Anchor Bay's "Day of the Dead" 2 disc SE (review)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Allred, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
  2. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Wow! Can't wait for this one!

3. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Oh, momma. Has there ever been a better month for DVD horror buffs than this coming August? Day of the Dead, The Haunting, The Brood, The Howling: SE, The Thing From Another World, Squirm, Burnt Offerings, Halloween: 25th Anniversary Edition, Raw Meat, Dead & Buried, The Tomb of Ligeia, The Haunted Palace, Zombi 2, Brain Damage: SE, The Omega Man, etc, etc, etc.

I'm so happy I could puke... [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Me too!

[​IMG]

5. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

This sounds like a pretty significant flaw if you ask me:

6. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

That was seriously one of the best reviews I've ever read. Very in depth and makes me want the DVD even more.

Two things I'm not looking forward to though:

1. The packaging, why does Bub's face have to peel away? The whole thing looks flimsy to me.

2. That Japanese audio dub sounds pretty big to me too. I've watched this film countless times and I guarentee I'll spot these dub moments.

All in all though, I'm looking forward to this disc. Now if only we had some rock-solid details on Dawn of the Dead.

7. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I can't wait to pick it up. I hope the Japanese audio dub isn't a problem. Although, I've only seen this movie once (LOVED IT) and probably won't notice.

8. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The author of that review further elaborated on the problem at the Homepage of the Dead forum. Here's what he had to say:

9. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

I'll be picking this up the day it comes out. I'll definitely notice the dub moments, because I've seen this movie about 100 times. [​IMG]

10. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Not to derail this thread, but what's included in this new special edition that wasn't on the previous disc?

11. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    Wacky audio issues, huh? I'm getting this new version, but I guess I should hang on to my old Anchor Bay DVD release.

I wonder if any of the special features were taken from the old Tom Savini Scream Greats documentary.

12. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

Oh my god, seriously, what the hell is wrong with Anchor Bay? They used a soundtrack with Japanese dubs? How could they miss it? I am so tired of this! What is going on with that company? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

14. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

While there may be discontent regarding the audio on Suspiria, I fail to see how they messed up on it otherwise. This is completely different. This reminds of the bollixed audio on "A Better Tomorrow". Sheesh. Why? Why?!

15. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Just glad I wasn't tempted enough to sell my DVD of the first version when prices skyrocketed.

-paul

16. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

Damn. I was going to buy this. Hopefully Anchor Bay will address and fix this audio problem soon. First the crap with Suspiria and Opera, now this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

This one just looks too good to pass up. If three or four minor instances of bad dubbing are the only things "wrong" with the new Day of the Dead then I say bring it on!

The day my enjoyment of a low-budget exploitation flick like this is ruined by a poorly dubbed word here and there is the day I have to seriously question just how unrealistic I've become. I mean, most of the movies that Anchor Bay releases are films that, without their often-Herculean efforts to track down and license the best available elements, would likely never see the light of day in any sort of remotely decent or acceptable form. We get releases like Suspiria that are nothing short of breathtaking and all a lot of people (many of whom screamed the loudest and longest when these things weren't available at all) can think to do is complain that they're not absolutely 100% pristine perfect. Reality-check here, folks: Citizen Kane these movies ain't.

Just my opinion, of course, but I think sometimes we DVD-fanatics take our demands for perfection too far. The disc has some screw-ups. Such is life.

Flame away.

18. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

19. William DAnnucci

William DAnnucci Stunt Coordinator

I've voiced my feelings about this at Mobius Home Video Forum. I'm really displeased with Anchor Bay over this audio problem. One of the many reasons I buy DVDs is I don't want my movies censored or chopped up in any way. Sloppy work. Even worse when a representative from Anchor Bay posting on MHVF back in May swore that there had been no changed audio or missing dialogue.

No sale, Anchor Bay.

20. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

It really feels like people need to calm down and wait for a few more reviews before getting all uppity about this.

And although I'm not too happy about 4-5 minor audio dubs, I'd take that any day of the week over a dirty, grainy transfer or excessive EE.