What's new

And the 2007 Universal Horror/Sci-Fi Classic Titles are... (2 Viewers)

stewprime

Agent
Real Name
Stew
All I know is I can't wait to see Dr. Cyclops again!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Haven't seen that movies since I was about 13-14 (I'm 34 now). Guaranteed I'll be purchasing that one come 9/11. :D

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Just a little frustrating, two weeks away and nothing shows up yet on the best buy site. But oddly enough the Midnight movies and Fox titles are already there, some how that doesnt make any kind of sense. If this is something that is exclusive to only Best Buy you would think that it would have been on the site as soon as the announcement went out. but if they drag their feet how can they expect to keep getting exclusive's like this. well at least they have the UE of Hunchback on there.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

Yes, but it hasn't been "announced", not "officially". That can only be said when you see adverts for it. Last year, there was an advert campaign for the first set - I suspect that this year it will appear in Worst Buy's weekly advertisement.

It may only appear in the Monday flyer just before the Tuesday release.

It may only appear on the website on the release day (that's what they did with the Worst Buy Flash Gordon Exclusive disc just out).

Last years release was up for pre-order for about a month.

It's also possible that the release date has been put back.

I agree it is very, very frustrating.

You almost get to think that Universal want to sell as few copies of it as they can.

Why don't all you folks in the USA (which is the only place it will be on sale and you're the only people who can buy it as Worst Buy don;t ship outside the US) all bombard their customer service lines with queries?

They might put it up for pre-order if there's enough interest shown.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Still no word on last year's BB exclusive being released in regular channels? That seems just weird. OK, exclusive window fine. But mastering and pressing all those movies just to sell a handful of them at BB seems...weird, yes.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

Nope, the only "announcements" have been in places like DVD-Drive-In and the Classic Horror Forums.

The news has been carried in some other DVD sites as well, but most of these are using DVD-Drive-In as their source.

I think it has either been delayed, or this year, it won;t be up for pre-order. As I said, the Flash Gordon Exclusive only appeared for order on the website on the day it hit the shelves.

I repeat, it would be worth a USA reader or two to query Worst Buy about this directly.

Maybe someone has just forgotten to put it up for pre-order! It can happen...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
only announcement i remember from last year was the brief statement on dvddrive-in , the got luck enough to remember the week and showed up at the store. but when they were doing the exclusive for BSG, it was on there site well in advance.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

Last year the news broke on DVDReview. There was great scepticism as to whether their information was real, because it was so late - about a month before release, and information usually makes it;s way out to the public domain long before that.

But this was explained a few days later when they updated the story to indicate that the set was to be Best Buy exclusive.

It was on pre-order for about 3-4 weeks though.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok so the sci fi collection should be out in 2 weeks, and it is still not showing up, maybe someone at he best buy website dropped the ball?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm going to say it, without fear of repercussions. Best Buy has gone to Hell ... the selection stinks, the prices aren't competitive any more, the help is worse than ever (which means it has hit rock bottom), and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who hardly ever sets foot in the store any more.

Of course, I'll have to set foot on September 11, but I wouldn't be shocked if this set isn't there.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
The possibilities are:

Best Buy have screwed up and the set should be up for pre-order but isn't.

The set won't be up for pre-order at all, but only appear on the release date or just before it. (Which is what they did with their Flash Gordon Exclusive).

Universal have delayed the release.

Universal have cancelled the release.

The deal with Best Buy has fallen through, and the release is delayed until Universal reach a deal with another store (would be great if it was Amazon!) or it will go on general release after all.

Perhaps readers on here will remember the debacle with the last wave of Midnite Movie releases? They were initially going to be Best Buy Exclusives (as indeed many of the previous Midnites were, releasing generally later) in March 2005 (plus "selected online Canadian DVD stores"). But the whole thing fell through, and they didn't appear. Except in Canada. As I recall, they were supposed to be BB exclusive in March and go on a general release in roughly September 2005. In the end they were delayed entirely until later that year.

It was obvious that MGM and Best Buy fell out over it.

In a way I hope that the same happens with these, and that Universal just goes with a standard release pattern, or picks somewhere like Amazon instead.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I could deal with it being on amazon, but you are right, with the decline of best buy, at one point you could find some really good stuff, now i have been to the local one, and the "kid" who was helping me didnt even know the title i was asking about, didnt know that it was released the day before, because it wasnt in the new releases, and got lost for 10 min trying to find it in the back, and this was the Karloff and Chaney that came out last year.

then looking through the other classic titles, i see on the cellophane of "all quiet on the western front" a sticker for contains 5 classic Karloff titles, which should have been on that instead, its like who is watching over this??
all i know is i will be at the store on the 11, bothering someone till they find it in the back then have to go through it all again in a month later

Barrie Maxwell of at the Bits had something to say about this as well, pretty funny read, but i agree where in the hell is island of lost souls, if they are going to continue doing these sets lets us know instead of just droping them haphazard

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Odd notion just came to me and I don’t understand, if one of the problems is marketing all of these titles, to the point that it is an exclusive Release to best buy, then I think that part of the blame falls on universal as well, I mean take a look at it the flat out own , NBC, USA, and SCI-FI channel, now if there isn’t a tie in with Sci-fi channel, that is crazy, market the hell out of it that whole weekend, forget the crappy Saturday night movie, and show one or two of the titles instead then run the promos during that state exclusively this week at best buy.

Its not like WB doesn’t put new classic releases on TMC to coincide when they are coming out , maybe its time Universal got smart and did the same.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Hi All,
Any word on these titles yet. Went to BestBuy site and did not see them listed yet. What was to be the date of their release?
Thanks.
bob

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I believe the Sci-Fi set is supposed to be due out September 11. The horror set was sometime in October. At this point, we'll know in the next 10 days.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=262069

Ok time for some old fashion networking, i know that a lot on this site have been asking, if this is really going to happen, then this weeks flyer cam out and not a damn thing was listed. Well just to let you know it has not been cancelled it is happening. i decided to go a different route and call one of the stores, actual got ahold of someone who was willing to go and do their job, and search and not just the web site. so for all of you having difficulty this will help.

item # 8402622
item listed as classic sci fi v2 cl vx

the local store has like 26 copies in stock, and i will be in the parking lot early, just to get one. hopefully tis will help if the say they dont have it, call in advance and check nothing still on the website, this year maybe B&M is the way to go about getting this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks