What's new

Anchor Bay! You got some splainin' to do. (Re: Army of Darkness) (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Anchor Bay doesn't own these films, so they're at the mercy of what the studios license to them.

Some will give AB the best stuff possible, while some won't put much effort. They're just like Criterion...they have to use what they're given by the studio.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh my, the difference is amazing. Courtesy of that source (Anchor Bay on top, MGM on bottom):

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Ho-lee crap, that's incredible. And NTSC, so it will work on my back-up Apex without a hitch. Looks like I will be importing.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
God bless my HTPC :D

Anyone wanna buy a "Limited Edition" version of the Director's Cut? Only 40,000 made! ;)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Any chance this will be the version included in the Boomstick edition? It seems worthy of the rerelease if is...

-paul

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Given that AB has not said that the Boomstick release will contain a new transfer, I think the odds of it happening are next-to-nil. If it was going to be a new transfer, you can be certain that AB would've made sure we all knew by now.

DJ

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Forgive the dumb question, but after viewing the comparison shots, Im flabbergastedy. Ive heard that many R3 discs actually will also play just fine on R1 players-is this true? if so, im owning that disc yesterday. Anyone??

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The thread linked mentions YesAsia as the place to buy this disc online - I can't find it on the YesAsia site though, as a search for ARMY OF DARKNESS doesn't bring the title up for me. Can anyone post a link to order it if they find one, or provide a link to another site that has it if YesAsia no longer does?

Watch the demand for this disc spread around the net like wildfire over the coming days...

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Patrick: very true. However Anchor Bay said that their directors cut was made up from the best possible sources and they did mention they looked everywhere. While it could be that this was true for the first release I'm sure they could have used it for a new disc. There's also the missing shots of Evil Ash pulling of Shelia's clothes. Its not an important scene but if AB had truly looked at every source they would have seen this scene and it should have been included on the disc, either in the movie or in the deleted scenes section. Still my biggest complaint is that Anchor Bay keeps releasing this same movie with the same shoddy transfer. I believe we're at number 5 or 6 with them and the only thing that's changed is the packaging, insert style and disc art. If Anchor Bay did really care about their fans they wouldn't keep trying to cash in and they would have given us this print. They must have heard about this copy so why isn't R1 getting it with the "new" Boomstick Edition?

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Those of you in North America (like me) who want to buy this from YesAsia will need to go to the North American site here, rather than the address provided above.

Just got my copy. About $23 shipped, which is worth it for a new transfer (finally).

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I'm usually not a video-quality whore, but this is unbelievable. The difference in quality is astounding. While it's not worth buying a new (multi-region) DVD player for, if I ever happen to get one, this will definitely be a title I purchase.

I'll never look at my Anchor Bay AOD releases the same way again. They seem tainted now.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Along with Rob, I might have an un-opened AOD Limited edition for sale. Only 40,000 made :wink: Hmm...

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
you know what I do to NTSC DVD's that are from another region? I rip it to my harddrive and remove the region coding and reburn a new dvd-r so I can play it on my DVD player in the home theater.

edit: these are dvd's that I own the originals of, I am not condoning burning something I don't own. I just don't want to buy a multiregion dvd player if i can do it this way. I put the dvd-r regionless copy I made into the original case with the store bought one I purchased. I don't think this is illegal.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
quote:
'...No. R1 discs play on R1 only except R0 etc ...'

The reason I ask is that ive heard of a few R3 discs that ARE labeled R3, yet will play R1 (or "0") on US dvd players
The recent PULP FICTION-SE from R3 comes to mind...a few people here had that months earlier than the rest of us.

If worse comes to worst, it *will* play on my G4, which is now RC free...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The reason I ask is that ive heard of a few R3 discs that ARE labeled R3, yet will play R1 (or "0") on US dvd players
The recent PULP FICTION-SE from R3 comes to mind...a few people here had that months earlier than the rest of us.
I tried the new R3 AOD disc in my R1-only Sony player today, and it did not play. Sorry.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks