...and now possible Dorian Gray??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by bob kaplan, Jan 25, 2004.

1. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    Now that that Warner has begun to release some of the great "catalog" titles like GASLIGHT, etc...has anyone heard of the possibility of DORIAN GRAY. The Laser was pretty good with the color segements of the Portrait...the movie itself is so well done. it would be a pleasure to have on DVD...and...oh and yeah....while i'm at it...i would buy tons of the MGM Bette Davis movies as well...perhaps a box set?!?!?[​IMG]

2. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I would love to see THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY released to DVD. It's one of the classiest films of the 1940's, and it contains my favorite George Sanders performance.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I saw this film late at night on Turner Classic Movies...

Great "lesser known" horror film! I'd love to see a DVD released, especially with the Technicolor inserts improved. The print on TCM has quite a lot of speckling.

4. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Stunt Coordinator

It looks like I'm also expecting a DVD release for this one... [​IMG]

5. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

Dorian Gray would be a great selection for a classic package from Warner. The ending is fantastic. What with Warner's thousands of titles including the Warner titles/MGM titles/RKO titles up to about 1950, we can only hope that the numbers increase from the 5 or 6 titles they now get out each month.

6. Philip Swan

Philip Swan Auditioning

The GASLIGHT DVD is wonderful - the "Making of..." Documentary is delightful, with Angela Lansbury and Bergman's gorgeous daughter, Pia, reminiscing - it's terrific having both versions on the disc to compare.
    A DVD of DORIAN GRAY would be great - that's one that cries out for extra features, such as a commentary - it's just amazing that the film was made by at MGM by Albert Lewin - the same MGM of The Hardy Family films and THE WIZARD OF OZ - yet they managed to get past the censors with a great deal of the sordid stuff that's in DORIAN GRAY...I think I saw a mention somewhere that we may see some Bette Davis on DVD later this year...personally, I think that most of the ones MGM brought out on video, like THE SISTERS, JUNE BRIDE, and DECEPTION, won't make it to DVD, because the studio won't want to invest very much in preparing them for what is likely to be a very limited audience. I wish it weren't so, but we're more likely to see last week's TV shows on DVD next week than we are to see old b&W movies.

7. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    ...which makes me doubly glad that I have a satellite dish with a Digital Video Recorder. By and large I've been thrilled with the picture quality, and archiving classic films that remain unavailable on DVD has become my new passion. For example, Turner Classic Movies aired THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS the other night, and now I have it in my collection (so to speak) until it finally shows up on DVD.

THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY, by the way, will air on TCM on 2/12... and yes, I'll be digitally recording it!

8. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

This is on my list of AFI films I need to watch - but I'm not able to find any copies anywhere to rent. So a release would be wonderful - as I loved the book, and it's apparently a good film, it may be worth a blind buy.

9. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Add me to the list, a great film that really needs a DVD release!

10. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Me too! Terrific film. Only saw it for the first time several years ago.

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Count me in too! I've had the M-G-M Laser for years. I'll toss another title into the mix: "San Francisco" with Clark Gable,Jeanette MacDonald & Spencer Tracy.

Regarding the Bette Davis films. In the WB chat, to paraphrase them, they said they loved those films but they were not coming out until after the films of Flynn, Cagney etc.

12. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    It will air again tonight (Sept. 8th 2007) on TCM at 11:30 est.

STILL no word of a DVD release (?)

13. Irina

Irina Second Unit

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

It's fine that it has been released in other regions but why has it not been released here? Rights issues, materials in bad shape, lack of interest from the studio, lack of knowledge in the studio that this is a desired title?

I certainly would love to have this in R1.

15. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

That (why) is THE pertinent question. It is my decided opinion that if those who want their favorite movie released have a reason why it hasn't been so, then they would concentrate on that reason, rather then the, well, indistinct wailing (i.e. the movie companies are complete morons) that occurs from time to time. And that wailing is directly caused by a) lack of information leading to, well, b) paranoia.

Give me a distinct reason and I can work with it. I may (probably will) not be totally satisfied, but I will at least feel...partnered, I suppose. And isn't that what we at the very least want?

N.b. In No Way are my comments directed at WB, which I feel (and the evidence supports) has been the most open to customer feedback, particularly in this forum. They may be directed at Paramount, who have been infamously and notoriously silent about "The African Queen"

16. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

For a R1 release, why not add a commentary by Angela Lansbury? After all, this movie changed her life in many ways. Besides getting her 2nd Oscar nomination, leading man Hurd Hatfield introduced Angela to her future husband Peter Shaw!

17. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    I hope that when a DVD is released (hopefully) in R1, it will at least include the movie trailer.

TCM ran the trailer a couple of times last week, and I noticed that it contains quite a few shots that didn't make it into the finished film.

Was the trailer ever released on VHS or LD?

18. RobertGr

RobertGr Second Unit

Last night TCM ran the film and it looked like they did not have the color shots televised in color! Interestingly I have the videotape from MGM and when it was released I had a very close friend at MGM in NYC, sadly he lost his job when Ted T bought MGM then dumped it just keeping the films. My contact had told me that the studio did not have all the color inserts, finding this interesting I wrote a piece for FILM COLLECTOR'S WOLRD and I received tons of letters from all over the world. One came from the man who was the assistant to the man that painted the portraits used in the film and another from a man who was in the army overseas during WWII and remembered seeing the film in camp and vividly remembered the audience response to seeing the shocking disfigured painting in color! I wonder if Warner has located all the color inserts since 1986 when Turner bought the library?

19. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    RobertGr, I watched the entire film on TCM last nite (and recorded it on DVD-R), and the Technicolor scenes were there.

The color shots included: The first shot we see of the "young" Dorian painting, the first shot we see of the "evil" Dorian painting, and a separate close-up of the painting's bloody hand after Dorian kills Basil.

I have no idea if there were originally more color inserts when the film was first shown, but there were at least 3 color shots in the film TCM ran last night. (EDIT: There were 4 color shots).

20. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Ah, MielR beat me to it! I too saw the Technicolor shots... there were shots of the painting that WEREN'T in color, but most of those were shots that also featured cast members, so I assumed that they weren't meant to be in color to begin with. An interesting mystery.... from the IMDB:

"The movie is black and white except for four times when Dorian Gray's picture is shown in color."

...in any case, a great film. I always think of Portrait of Jennie when Dorian Gray comes up... another excellent black & white/color hybrid.