What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
When British conglomerate EMI decided to try its hand in the film industry, the brass picked actor/writer/director Bryan Forbes to help shepherd the new film company and get it on its feet during its formative years. One of the 11 film projects Forbes gave the green light to during his tenure – And Soon the Darkness – was an attempt to follow in the footsteps of the great Alfred Hitchcock in terms of suspense. Previously released on DVD by Anchor Bay, Kino has picked the film for Blu-ray release as part of its Studio Classics line.

And Soon the Darkness (1970)

Released: 09 Apr 1971
Rated: PG
Runtime: 94 min

Director: Robert Fuest
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller

Cast: Pamela Franklin, Michele Dotrice, Sandor Elès, John Nettleton
Writer(s): Brian Clemens (original story), Terry Nation (original story), Brian Clemens (screenplay), Terry...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

mark-edk

Second Unit
This movie took me by surprise; I'd never heard of it but was intrigued because of the 'Avengers' connection. What an engrossing, suspenseful film. Thanks for the review; the Blu-Ray is going into my cart.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I've always WANTED to love this movie - I owned a 16mm print of it, but I never thought any of it worked because the red herrings were so ridiculous to me. I love Pamela Franklin, though. The lead guy is pretty mediocre. The Laurie Johnson score is pure Herrmann borrowings. All that said, this disc looks fantastic. The color is prefect and gorgeous and one need only compare it to Madigan to know how sorry-looking that awful brown transfer is.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Solid British mystery thriller from a number of talents behind The Avengers TV series. Pamela Franklin (Jane) and Michelle Dotrice (Cathy) play two young London women who take a biking holiday in the French Countryside. When they find themselves separated, Cathy disappears. As Jane searches for her, she comes across several locals of various degrees of suspicion and 'helpfullness'.

The screenplay is by Brian Clemens and Terry Nation (who each wrote for The Avengers) and co-produced with Albert Fennell (another series alum). The film is directed by Robert Fuest (who helmed 7 episodes) with music by Avengers regular Laurie Johnson and shot by Ian Wilson (ditto). With all that in mind, AND SOON THE DARKNESS isn't as sharp and stylish as that TV series. Fuest also directed the vivid Dr. Phibes films. Still, DARKNESS is an effective suspense tale. The always welcome Franklin is quite good as the harried tourist. Dotrice has kept performing, mainly on British TV. The supporting cast including Sando Eles, John Nettleton and Clare Kelly are all fine. A little knowledge of the French language might provide an early clue or two (there are no subtitles).

P.S. A 2010 remake featuring Amber Heard came and went

Attachments

• soon4.jpg
    soon4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks