic books, no matter wat its worth, it really only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Check that Dr Cyclops plays. There's a post over on CHD from someone whose copy of that won't play, with the good ol' "freeze/pixellate/lockup" problem. And yep, guess what, the discs are marked "Made in Mexico", why do Universal keep using those jokers? And we though it was just DVD-18 discs, looks like they can't make DVD-9's either without screwing something up.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I played a few minutes from Dr Cyclops and played the entire portion of Cult Of The Cobra.

I may have to take back what I said- This looks like its going to be a fun set. I might end up enjoying it more than the first volume.
Watching just a few minutes of Dr Cyclops reminded how much I enjoyed that film in the past. There is a great performance by Decker and some wicked cool technicolor work. Always loved the way that pulsating green radium glow looked. I used to have this briefly on Laserdisc about 15 years ago, and thats the last time I saw it. It was well worth the $20 all by itself for me.
Checked out the transfers for all the films, and Cobra was the weakest one, and even that wasn't bad at all. Mantis looked very crisp as did Land Unknown and Leech Woman.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Someone else on CHF has said their disc with Cobra/Cyclops is defective too.

-sigh-

Makes me wonder if we're into the bad old times where most copies are defective but some players cope with the faults...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Makes me glad I picked up two... maybe one of them will play.

I only ever saw Dr Cyclops on a black & white TV 40 or so years ago so I'm looking forward to that.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Try looking in the sci-fi section under "c" for "classic".

No guarantees though, it's been found in other places, or out back...and a few BB's look like they don't have it at all.

Or it could be sold out.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I watched DR. CYCLOPS and CULT OF THE COBRA last night, and both played fine. Of course, past experiences with Universal problematic releases has taught me that this may mean nothing the NEXT time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks