What's new

Anchor Bay's HIGHLANDER (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
At the moment I only have access to the internet at work, and won't be able to participate in tonight's (9/18/01) Anchor Bay Chat.
I'm sure someone is already planning on asking, but just in case, could someone please find out all the info they can on Anchor Bay's upcoming release of Highlander?
Specifically:
1) What features?
2) Will both the theatrical, and director's cut be included (and if so, will both be in OAR)?
3) Is there a release date set?
Thanks! This is my favorite film, and I can't wait to see it released to DVD (hopefully) right this time!
------------------
rfloto1.gif

[Edited last by Robert Floto on September 18, 2001 at 11:44 AM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about it, Highlander is going to be a huge title for Anchor Bay :)
Frankly, since the "theatrical cut" is a heavy edit done by some butchers for no reason whatsoever, and this version doesn't exist outside the US, I prefer it be excised to the pits of hell where it belongs.
I'm sure it'll be OAR, but I also want to know about the Queen music videos, specifically "Who wants to Live Forever"!

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
What I want is the ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK, which does not include sound effects added from the TV series. It also has lines of dialogue that are not included in the 5.1 remix, including my favorite line in the entire film:
Ramirez yelling "MacLeod, this is the Quickening!" just as they jump from the cliff.)
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm sure Anchor Bay has noticed things like that, and have quite possibly added the lines into their new EX/ES tracks.
I'm sure they're also going to include the original soundtrack
Jeff Kleist

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I bought the laserdisc, and aside from the Deluxe packaging(which is why I still keep it) I found the transfer to be quite good-and remember thinking Gosh-this should then look FANTASTIC on DVD,,,,but it was not to be....it looked at best to me like VHS.
Hopefully AB will right this wrong in a transfer that will do the films photography PROUD. As for their issues in general, all I can say is that Anchor Bay rules.
And please, somebody ask about THE CHURCH.
------------------

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
So wait! I'm confused!
How many DVD versions of Highlander are out there? I have the "directors cut" but I haven't opened it yet (because of just such a situation!)
What's the difference between them and what is this Anchor Bay one going to have that the other ones did or didn't?
Aaargh! This is like Army of Darkness all over again!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The director's cut is what is on DVD. The Theatrical version was never on DVD.
Go here for the details:
Link Removed
Aaargh! This is like Army of Darkness all over again!
Not quite, since the director's cut looks MUCH better than the original (At least on VHS it did.)
Jason
------------------
My DVD Collection

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Scott, the current DVD is the director's cut, but in non-anamorphic widescreen with a low bitrate and TERRIBLE picture quality. It's one of the few DVD's that looks terrible compared to the LD with the same transfer. The DVD can be found for just $7 new, as nobody wants it.
The new HIGHLANDER DVD will have a High-Def transfer from the restored IP. It will be 2 discs, probably with a documentary.
------------------

Scott Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, guys!
Looks like I'll be taking my "Director's Cut" back to the story in favor of the Anchor Bay version!
Anyone know the street date?

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Frankly, since the "theatrical cut" is a heavy edit done by some butchers for no reason whatsoever, and this version doesn't exist outside the US, I prefer it be excised to the pits of hell where it belongs.
I too prefer the director's cut, but being a completist I'd like to have both versions. And since the U.S. theatrical version has never been available here in it's OAR, that would also be nice...
And as for the theatrical version, there are two parts I prefer as compared to the director's cut...
Spoiler:1) In the director's cut, I don't like the quick shots of the highland battle while Connor is watching the wrestling match. I thought it was much more effective to have the first time the audience is thrust into the past be the crane-shot transition up through the parking garage after Connor runs off after the Quickening. It had a much higher, "WTF" quotient.
2) I don't like all the back flips Fazeel does during the parking garage duel. I think it looks a little silly.
Otherwise it's the director's cut all the way! I just think it would be nice to have both...
Thanks to everyone and all who find out this info tonigh!
------------------
rfloto1.gif

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Scott, don't return it yet - that commentary track might or might not end up on the next version.

DannyS

Second Unit
I remember the first time that I saw highlander. Highlander 2 had just been released in the cinema and I was desperatley looking for a copy of the original to rent on vhs. I could not get it anywhere, It hit me then how popular that movie was. I bought the Region 1 DVD and was looking forward to the fantastic picture quality that my othere DVD's had shown. Oh My God.... ABYSMAL. I really can't wait for the Anchor Bay edition. WOWZER! OH, and I love the backfilps. The european cut is the only one I know and I wouldn't change it for the world. They'd better put the line back in when they jump off the cliff too! :)
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I bought the laserdisc, and aside from the Deluxe packaging(which is why I still keep it) I found the transfer to be quite good-and remember thinking Gosh-this should then look FANTASTIC on DVD,,,,but it was not to be....it looked at best to me like VHS.
The DVD uses the same THX-approved Digital Transfer as the laserdisc did. The problem is that the digital transfer is loaded with large amounts of film-grain which LD can hide pretty well (Scarface is another example). I believe the transfer used for the DVD and LD was from a composite source, which makes a big difference on DVD but not much on LD. It's been several years since I've compared them, but the only difference I remember between the DVD and LD was a hell of a lot of film grain that was very noticiable on DVD. I think we all agree that the new Anchor Bay version will be far superior.
Jeff

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
The ability to minimize film grain has greatly improved since HIGHLANDER the Director's Cut was first transferred some years back. I am sure the new transfer will look exceptional. The IP is in tip top shape, thank the Lord (at least it was in 1996).
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks