What's new

And now for something a little different... (1 Viewer)

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm building a home theater over the course of the next 6 months and am having a lot of fun with it. In addition to Making some velvet curtains and reupholstering some movie theater seats, I would like to reupholster my sectional couch.

It's a well made older couch (25 - 35 years old) that has a ugly 60s-70s pattern on it, split into 4 sections, one of which has a fold out bed. I'd like to upholster the body in black velvet with a thin purple stripe in the center, and the cushions in purple velvet.

I have a friend who is into cabinetry and will be helping me through some of this, so I thought Id get ballsy... I'm thinking about modifying the sections into recliners and widening the arms and backs to add more padding and to add recessed cupholders in the arms. However, I havent a clue where to find the recliner mechanisms to swing the foot rest up. Can anyone help?

Finally, and thanks for still reading, this has gotten rather long... Finally, I need some advice on what kind of fabric to get, for both the curtain/drapes and the couch/cushion upholstry. I've been looking at black and purple velvet fabric on e-bay but I really have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Any advice any of you can give me would be well appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an update. I've found the fabrics that I need on eBay, that problem is out of the way. The big problem now is figuring out how to convert the sections into recliners. I need to find the recliner mechanisms and so forth, but online searches haven't yealded anything yet.

Has anyone else here built their own recliner rather than buying one of the rediculously expensive custom home theater seats?

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
If you can't find what you need for the recliner mechanisms on their own, you might consider buying some beat up old cheap recliners from the classified ads and pull what you need out of it since it won't matter what it looks like and you'll be repadding/covering the whole thing.. Just make sure it is functional.. You can always relube the joints and replace any worn fasteners..

Just a thought if all else fails..

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
After looking into it more I think I have to give up on the idea of turning it into a recliner. The work gets too complicated I think.

Has anyone else here reupholstered their furniture, a couch or set of home theater seats? If so if you have a DIY guide or some pics I would love to see them because I'll be doing the upholsterey work pretty much off the cuff with the minor help I can get from upholsetering websites.

I imagine a lot of guess work and a lot of cussing will eventually lead to the end result. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks