1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

And so I watched the _Thirteen Days_ DVD...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

...and I have to agree with Widescreen Review's Laurie Serano: It's too much--and way too much like, as Serano says, "what watching TV has become." Pop-up balloons, distracting geegaws, etc. Better to leave the "Infinifilm" feature turned off, in my opinion.
    Transfer-wise, I suppose the disc is fine--though it appears awfully soft. Not having seen Thirteen Days in the commercial cinemas, I have no way of knowing how close the transfer is to the original. If it's close, then I guess you could call it a decent transfer. Audio-wise, it's something else.
    As for the film, well--why embellish the truth? I mean, what really happened is as compelling as "real life" gets. Kenny O'Donnell, though very close to both Jack and Bobby, was simply not a key player in the events that took the world to the brink of nuclear war. Also, as one print reviewer noted, how come all the shots of the Northrup F5 aircraft? The thing didn't see service until 1964.
    Oddly, though, I still managed to enjoy the flick--the subject matter is gripping. But it was a challenge to get past Kevin Costner's faux Boston accent.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Doug Dickeson

We noticed that Kevin's accent came and went depending on the scene. Or rather, it intensified at some points. It seemed pretty silly.
    Overall, the movie really held our attention.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

You would think after all the flak he caught for his accent in Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves that Kevin Costner would know better than to attempt another accent.
    Despite that, I really enjoyed the movie. The actors playing the Kennedys were outstanding, and I thought it was a well-crafted political thriller. I was shocked that they put as much work into the sound, as it gave my speakers a nice massaging.

4. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

I loved THIRTEEN DAYS.
    This one goes nicely next to my JFK and NIXON DVDs.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (out of 4)
    ------------------
    LuvLBX

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I really liked the film, as well. I did see the film during its theatrical run and the transfer seems pretty accurate, from what I recall.
    I agree that Costner's accent was terrible. It''s well-known that O'Donnell played nowehere near the role in the crisis as portrayed in the movie, but I assume the studio wanted a "star" to tie the story together and knew Costner didn't have the acting chops to handle JFK or RFK. I thought Bruce Greenwood was adequate as JFK and Steven Culp did a fantastic job as Bobby (I know he had prior practice.)
    As an aviation buff, I noted the F-5 shots were historically inaccurate, but felt their appearance was more believable in this film than as MiG's in Top Gun. Also enjoyed the prodigious number of shots with the F-8 Crusaders and F-106 Delta Darts. [​IMG]
    I was under the assumption that all of the Infinifilm features could be accessed from the "Infinifilm Features" menu, which is what I did. By leaving the Infinifilm notification off while watching the complete film, were there other features that I missed?
    ------------------

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I finally got around to watching Thirteen Days tonight, and I really enjoyed it. A solid drama.
    Performances were good all around, especially Bruce Greenwood and Steven Culp. It's neat to see a Canadian play the role of an American President.
    The DVD is very nice. The picture quality was very good, and the 5.1 track was suprisingly aggressive for a drama.
    As for the Infinifilm feature... I didn't use it. I find a feature like this can really ruin the pacing of a film. I don't like the "stop and go" aspect of it.
    I viewed these features only after watching the film.
    Anyone notice that the second last deleted scene (Rough Night) had the track The Coral Atoll from The Thin Red Line score playing?

7. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

Somewhere in the liner notes it recommends that you watch the feature first and then watch it with the Infinifilm feature turned on,so if you haven't seen the movie first you won't be distracted by the pop ups during the film.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If your interested in seeing a film that in my opinion is a better telling of the Cuban Missiles Crisis then checkout "The Missiles of October" which was a television film that starred William Devane and Martin Sheen as John and Robert Kennedy. Yes, this docudrama came out on dvd in late June.
    Crawdaddy
    ------------------

9. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Marc,
    I too noticed that the temp music on the second to last deleted scene used a snippet of Hanz Zimmer's best score to date. I thought I'd be the only one to notice. When compared to Trevor Jones' final cue for that scene, the music is somewhat similar. Do doubt Roger Donaldson wanted a similar tone to Zimmer's score.
    ------------------
    "Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts." - Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO

10. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

Thanks Crawdaddy! For 8.99 shipped at DeepDiscountDVD, how can I resist? [​IMG]
    Gregory

11. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Saw it in the theater and liked it a lot.
    Rented it today for viewing on my brand new 47" Panasonic HDTV because I wanted a 1.85:1 aspect ratio DVD and one that I had not spun up before, so this fits the bill.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

12. Gary Cliff

Gary Cliff Stunt Coordinator

I went to see it when it came out, so I decided to check out the Infinifilm links as they came up (it sure takes a long time to get through the movie this way!)
    I came across something rather strange, and I'm wondering if any of you experienced it as well or if I have a defective disk. At about the 53:00 mark, there is a link to a segment on response to JFK's speech to the nation. This segment includes an interview clip with Nikita Khrushchev's son, and this clip ends abruptly, cutting him off mid-sentence and freezing the scene in a very course pixelized image. Do any of your copies end this segment in this way?