What's new

Anchorman DVD's (1 Viewer)

Marc Bax

Second Unit
A bit of a strange release planned for this film. I LOVED the theatrical version and am a bit wary of the choice to put it out in FS only. I hope the set with the 2nd film is going to be released on the same date and will include the WS version.

From IGN DVD-

Universal Home Video has announced Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Will Ferrell's latest adventure in silliness, for release on December 28. Pricing has not been set.

Universal has a number of products coming from this film. The 94-minute theatrical cut will be available in full frame only, but an unrated, 103-minute cut will be available in widescreen only.

Also, Universal is planning a gift set that includes the film Wake Up, Ron Burgundy, a 92-minute film purportedly made up of scenes cut from the first movie. Unfortunately, we have no prices for any of them.

The widescreen edition will sport a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras are not confirmed, but believed to include deleted scenes and parody featurettes, like an A&E biography. We'll let you know when they are officially announced.

edit-
D'oh I just noticed their was an old similar thread already, my bad.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Amazon.com has the two disc set up - however, both are listed as Widescreen, so I don't know which one to order (for fear that one might become a full screen edition).

However, I am so happy this happening. Originally it was said that 'Wake Up Ron Burgundy' would come later, after the initial release. However, kudos to Dreamworks for release both at once. I cannot WAIT.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I'm all for it.
Seeing that the trailer is made up of 90% of footage that never made the theatrical cut, I, for one, can't wait to see the other footage.
I just hope everything is available on release day.

chrisMCG

Agent
This isn't the first time Universal has pulled this trick, non? But with Ultimate editions - be wary - this one could end up as a double dip somewhere down the line...

...and yes, I can't wait to see the hilarity that hit the cutting room floor put back in...

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Don, I'm completely with you. My only thought is that people get DVD players, gift cards, etc. on Xmas and want something to buy right after the holidays. But this does seem pretty retarded. I know I'd be buying multiple copies of the 2-disc set for gifts if it were available before the holidays.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
Yet another gift set that must be mine. Too bad I have wait a few days after X-mas. Guess I'll save up the gift certificates i get. Good move on not delaying "Wake up Ron Burgundy."

On the Digital Bits, they say that the original PG-13 version will only be released in Full Screen. Even though I'm not going to be getting that version, its stupid to not release the film in OAR.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, it sounds like kind of a "fuck you" to the MPAA, Walmart, and those who depend on them for guidance rather than go on personal opinion. I'm certainly not going to shed tears over it.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The theatrical version in full frame...

That is an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. :rolleyes

Travis W.

Second Unit
This isn't the first time the move of releasing the theatrical cut in fullscreen only has happened. Columbia did the same with Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and I believe Dreamworks did the same with Old School.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well fortunately for me, I was go for "unrated" versions of movies, such as all 3 "American Pie" flicks, "Road Trip", "BadDER Santa".....to name a few. I think it's rediculous however that the theatrical version will not be released in its OAR.

Assuming the price is decent, I'll probably pick up the gift set containing the "Wake Up" film. I really loved this movie when I saw it in theatres, so I can only imagine how funny the stuff left on the cutting room floor must've been. It's pretty awkward that this will be out AFTER Christmas though. Then again, "American Wedding" and "XXX" were both released a day or two after Christmas as well.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I wish the gift set included both the unrated and theatrical versions in widescreen. Unrated versions usually turn out to be a big disappointment (for me anyway).

Besides, why didn't they just add this nine minutes of footage onto the "Wake Up" film?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
^ I suppose. They never take away from the original. Take a look at the Unrated version of Old School - besides one more shot of Will Farrell streaking I have no clue what else they added. The film seemed the same.

Marc Bax

Second Unit

It wouldn't make sense. Wake Up is a whole different movie it has it's own plot. I know they made several changes during the late stages of Anchorman's production. You can clearly see where one of the changes was made during the Jack Black confrontation. When Will hits him with the burrito it's very clearly not Jack Black (if it was suppose to be a stuntman they wouldn't have used such a close shot). Black was originally playing a junkie in a scene that was cut out, so they brought him back to shoot the biker scene (this is my guess since his credit went from "junkie" before the movie came out to "angry biker" after on IMDB, and would explain the obvious change of actors during the scene). Maya Rudolph, Justin Long, Chris Williams, Chuck D, Kevin Corrigan and Amy Poehler also had parts that were cut completly. I'm betting all that stuff makes up the new film, where the 10 mins put back into Anchorman are just extended scenes that wouldn't have worked in Wake Up.

On a side note I got the following info from IMDB, I want to see THIS version bad!

"Adam McKay has said that in the first draft of the script, the story was about a planeload of news anchors who crash in the mountains and discover that the plane which they collided was carrying monkeys and martial arts equipment, leading to a battle between cannibalistic newsmen and star-throwing monkeys."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks