And, so, Warner: _2001_ goes wide depending on the 70mm run?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

How interesting!

The studio has stated that 2001: A Space Odyssey's reissue going into wide release is contingent upon its box-office performance during the current 70mm run.

Great!

The studio reissues the film and, as noted in a previous thread, does almost zip to promote it. How can people plan on attending a 70mm screening of the film if they don't even know it's playing in the first place?

Warner: Again, why did you even bother? How do you expect the film to perform even minimally if the studio is unwilling to spend the money to promote it? You strike up fresh 70mm prints with improved sound mixes, and to what end?

MGM should have the film back under its distribution domain.

2. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

Of course, now that it is 2002, what is the point really [​IMG]

3. Rain

Rain Producer

The point is that it's the greatest film ever made, regardless of what year it is now.

The point is that this film could be seen by a whole new generation that hasn't yet had an opportunity or isn't even aware of the film.

The point is that I want to see a 70mm print in my area and I know I'm not the only one.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I'm with you. Indeed, I was so certain of Warner's incompetance in handling this reissue that I drove 500 miles round-trip to Washington DC in November to see it at The Uptown in 70mm. There was no way I was taking the chance that Warner wouldn't give it a New York City run (which finally did happen in late December). When I called Warner's distribution ofice in NYC to inquire, they had no idea if it would ever come to New York. This was a little more than one month BEFORE it played there! Once in town, there was precisely ONE very small ad in the New York Times promoting it. Yet, it still managed to play for over 3 weeks at the Astor Plaza.

If their regular distribution division is disinterested in the film, why a studio as large as Warner wouldn't let their "classics" department handle this reissue is mind-boggling. Talk about leaving money on the table!

5. Donald W

Donald W Stunt Coordinator

yeah this sucks....2001 is the greatest film ever made along with Citzen Kane...I thought I read or heard somewhere that they were planing on playing it on IMAX screens on or around January 1 2001 but I'm not sure...I know that it came to SF at the Castro back in October I think...I do know that it was just a small ad that ran for it...but in the ad it stated that it was a Tunner Classic Film...I just feel bad that Kubrick is rolling over in his grave because of what they have done...I think if he knew he would want someone to take it out of their hands and not release it at all if it wasn't done right...

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I seriously think WB should let their Warner Classics division have more control over re-releases.