1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anchor Bay Press Release: The Hateful Eight (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I'm pretty sure the Roadshow cut will be released down the line so I'll wait.

2. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    It may be my favourite film of the year but I won't be buying the bluray unless it is the full roadshow version.

3. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    While I understand the desire for the Roadshow version (and I'm speaking as someone who hasn't seen the film yet), I can understand QT's desire to keep that as a theatrical experience only, especially since it's not in the DCP and likely has yet to be transferred to a digital format, as I understand no DI was created for Hateful Eight. All colour correction and timing was done optically. While it is a relatively simple matter of scanning an IP of the Roadshow version and grading and timing to match an answer print, if the director does not want this done and it's in his contract that he has final say on such things, there's really nothing we can do about it, is there? I don't think any size group of "no roadshow, no sale" protesters would be able to convince him otherwise.

Remember: How long have we been waiting for ANY video release of Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair?

TravisR and davidmatychuk like this.
  4. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

5. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Don't worry about creating a digital version - the cinemas who are showing the roadshow also get a digital backup just in case. So this also means that bringing it to Blu-ray would NOT be much of an effort.

6. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I waited 50 years for the definitive Lawrence of Arabia on physical media. I doubt it will be that long a wait for the roadshow version of Mr. Tarantino's magnum opus.

davidmatychuk likes this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    They made a DCP of the Roadshow version which was also shipped to the theaters that got the 70mm prints as backups - so it does exist in a high quality digital format.

8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I had to wait for the long cuts of The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies, so I'll do the same here.

9. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

While there's probably nothing I can say here that hasn't already been said, I'll just say this to anyone involved in this release that may be reading and any other industry people in general

NO SALE!

Too bad, I rather liked the movie too.

10. Message #30 of 56 Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Sorry, I will never watch this movie without the Overture. I know it sounds trival, but to me it's like watching "2001" or "Star Trek: TMP" without the overtures. In other words, unheard of.

Allansfirebird and Thomas T like this.
  11. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I will also wait for the Roadshow version.

12. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I will wait for the roadshow version in UHD and I won't settle for less, this is a 70mm Ultra Panavision movie after all!

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

People are going to be waiting for a long, long time for the Roadshow version. He always meant that version to be a special treat for those who made the effort to seek out a 70mm screening. I'd like to see it too, but I'd rather be able to watch the theatrical version whenever I'd like as opposed to waiting for the longer version that will likely never come.

TravisR likes this.
  14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yep. About the best anyone can hope for is a situation like Grindhouse where the movie didn't make enough money and the Weinsteins release the roadshow version down the line to make some of their money back.

The home video market is near death and so special edition re-releases are almost non-existent today. I'm trying to think of examples of somewhat recent movies that have gotten a re-release and while there must be some, I'm coming up blank. The Hobbit movies don't really count because that's just the established release pattern for those movies. The Martian is supposed to be getting an SE later this year but that was a much bigger hit than The Hateful Eight and from a much bigger company.

15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Gravity
    X-Men: Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut

TravisR likes this.
  16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Argo and The Town have also gotten re-releases too.

17. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    While I enjoyed the experience of watching this movie in the theater, I'm not sure I'm motivated to see this again. At least at full price. I'll wait for the bargain bin pricing on this. I would like the Roadshow version.

18. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

The Bits seems to be under the impression that the Roadshow version will be released later this year. Maybe they know something we don't, but I'm guessing it's just speculation. Although, I'd expect they'll dig a little deeper on the decision to release only the "general" version and if we can indeed expect another release down the line.

I just don't get it. The movie underperformed, so why release the BD in a way that they (should) know is going to cost them sales? Especially when it would be so easy in this case to use branching to deliver both versions. If it's Tarantino himself behind this, that's just selfish. What other "Roadshow" movies have not been released in "Roadshow" format on video at this point?

19. Paul Willson

Paul Willson Auditioning

Paul Willson
    I saw the roadshow under the impression it would likely be the only time I would see it that way.
    Everything about Tarantino home video releases since Kill Bill indicates he is past the days of feature packed collections. No Kill Bill whole bloody affair or wide releases of the japanese version. Not even a special edition of the R rated cuts. Inglorious and Django barely have 6 featurettes between them and have been out for years. There is ample footage for extended versions of both.
    I've made my peace with this. Day one purchase.

20. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Well, good for you, I suppose. I just can't regress to a compromised version in this case. There's no good reason to justify withholding the roadshow version. I could accept if it was likely that the roadshow version would get a release at a later date, but as indicated several times here the track record of alternate/extended/more robust versions of Tarantino movies does not bode well for the expectation of the roadshow release in the near future.

The thing with the Kill Bill releases are that they are representative of what everybody saw in US theaters. A North American release of the Japanese version or TWBA would be nice but in this case it's gravy. The roadshow version was in US theaters so there should be no logical reason for it to be withheld. QT might have some notion that it's a "special" version that is only meant for theaters, and no one at this point knows yet that this came down from QT himself (as I indicated, earlier, I expect we'll get more info in the coming days). But let's just say it was QT, he should know that possibly aside from extremely rare screenings, T.H.E. especially on 70mm film will never see the inside of a cinema again. So he'd essentially be saying that if you weren't lucky enough to close enough to a city where the roadshow was screened, you're SOL. Stingy, if you ask me.

Reed Grele likes this.