What's new

Anchor Bay to re-release Evil Dead 2 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Taken from http://www.gorezone.net/

It's going to be a Divimax edition which means it will be a new transfer from a high def source.

I dunno about this... The special edition of ED2 is already excellent. Unless the video quality is superb I don't think I'll upgrade.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i have every copy bar one from every worldwide ld and dvd ever made !

so this is a no brainer for me but everyone should buy so people forget the (shudder) remake of ed1

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Interesting...

The video could use a little bit of an upgrade. I have the original tin set which is quite a few years old now. DVD mastering has improved a lot since.

Anchor Bay usually does a great job with DiviMax (but I question the last release of The Beastmaster which was disappointing for a DiviMax).

I will be looking forward to a new release of Evil Dead II.

Anchor Bay: supply some deleted scenes as an extra this time!!

(What's up with that remake of Evil Dead? It ain't broke...)

Mike

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Unlike Army of Darkness, they haven't milked this one to death, and I would be more than willing to fork over 15-20 bucks for a Divimax version. Hopefully they will have more features this time, too, though they need to carry over the commentary and "The Gore The Merrier" video diary featurette from the last release.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

From what I understand, Sam Raimi saw the remake of 'Dawn of the Dead' [or maybe 'Chainsaw', not sure] and enjoyed it on its own merits, and saw potential in the idea of a "re-imagining" style re-make, and decided it might be interesting to have somebody different do a remake of 'Evil Dead'. So he and Campbell (and Tapert) are producing the remake (they produce a lot of horror movies, none of which seem particularly good), but also working on a sequel.

random coolness, Campbell has decided to *not* let them use the name "Ash" in the remake.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Excellent! I Evil Dead II's transfer is dissapointing even though its the best the film has probably ever looked. I assume they'll drop the pan and scan version so that alone should help improve the video quite a bit. Hopefully they include a dts track and move the extra's, aside from commentary, to the second disc. As far as new extras go I'd be surprised if a Q&A session with Bruce (and maybe others) isn't included. I would also like to see a documentary about the influence ED2 has had on films and film makers featuring interviews with various writers and directors, Peter Jackson for example; and clips from films with Evil Dead references. Aside from that I can't think of anything else they could add unless they want to be really nice and include all of the behind the scenes footage Greg Nicotero shot. (hint, hint :D )

The deleted scenes only exist now as production photo's and the above mentioned behind the scenes footage. The actual footage was either lost or destroyed, I forget which.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
destroyed as far as i can remember but photos would be nice

and how about a blood red disc al la the elite laser ;)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure all the deleted material from EVIL DEAD 2 is lost. If it existed, I'm sure Elite would've used it for their laserdisc, and AB for their original S.E. DVD. The only way to see the deleted scenes is via Nicotero's behind-the-scenes video footage of said scenes as they were being shot.

Vincent

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Maybe they could include "Within' The Woods" which was supposed to be part of the Book Of The Dead version of Evil Dead but got dropprd due to rights issues.

This would be a good excuse for an Evil Dead 2 re-release, as Evil Dead and Army of Darkness have been odne to death.

Or maybe they could do an Ultimate set of all 3 films similar to last years excellet Dawn Of The Dead!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Within The Woods was not dropped due to rights issues. It was dropped because Renaissance Pictures does not want it released. It will not end up on any future release of any film, no less the ED2 re-release.

DJ

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Never understood this old claim. The first few minutes of ED2 clearly summarize the events of the first film. ED2 then immediately picks up at the exact moment at which the first film ends and continues from there. It couldn't possibly be more obviously a sequel unless the words "SEQUEL BEGINS HERE" flashed on the screen.

As Sam Raimi says on the AOD commentary, if you removed the intro/recaps from the second two films, all 3 films could be run as a continuous story. This would be impossible if ED2 was a remake.

DJ

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
But ED2 doesn't really pick up where ED1 ended. In the other dimension/time (whatever it is), in ED1, the hero kills the creature and is praised. But in ED2 he doesn't kill it and is a slave. (If I recall all this correctly, I only watched this series of movies once).

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

You're confusing the end of ED1 with the end of ED2. It is the end of ED2 and the beginning of Army of Darkness that have that continuity error. Bruce Campbell's character doesn't do any dimension/time traveling in ED1.

ED2 picks up at the exact moment were the first film leaves off. Watch 'em again.

As for the continuity disconnect between ED2 and AOD, it's just another in a long, long line of continuity errors in the films. They're still one long story, continuity errors and all.

DJ

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I also have heard that there were rights issues, everything from unpaid actors involved in the production, to where it was shot to music that they didn't have the rights to. There were other rumors too but I don't remember much about them. I certainly don't know what the answer really is.

However, you state it as if it were cold-hard fact rather than your opinion. Source? Why don't they want it released?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Raimi's reasoning behind not releasing Within The Woods is probably because it's pretty bad. It'd be like a band releasing early demos or temp tracks of their songs. Some bands wouldn't mind people hearing their early rough stuff and some bands would be 'emabarassed'.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it but I'd guess that's the reason why it's not gonna be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks