What's new

and after Forbidden Planet....how about...? (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Just watched the blu ray of FORBIDDEN PLANET. Nicely done!...now how about some care given to some other Sci-fi classics like: THE TIME MACHINE, THIS ISLAND EARTH, WAR OF THE WORLDS, and maybe even......CONQUEST OF SPACE??.....all different studios....but it would be nice!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd say THE TIME MACHINE has a reasonable shot at going Blu. It's always been a cash cow for MGM and Warner Bros. WAR OF THE WORLDS...maybe a Criterion release down the road. THIS ISLAND EARTH - I'd love it, but I doubt it. Universal has a slew of other catalog titles that they would probably consider for Blu way before they look at that one.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
If they do The Time Machine, they better package both, the original and remake in the same case. I like'em both.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to quite a few WB upgrades of classic sci-fi:

Valley Of Gwangi

Soylent Green

Altered States

The Time Machine (1960)

7 Faces of Dr. Lao

Demon Seed

Illustrated Man

Time After Time

Westworld

Atlantis The Lost Continent (not on DVD)

Wow... that would make a hell of a Blu-Ray box set. I'd pay whatever they ask for that.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Check out this great list of 1950s sci fi films and then make your own list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science_fiction_films:_1950s

Here's mine. For the 1950s I'd say...

When Worlds Collide

War of the Worlds

These two classic George Pal films were done in Technicolor, iirc. If the three strip negatives have been preserved properly, this could make a great two for one on blu. The run times for each of these films is short, and so it would make a great double feature on one blu ray. Originally the scenes in the last part of War of the Worlds, when they don their protective goggles for the nuke strike by the flying wing, were done with 3D in mind. Maybe now is the time to do that via computer as a bonus???

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Great film with a great cast. Perhaps Disney's best live action film, with a surprisingly anti-war and pro-environment message. A neglected masterpiece. Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Peter Lorre, etc...

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Still scary.

I also have to admit that although it's totally unsuitable for blu-ray, I still have vivid memories from 35 years ago of watching on TV Attack of the Crab Monsters. The crabs take on the voices of those they've eaten. Creepy!

This Island Earth

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm not a big sf fan, but I'd also love to see BD editions of Soylent Green and Demon Seed. I was going to add The Day the Earth Stood Still and the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but apparently Fox released TDTESS two years ago and I didn't know it...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Great suggestions. I'll take 'em all!

As for the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers, I wish it would be released with the "alternate" version (Siegel's?) included -- the cut that omits the story framing and voiceover. I'll never forget seeing it presented that way once in the late '70s at LACMA (L.A. County Museum of Art), sitting right behind Kevin McCarthy who was obviously having as great a time watching it as the rest of the audience. While the familiar version is as much a part of my movie-loving life as any film can be, the impact created by not presenting the story in past tense, and letting it end with "you're next!" was a revelation.

(Correct me if I'm wrong and somehow missed it, but I'm pretty sure this option hasn't seen the light of day.)

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Put me down for all of the above- the original INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS is something I would really like to see on Blu-ray. I also like to add THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS & QUATERMASS AND THE PIT to the list.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
all great choices, i could see WB doing a Time Machine/Time After Time, Double Feature, dont count on the new one being with it, i think its a Dreamworks picture, as for invasion of the body snatchers i love the idea of both cuts as well, but has lionsgate release any really deep catalog titles? not even sands of Iwo Jima or The Quiet Man, really makes me wish paramount would have held onto the republic catalog that they had, but if WB wanted another good choice for Blu,

Howard Hawks The Thing From Another World

Them!

Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

and would like to see Creature from The Black Lagoon flat and 3D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Soylent Green, Time After Time, The Demon Seed and Howard Hawks The Thing would all be street date purchases for me. I have to think SG and The Thing have the best bet of being released by Warner sooner rather than later (at this time next year for instance).

I'm thrilled about picking up the '79 version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers soon, and would be just as ecstatic to get the original version- a movie that has been sorely in need of at the very least a proper anamorphic upgrade for a number of years now. C'mon Lionsgate, get on the ball- this film is a genre classic most owners would happily upgrade at this point.

One I'm very doubtful is on any studios radar, but that I would make sacrifices to acquire is Day The Earth Caught Fire. The near Scope AR would clearly realize some good benefits from the resolution bump. And it's a great movie to boot. Maybe Shout or Synapse (if they are healthy enough) can look into getting the rights to this one as I think Anchor Bays have lapsed.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned but seems to me a no brainer is Outland. I can't understand why Warner refuses to put out a proper remaster of this. I don't need a full blown SE, but for Pete's sake the movie at least needs a decent A/V presentation. I would happily take it on a bare bones $20 MSRP disc. I've never owned this on DVD and never will with the quality that's available. I can't believe I'm the only one that has felt like this.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I agree with all of these titles, but would like to add one more: BRAINSTORM. If ever there was a science fiction film that could take full advantage of Blu-Ray's capabilities, this would be it. The 70mm scenes would be breathtaking on Blu, and if the master WHV produced for the DVD last year is up to snuff, it should be a fairly easy port.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
plus 1 for the original version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. That is a must have!

And agreed on The Time Machine and the 2 Paramount War of the Worlds and When Worlds Collide!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No love for "Them"? I want that title plus "The Thing", "Invasion of the Body Snatcher" and "The Demon Seed" on BRD.

Crawdaddy

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
All great choices so far. I'll toss in a couple - Fantastic Voyage (1966) and a little seen (not even on DVD) George Pal movie The Power (1968), starring George Hamilton and Michael Rennie, directed by Byron Haskin.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Fantastic Voyage is another good one! Reminded me too of Irwin Allen's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

And out of curiosity, I did a search for Crack in the World. I only saw bits of it on TV years ago and it didn't do much for me. But I did see that DVD Savant had a review of a new DVD that came out in July this year. Didn't know it was out!

But I really hope the titles that have been brought up above from the 50's will be considered along with the newer films from the 60's.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
my question, is with the current rush for 3D, is there a proper way to transfer Steroscope 3D to meet the new format, and not have it be colored lenses? Them! was originialy intended to be 3D, and i would like to see the test footage, but this current trend to try and make non 3D into 3D , dont care for that, i know its not classic scifi but i would add one more title House of Wax, flat and 3D if possible and

Voyage To The Bottom of The Sea

2nd This Island Earth

2nd Outland

Disney' 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

The Black Hole

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks