What's new

And Metallicas new bassists is........ (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
....one of my favorites..... Robert Trujillo :frowning:

How depressing!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Trujillo is most famous for his time in Suicidal Tendencies & Infectious Grooves which was a funky offshoot of the first band. He is definitely a first rate player, but in recent years his gig has been Ozzy's bassist.

What a waste of talent. I wish him the best and hope that he finally makes the money he deserves, but I can't help thinking this is a disatrous move career wise.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
What the hell? Why don't you like this?

He's a great bass player, and I have fond memories of the concert I saw in 1993 when Suicidal opened for Metallica. I can't think of a better choice for a new bass player for Metallica.

/Mike

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
but I can't help thinking this is a disatrous move career wise.
What? Metallica still has talent. Just because they evolved as a band doesn't mean they are any less talented. I love the 80's Metallica as much as everyone else but the new stuff is excellent. Trujillo is a great addition to the band. I just wish this had come sooner so he could have contributed to their new album. I'll definitely be going to their concert this summer.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
And Metallica's new bassists is........irrelevant because they have sucked for so long that an injection of new blood won't revive a corpse.
They are one of the last vestiges of Rock though, so maybe I should be more supportive....I can't as I despise their "new" music so.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"And Metallica's new bassists is........irrelevant because they have sucked for so long that an injection of new blood won't revive a corpse."

:laugh: :laugh:

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Great bassist, good career move (financially) ... but nothing will revive Metallica at this point.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I haven't liked Metallica since "Metallica" either (and that had a few sucky songs on it too), but this choice of bass player is still a good thing. Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I still think they have a few good albums in them...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait until they play the free-form jazz set a la Spinal Tap... :D

Seriously, I too haven't like Metallica in a while (though I did like up to and including the black album) and I like what I've heard of Trujillo's work (seen Suicidal live and have the first two Infectious Grooves albums). Will be interested to hear their first studio album with his input, see if he changes the sound at all. Almost any change would be welcome as I don't like the direction they've headed in, and pretty much they aren't going to sound like "old Metallica" any more, so hopefully Robert will inject some new and much needed blood and energy with his playing! (one can always hope, right?)

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Will be interested to hear their first studio album with his input, see if he changes the sound at all.
It'll be awhile before we hear his input on a studio album. Metallica's next album comes out June 10th and he hasn't contributed anything yet and probably won't until the following album. Supposedly, the new album strays away from the style of the Load/Reload albums. There are so many rumors out there that I just want to hear the damn thing!!!!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I didn't care for Re-Load, but Load has some quality songs in my opinion. Metallica is an incredibly talented group, so don't give up on them. Perhaps Trujillo will have a positive influence. Metallica still rules! :)

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Metallica will make good music again. We just ahve to wait for their children to grow up and take over thats all. :D

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
On the opposite end of the spectrum, Jason Newstead and VOIVOD will premiere their new video: "WE CARRY ON" on Much Music USA's URANIUM show .. today 2/28

Check your local listings!

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Die hard Metallica fan checking in.
I have been on board since the Kill 'em All days, a metclub member since 1995 and I must say they still rock and make fantastic music. I am not in the camp that says 'make more shit like lightning or puppets'. Guys in their late 30's to 40 are not the same people as they were at 18-24. I love every metallica album and can't wait to listen to the new one. I already have my tickets for the gilet stadium show (1.5 weeks from my wife's due date for our second child and YES she is coming) and can not wait. I think Trujillo is a fantastic choice and am excited to see the elements he brings to the re-formed 4 horsemen.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I was disappointed with the Vivoid song on Uranium. Maybe it needs to grow on me, but I thought it sounded very basic and pretty dull. I will say that I have never heard the band before so I have nothing to compare it to.

I thought Jason's comments were interesting about how the other three members of Metallica put raising families as their highest priority which had a big effect on the band. He said he believes that Metallica should be (he then made an intense metal face) ALL the time.

I am torn between those who say Metallica had to change and those who say that they have completely sold out. I do believe that Metallica has put out some pretty good songs here and there in the 90's, but GAAAWWWDDD there early albums are sooo much better. I still consider myself a fan, but it sure isn't like the good old days.

I wonder if James having to go into rehab will put a harsher edge on the music. I miss the "pissed at the world" James Hetfield.

Trevor H

Second Unit
Robert Trujillo has been a busy boy the last couple of years, not only was he in Ozzy's band he also was in Jerry Cantrell's band and played bass on the album "Degradation Trip", he was also the current bass player for Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society.

And another interesting fact many of you may not know is that Jason Newsted has joined Ozzy's band to replace Mr. Trujillo.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Voivod was one of my very favorites from 1988-mid90s.
I was shocked to hear Newsted joined them.

I REALLY hope the new music doesnt suck.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
i think Master Of Puppets was the writing on the wall for their downward spiral.
Wow, I am no fan of the new stuff, but i don't think I've ever heard anyone imply that they didn't care for MOP. I personally think that was their zeinth. All downhill from there.

Who else thinks Voivod is about one of the oddest bands ever? Angel Rat is a favorite, but man these guys have veered all over the place, mostly doing stufff I don't care for. I really hopoe the new one is along the lines of Angel Rat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.