Anchor Bay Press Release: Three's Company Season 8

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    On October 3, Anchor Bay Entertainment bids adieu to the most outrageous roomies of all-time with "Three's Company - Season 8" on DVD. The TV series that jiggled its way into the hearts of America soon became an Award winning hit and a weekly reminder that farce was alive and well and living on the beach in sunny Santa Monica. This wild 8th season set (coming out as the series has its high-profile 30th Anniversary) is packaged into a fun 4 disc set containing all 21 episodes, including the tearful two-part last episode.

Based on the British series Man of the House, "Three's Company" had fun with changing sexual attitudes and mores, and remains a colorful snapshot of the times and a laugh out loud funny pop culture phenomenon. The story of an amorous young chef named Jack Tripper (John Ritter, 3 Simple Rules), who shares a tiny beach side apartment with two very smart and sexy women, Janet (Joyce Dewitt, Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of Three's Company) and Terri (Priscilla Barnes, The Devil's Rejects), who lead Jack into a wacky barrage of sly and saucy misunderstandings. Along the way the platonic threesome will have to deal with the raised eyebrows of their not-too-hip landlord, Mr. Furley (Don Knotts, Andy Griffith Show), and their swinging bachelor neighbor, Larry (Richard Klien, Inside Schwartz).

"Three's Company - Season 8" contains some of the late John Ritter's best work and a revealing featurette that pays tribute to his masterful performance skills with physical comedy and mellow-drama. This season contains the episode "Friends and Lovers" - the finale episode of the series! It remains one of the best remembered by fans, and the show that would introduce a spin-off staring Ritter.

Special Features:

Bloopers
    John Ritter: Working With A Master
    Usted Habla Three's Company?
    Best Of Jack, Janet, Terry, Larry, Furley

2. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I have to wonder who wrote up that press release. I've never seen one with so many errors:

-First of all, John Ritter was on 8 Simple Rules. Not 3 Simple Rules.
    -Richard Kline's last name is not spelled Klien.
    -Mellow-drama? Isn't that supposed to be melodrama?
    -A spinoff staring Ritter? Supposed to be starring.

I don't mean to nitpick but errors like that just irk me. lol Now if Ron typed out the entire thing word for word, my sincerest apologies. I'm just assuming it was cut and pasted, in which case Anchor Bay should've picked up on those errors.

Grammar and typos aside, I can't wait to finally finish this series. I'm also hoping "The Ropers" and "Three's A Crowd" will be forthcoming.

3. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

That press release is very amateurish. But I don't like the extras for this final season. They needed to do a Don Knotts tribute, interviewing the surviving cast members. And maybe they should have done a series overview wrap-up, kind of a final word from everybody about their work on that show. I am sick of those "best of" clips; very boring.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    At least they stuck with this show from start to finish. Would Sony have done that? Would Warners? They tried to obtain the best possible masters, and the uncut episodes. They should be given a medal. And I've never seen an episode of this show in my life.

5. Dan*T

Dan*T Supporting Actor

"I'm also hoping "The Ropers" and "Three's A Crowd" will be forthcoming."

Me too!
    Although I truly doubt that will happen now, considering TC is now finished, it doesnt make marketing sense to release those now. They should have done it in conjuntion with TC, perhaps as a "Bonus PKG".

Unless of course they have something else planned for future releases...

6. Firebee

Firebee Supporting Actor

This is another series I'm completing. Thank goodness. [​IMG]

7. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    Right.If any of the "Big 5" owned Three's Company,how many seasons do you think would have been released ,before they cried "This isn't selling well"?I shudder to think.We probably would have got season 2 ,or 3,at the most.And probably not at the pace that Anchor Bay released them. As for the extras,AB has put extras on every season set except for the first season.There have been shows released on DVD,that were just as popular as Three's Company,that have had no extras,at all. I think Anchor Bay has done a great job with putting this series on DVD(great picture and sound quality,uncut episodes,extras) and the other studios should strive to be as good,with their properties

8. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

9. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

The first season is very inexpensive and is only six episodes long. You really ought to give it a shot.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I simply cut-n-pasted the Press Release as it was mailed to me.

....so, for once, my poor proofreading skills are not to blame! [​IMG]

11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I got it at BestBuy...they had an offer if you buy season 8, you get another season of your choice FREE. Well, that pizzes me off, if I'd known that, I'd not have bought season 7 till now...I could have got it free today. Bah! Also, on the front, there is a sticker that says "Includes 30-year Reunion Special." What reunion special? Does the sticker lie?

12. Firebee

Firebee Supporting Actor

He's right...look at Charmed. No extras at all with six seasons almost out.

13. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

does anybody else notice that they used the same exact disc art on season 8 that thay used on season 7?

14. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Well, I finally finished watching season 8. Overall, I wasn't all that impressed with seasons 6-8. There were some really funny episodes in each of those seasons, but for me, the show just got really stale. Also, I wasn't at all happy about how the series was ended. You could just tell that the final episode was nothing more than a set up for Three's A Crowd. If the episode had ended when Terry shut off the lights in the empty apartment and closed the door, I would have been much happier. That long drawn out scene between Jack and Vicki getting into bed was just tired. It just came off as very, very strained. I have to agree with Joyce DeWitt about the last episode. It wasn't a great ending to Three's Company. It could have and should have been much, much better.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I can watch the later seasons, but yeah . . . the magic was pretty much gone. I liked Furley as a kid, but I see him as a very poor replacement for the Ropers now. Also, I was glad to see Chrissy go when she did, since she became a horrible parody of herself, but it was sickening how Joyce DeWitt picked up the mantle to a certain extent. I just watched the one where Teri falls for a soap star, and Joyce gives this over-the-top speech to Furley. "WE'RE NOT TALKIN' ABOUT THE SOAPS HERE! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT REAL LIFE!" She was frequently that way towards the end, which was not how she ever was before.

16. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Yeah. I have to agree. After season 4, the show had pretty much lost it's magic. Janet became so over the top. Terry started off smart, funny and really likeable, but ended up just as dumb as Chrissy. Furley, I was never big on in the first place, but he was ok for his first season. He wasn't the Ropers, but he had a certain charm. His character by the end had become a parody. The show just seemed to have one wheel stuck in the sand for the last few seasons. I was actually going to stop getting the DVD sets once I had season 5, but decided to go ahead and complete the series. I'm glad I did, but I seriously doubt that I'll rewatch any of the later seasons. Seasons 1-4 are my favorite and in my opinion the best seasons of the whole series.

17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Hmm.. I agree about Season 8 but Seasons 4-7 will always be my favorite. I know I'm in the minority but I prefer Terri to Chrissy for both character and looks and I was never a big Ropers fan. They were funny in Season 1-2 but became tiresome and repetitive in Season 3. I also find Seasons 1-3 to be the most dated and the episodes that match the shows stereotype of nothing but sex and misunderstanding jokes. The series expanded some in terms of stories in Season 4 and on with Larry a major player from that point and Furley added new elements as well. I agree Terri was best in season 6 and they shouldn't have dumbed her down. I'm happy to have the whole series myself but it is Season 1-3 and 8 that I'll have the most trouble re-watching.