What's new

And the 2007 Universal Horror/Sci-Fi Classic Titles are... (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Yes! I am in. Love The Deadly Mantis. That was one of my favorite MST3K's. To bad we wont ever see that on DVD.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi

It's one of my favorite MST3K's as well, remember... "Oh Little Town of Deathlehem"

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I like every movie in both sets, with special kudos to MAN MADE MONSTER, NIGHT MONSTER and DR. CYCLOPS. I can't wait to get both of these sets. Perhaps Uni is holding ISLAND OF LOST SOULS for a future Paramount horror collection. I hope they release it soon.

StevenA

Second Unit

Thanks for the info on the Kino DVD of The Old Dark House, John; however, I had read somewhere that it's from a 16mm print, which didn't sound too promising. Not 100% sure of that, though.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
The Kino Old Dark House is the only disc available and does look pretty "iffy". There's supposed to be a perfect looking print out there (I think at the George Eastman House - ?). Would be great if this print could get a DVD release. But if it is at the Eastman House, don't hold your breath for that...!

According to Tom Weaver (on the CHFB), the laser disc/VHS of Island of Lost Souls didn't exactly set the cash registers on fire (i.e., they didn't sell squat), so Uni is probably not anxious to invest in a DVD release.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Good point, but I sure never ran into many VHS copies of LEECH WOMAN, CULT OF THE COBRA, BLACK CAT (1941), MAN-MADE MONSTER, CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN, etc. in my years and years of hitting video stores. I doubt any of those really sold that well either back in the laserdisc/VHS era. I've run into more copies of DR. CYCLOPS for some strange reason, though, and I've seen more copies of LOST SOULS for rent than most of those other titles. DVD is also a different era. People who would never buy VHS movies or would not pay the laserdisc prices would now immediately buy those same titles they once skipped if released on DVD. So there's no reason ISLAND OF LOST SOULS couldn't at least be a part of one of these collections if not an individual release. It remains the biggest gem in the unreleased on DVD Universal horror catalog as far as I'm concerned. No contest whatsoever.

EDIT:

PS - I am still thrilled with these upcoming releases. Sometimes getting some 'lesser'' films that you would never expect to see the light of day on DVD is reason to rejoice. Give us anything that's not out there as far as I'm concerned. ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and more established unreleased films will eventually see a release down the line. It's just having patience to wait for them.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes, there has been a gorgeous print floating around... I saw it in NYC back in February 2006 at the Film Forum.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Kino version is culled from both 16mm and 35mm elements. It's certainly worth getting if you can find it, for the time being. Plus it's got some great extra features.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Unbelievable. 10 Sci-Fi and Horror films in two collections, Island of Lost Souls could've been included in either set and it still didn't make the cut. Thanks Universal. :thumbsdown:

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Next year, they could put together a nice "Mad Doctor" set:

Island of Lost Souls
Murders in the Zoo
The Mad Ghoul
The Mad Doctor of Market Street
The Monster and the Girl -or -The Man in Half Moon Street

Unless I'm mistaken, those all had crazy doctors in them.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm still pleased that Universal is steadily releasing collections every year. Thanks, Universal, indeed! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

That's all right for you to say, Joe. On my part, I only have the most utter contempt for Universal and their fucking Best Buy exclusives! Thank God, I'm far more than just a classic horror junkie and Universal can stuff these sets up their oh-so-smart ass for all I care...

Thankfully, I have already acquired HORROR ISLAND (1941) and NIGHT MONSTER (1942) on DVD-R so I won't exactly miss them on DVD...but the same can't be said about MAN-MADE MONSTER (1941) and THE BLACK CAT (1941) - neither of which I've ever seen - or DR. CYCLOPS (1940) which I've only watched on Italian TV eons ago! Oh well, maybe in a year's time, Amazon will deign itself to offer it to its customers for a limited time period just like it did a few weeks ago with Universal's previous Best Buy exclusive, The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection.

By the way, I almost forgot...FUCK YOU UNIVERSAL AND BEST BUY!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't planning on buying these sets since the titles are of minimal interest to me but after reading Mario Gauci's post, they're both definite purchases for me. Universal needs to know that some of us do appreciate their attempts to bring B cult movies to the DVD arena, whatever way possible whether thru the normal channels, Best Buy exclusives or stuffed into a cereal box.

By the way, I almost forgot...THANK YOU UNIVERSAL AND BEST BUY!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm with Mario. Plus I totally missed that Amazon got a hold of this to sell. Piss on Universal and store exclusives. These titles don't sell shit if they aren't available everywhere.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
If it will make anyone feel better, "The Black Cat" (1941) is a really awful movie, which is more unfunny comedy and unmysterious mystery than horror, anyway.

One would think making deals that result in a product being sold by only one chain would be illegal, wouldn't one? But I guess it isn't.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Whew...makes you know really quick who lives in the US, and has a Best Buy in the area. I am in the thanks Universal and Best Buy side. Also ,thank god they dont use DVD 18s...that would really suck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks