What's new

And since we're on the topic of engagement rings ... (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Anybody know how to convince your S.O. that the black bars are NOT the enemy? She's REALLY not feelin' the bars on the TV.
Tell her that if you must watch movies in P&S, then she'll get a P&S diamond ring (only 2/3 what she would have gotten originally :D

brian a

Second Unit
Here in Tx. at least, you can also avoid taxes by having it shipped out of state if possible. What I did was purchase it and have it shipped to the hotel where we were staying in Hawaii. I had it insured before shipping in case there were any problems.

brianca...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Why go out of state when you can go out of country? We got a ring from , a rather wonderful ring maker here in the UK. When this website was working I could link straight to a picture of the ring I bought, but its playing up now.
In any case, the important thing with the ring is that its nice enough that your wife-to-be will be prepared to wear it every day, without thinking its ugly. A huge stone shows off, but it doesn't suit everybody, and could make the ring so bulky it catches on things. If in doubt I'd rate quality over size every day (insert innuendo here).
Oh, and this comment about getting it as a Christmas present? I've been reliably informed that if you don't want trouble, get a present as well, if you don't want the answer 'no'...
As for cost, well, we looked at rings up into the several thousand pound catagories, and to be honest, there were rings at two or three times what I paid in the end weren't any where near as nice. By all means set an upper limit on yourself, obviously, but the important thing is you both love it, not how much it costs.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Funny how $1000 or more is too much to spend on a TV or a guitar but its ok to spend that on a ring for the g/f.
Anyways Granny gave me the ring my Grandfather gave her for when I go insane and decide I want to get married - a interlocking engagement wedding ring.It goes around the finger 3 times. Platinum ring with a million diamonds all over it,except the center diamond was given to my aunt, so Ill have to replace that one. The thing was worth 12k with the center diamond - Do I want to put something that worth 12k around someones finger? :frowning:
I was in St Thomas 3 years ago and jewelry was very cheap there. My friends mother got a 4k bracelt for about $1200. My other friends husband got her a really nice ring while they were there on vacation and saved about 2k.
But I cant imagine a woman being mad at any ring she was given, if so, you may be should rethink what your doing.My brother once asked 100 women(he was working at a gas station a the time) "If your b/f was really poor but loved you more than anything and offered you a engagement cheesburger, would you accept?" Only 2 women said yes.

Frederick

Second Unit
I told her that I'd at least spend what I spent on my speakers :laugh: ...
I've read "insurance" mentioned quite a few times. Would any insurance company do? Are there special companies that insure jewelry? Does it have to be a certain dollar amount? This isn't something I can get at the store I purchase the ring from, is it?
Freddy C.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Any insurance agent can set you up with insurance on a particular piece of jewelry. If you have homeowner's insurance you can also get additional coverage for jewelry for whatever value you deem necessary. It does get expensive.

You might consider investing in a good solid safe. That's better than insurance, IMO.

Janna S

Second Unit
A safe is a good thing but it won't help for jewelry that is worn constantly or frequently, which you hope is the case with wedding and engagement rings. A safe won't help if the jewelry is lost or stolen while being worn, while traveling, etc.

I can't say enough about the value of insurance. I had a cabin/home burn to the ground two uears ago and I recovered for everything in it, right down to the salt and pepper and the nails that held the pictures on the wall. because I had good insurance, a good inventory, good photos, and receipts for everything.

I insure my home and the replacement cabin, and I have separate riders for jewelry, furs, and several art items that have been separately appraised. I figure insurance is one of the hidden costs of owning fancy stuff. Which is why I own less and less stuff as times goes on.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Yeah, forget the safe. My renter's insurnace only went up to about $10 per annum when I added the diamond. And it was more like a blanket coverage of all jewelery with a $10k cap. As mentioned, if you're mugged or she loses it while cleaning the toilet with your toothbrush, you're still covered. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I guess I live in an area where someone breaking into my home when I'm not there is much more of a concern than being mugged or being a victim of a home invasion. There are reasons...

However, I still recommend a safe if you have other jewelry or small valuables. You may get complete coverage from an insurance company, but if you have anything slightly out of the ordinary it may be extremely difficult to find something similar.

brian a

Second Unit
I think the much larger risk is of one of the prongs breaking and the diamond (or other stone ;)) being lost. That's when you need insurance to kick in.
This is espically true if you have a three prong setting instead of a four.
brianca..

Alan K

Agent
There's plenty of advice here, but I'll just put in my two cents anyways-
1. Find out if she has a cut preference. Many women do. (My girlfriend does, but I don't think I'll have the green for it.) If it's a square cut, anything under nine points is going to look pretty small.
2. To most people, lower color is more noticable than lower clarity with the exception of an emerald cut.
3. The mark-up on this stuff makes the mark-up on Rear Proj. HDTV's look meager. We're talking 400-500%. Try to find someone in the business who can give you a discount, or if you live in a major metropolitan area, find the jewelry district, there probably is one. Also, check out
http://www.hardcarbon.com
They have very good prices.
Good Luck
Alan Kilmer

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
going tomorrow to finish paying off my girlfriends ring and hopefully pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks