And here I was recommending audiogon...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Z, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Life is funny. Someone asked a few days ago if it is safe to buy used. I was the first to recommend audiogon...and here I sit 4 days later feeling like I've just been had.

I sent a cashier's check through next-day delivery for a Rotel amp I "bought" at audiogon. The FedEx Web site shows package as being delivered and signed for by the seller on the 11th. The seller contacts me today to let me know he has not received anything from FedEx. He has 34 positive feedbacks with no negatives...but something does not feel right. And the bank says there is no way to put a stop payment on the check.

Uh-oh. [​IMG]

I know this kind of stuff has to happen to somebody...but why me? [​IMG]

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Robert,

What have you been pursuing with FedEx? If they have a signature it was delivered. Best case scenario: either it went to the wrong address or wrong person at the proper address. Worst case scenario: this guy is a thief and should be prosecuted.

When they refuse something like PayPal...there is usually a skunk in the woods. Sorry for your predicament. [​IMG] And thanks for sharing the tale of woe...it may serve as yet another reminder to people to play it safe.

Edit: I was wrong! Best case scenario---or the package got left in a different place! Whew...great news...just a misunderstanding.

3. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I called FedEx. They said they received authorization from the seller to leave the package without a signature required. The seller said he was going out of town on business...that is why he wanted an overnight payment, so he could send me the amp before he left. I can only hope he IS out of town and the check is waiting safely under his doormat when he arrives.

Even if that is the case...I blew $20 for an overnight delivery when US mail would have worked just fine. Something is just not right here. I hope the seller comes through...he has many positive feedbacks, as recent as two days ago.

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Robert,

Good luck in your situation. Hopefully you'll hear he's back in town shortly and has that check in hand.

It's easy with this type of transaction (given so many unknowns) to jump to the some quick thoughts/conclusions when unexpected hitches or delays happen--I've had my share of these from both buyer and seller sides (heck, I'm in the middle of one right now). They've all turned out OK for me personally, and most everyone I've interacted with on Audiogon has had the same experience (unfortunately, I've read posts of other experiences though).

Hope to see a post in a couple days from you saying "Got my amp!" [​IMG]

5. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Hope you get your amp,but try to never send wire/cashier,if they don't take most all forms of payment,beware.I'm sure you realize this now.good luck.

6. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

7. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Yeah, that's a tough one. I've had a couple of tough transactions but ended up turning out ok (knock on wood). If I was a buyer, I might spring for the bit of extra for a COD. Then you know you have the equipment in hand before handing over the MO. Then it's up to the shipping company to get the MO to the seller.

I almost got hosed on one of my first internet private transactions buying a set of rims/tires for my car. It was a $1000 transaction. The seller said he never got the MOs from UPS. Lucky I had my stubs and found that the MOs were cashed. UPS took it from there. Don't know what the final result was but I was glad I was able to work it out with UPS and the MO company.

Bob

8. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

If you send a payment via USPS you can opt for the restricted delivery option. This is an extra service that allows only the intended recipient to sign and receive the letter.

-Jeramy

9. JackIR

JackIR Stunt Coordinator

I've bought and sold items on Audiogon with good results. If the guy's got that many positive feedbacks, I'll bet he's OK. Next time you should buy C.O.D. It will cost more but you hand over a check and FedEx gives you the package. You lower the risk of getting burned unless the item doesn't work.

10. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Not all sellers will do COD, because of either being burned personally or because of stories of such. Some of the more common scams related to Audiogon have been a function of CODs and someone printing up their own checks, etc. The delivery service doesn't confirm that the checks make sense or are valid. . . They just pick up a "check".

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hmmm. Did you insure the check? (For example, I just sent live stock certificates through the Post Office, and they said I could insure it up to the full value of the stock.) Hopefully Fedex helps you deal with this. If *he* allowed them to deliver it without his signature, then that should be on him and not you. You might try to call the guy on the phone. Sometimes "in person", you can get a better feel for a person than email.

12. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

13. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

14. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Great news!!![​IMG]

15. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Seller contacted me today to say he found some of the binding posts were damaged. He is returning my payment. So I am back to square one. What shall I buy now?

16. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Robert,

Sorry the deal fell through. Other than specifying 'a Rotel amp' we really don't know any more details about you were trying to buy. What is it you need?

17. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

18. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Donnie- The US Post Office didn't care what was in the package. They said I could insure whatever it was up to $7k. I guess just a difference between them and FedEx...

Robert- Well, you didn't get the amp, but at least you get your money back... [​IMG]

19. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have bought and sold gear on ebay for the past 4 years or so. I've done 1 deal via Audiogon, and I've just started using HTF.

Because I wasn't too familiar with the HTF hardware section and how "reliable" it was, I vowed that if I got screwed on the 1st deal ($800 for an amp), I'd fly down and and see the guy myself if anything "suspect" happened. Something to think about. (Perfect deal though.)

But maybe it's just bad luck. Sounds like he sent the money back, non-registered, non-traceable mail?