Anchor Bay Press Release: The Wicker Man

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    On August 22nd, Anchor Bay Entertainment, an IDT Entertainment company, will be re-releasing The Wicker Man DVD, repackaged at a new low suggested price of $14.98. Presenting the acclaimed U.S. theatrical version of the 1978 cult horror classic, fully restored from original vault materials, The Wicker Man is the literate-yet-terrifying inspiration for the September 1st theatrical remake starring Nicolas Cage.

When a young girl mysteriously disappears, Police Sergeant Howie (Edward Woodward of “The Equalizer”) travels to a remote Scottish island to investigate. But this pastoral community, led by the strange Lord Summerisle (Christopher Lee, Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Star Wars prequels), is not what it seems as the devout Christian detective soon uncovers a secret society of unbridled lust and pagan blasphemy. Can Howie stop the cult’s ultimate sacrifice before he comes face-to-face with the horror of THE WICKER MAN? Britt Ekland, Diane Cilento and Ingrid Pitt co-star in this provocative shocker written by Anthony Shaffer (Sleuth, Frenzy) that many fans and critics worldwide consider a modern horror masterpiece.

The Wicker Man DVD has the following bonus features:

Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1), enhanced for 16x9 televisions
    Interviews with Stars Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee and Ingrid Pitt, Director Robin Hardy, Producer Peter Snell, Writer Anthony Shaffer, Editor Eric-Boyd Perkins, Art Director Seamus Flannery, Assistant Director Jake Wright, U.S. Distributor John Simon and Legendary Filmmaker Roger Corman
    Theatrical Trailer
    TV Spot
    Radio Spots
    Talent Bios

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I seem to recall that the original release was a cut version. Does this mean that since you mentioned from original vault material that this is the uncut version? I guess I'm optimistic but I also noticed that you mentioned it was a re-release so I'm hoping that it is not just a restored version of what is already available. Thanks for the info Ron.

3. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

It sounds simply like a price reduced reissue of the single disc, which had the bonus documentary. The limited edition wooden box featured a bonus disc of the Roger Corman 1" video master extended cut, with "restored" footage used in place of lower resolution videotape footage.

4. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

I actually preferred the cut version, but that's just me I suppose.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Much like Army of Darkness, the cut version is a little tighter.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The 1" analogue video master of the longer version was not from Roger Corman; Corman actually holds a 35mm print of this longer version, yet it wasn't used for the transfer, for some reason. Or am I wrong?

7. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

The film would look wonderfull if restored, as it has an aged, soft, low budget look to it-and the spliced in videotape sections looks worse.

Its comforting to know that a 35mm print of the longer version exists:what will it take to get Corman to restore/release it....

8. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

Wow. I can't believe they didn't license the commentary track.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Will this be a non-rotting version, unlike the boxed set I have but can't play anymore?

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

Since the press release says it's the "the acclaimed U.S. theatrical version," that means it won't be the longer version.

DJ

11. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

anyone mind telling me the differences in the cuts?

12. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I remember a prologue that gives more insight into the Constables Episcopalian backround, showing him to be a devout, very religious, 'modern' church going man, who was strictly against "Earth Spririt" paganism-sort of a cross between Gaia and witchcraft that has been practiced in the British Isles for centuries;
    We also see him go to the Highlands District police office where he is given the assignment of finding the missing girl. This will cut into the start of the Theatrical version, with the his seaplane flying over the landscape, and the credits rolling to some very beautiful, ancient Celtic sounding music.
    There may have been more nudity- I recall that he too, is attracted, rather than indifferent/repelled by the Saloon keepers lovely daughters offering of herself in the room next door and uses all his might to repell his longing to give in and exprience the charms she is offering....
    It has been a long time since I have seen it-so some of the above may be off-
    I wish the elements were in better shape-there are times that it has a 16mm home movie look to it-not to mention age and damage.

13. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

The 1" tape was the source for the original domestic VHS release (from Media Home Entertainment in 1978) - I had dubbed that version years ago. Supposedly Corman's 35mm print (which was the source for the telecined videotape) had been lost. There is a noticeable difference in quality if you have the limited edition disc to watch. As I mentioned earlier, all duplicate footage for this disc was replaced using the regular length restored 35mm British print.

http://www.steve-p.org/wm/ - The various versions of The Wicker Man

14. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I have the wooden box already, but would have picked this up if it had the R2 commentary.

15. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes it was, AFAIK.

17. Steve.P

Steve.P Agent

No running time on Anchor Bay's website, however, Amazon lists this reissue at 88 minutes, which would make it the shorter UK theatrical cut, not the 99-minute US cut. (The longer version, sourced from Roger Corman's sole print, was released theatrically in the US in the late '70s to great critical and public acclaim.) So just a straight reissue, it would seem.

Anchor Bay link: http://www.anchorbayentertainment.co...784&PriCatID=3

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FUF6QS/

18. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Nothing to be confused about. This is just a re-release at a lower price, as stated in the press release.

19. Steve.P

Steve.P Agent

The confusion comes because the press release was obviously written by some gimp in the office who has probably never even seen The Wicker Man.

Quoting from the above press release: "Presenting the acclaimed U.S. theatrical version of the 1978 cult horror classic ..."

The Wicker Man was released in 1973 in Britain, 1974 in the United States. It was completely ignored on its initial U.S. run, only achieving the "acclaim" it deserved on its late-'70s re-release. But that re-release was of the longer 'Roger Corman' version, not the original theatrical cut, which is what Anchor Bay are giving us here. It's all in the wording, and this press release is a typically shoddy affair.

20. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Sorry but I'm still confused. If Amazon lists it at 88 min and Anchor Bay is saying it is the re-released theatrical run, I believe one of them has to be wrong. It seems like it is the longer cut and Amazon just has the wrong running time on it.