Anchor Bay's old REBECCA dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i've been hearing whispers about the transfer of the original Rebecca dvd from Anchor Bay being a little bit better than the new Criterion dvd. could this be true?

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I liked the Anchor Bay transfer for REBECCA, but it doesn't hold a candle to McQueen's restoration work on the elements used for the Criterion transfer. In fact, Criterion's REBECCA is one of the most gorgeous transfers of B&W film from this era I've ever seen.

(And it's the most loaded special edition of any Hitchcock disc I've ever seen - and I've got most of them!)

3. Brian W

Brian W Stunt Coordinator

The Criterion Rebecca is stunning, the Anchor Bay is also nice but definitely pales slightly to moderately in comparison, much softer, lacks the contrast and back level punch that the Criterion has.

However, I prefer the Anchor Bay Notorious over the Criterion. There is a lot give and take, plus and minuses for both but I prefer the Anchor Bay Notorious overall.

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    More recent discussion, including a link to screen capture comparisons of the AB vs. Criterion DVDs, is contained in this thread.

5. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Not being much of a fan of screen captures, I want to ask you guys if the following is true: that both the NOTORIOUS and REBECCA transfers from Criterion have much more visible grain, especially when viewed on a rear projection unit, than the Anchor Bay versions. True?

6. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

7. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Criterion's Rebecca is reference quality material, IMHO. It's got that silvery look that the old film stock used to impart.

Wonderful