Anchor Bay Press Release: Roseanne: Season Three

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE WORKING CLASS HEREOS TRIPLE THE LAUGHS

IDT ENTERTAINMENT’S
    ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT AND
    CARSEY-WERNER ANNOUNCE

ROSEANNE: SEASON THREE

All 25 Original Uncut Episodes On DVD For The First Time Ever!

TROY, MI – The show that changed family sitcoms forever is back with even more blue collar laughs. On March 21, Anchor Bay Entertainment, an IDT Entertainment Company, and Carsey-Werner will release Roseanne: Season Three on DVD. This award-winning series broke new ground and gained mass popularity. Roseanne: Season Three will be available on a four disc set at a suggested retail price of $39.98. Pre-order date is February 21.

Roseanne Barr, unleashed her riotous stand-up persona on the world of weekly TV when ABC premiered the series Roseanne in 1988. This look into the lives of the Conners family became an instant hit with the viewers, many who saw a bit of themselves in the less than perfect family.

In Roseanne: Season Three the Conners return, claiming title of America’s funniest family: there is Roseanne (Rockin’ with Roseanne and She-Devil) as the matriarch of the family, loving and sarcastic. John Goodman (O Brother, Where Art Thou?) as her loyal and equally sarcastic husband, Dan. Their children included the eldest, Becky (Lecy Gorenson – Boys Don’t Cry), the sardonic Darlene (Sara Gilbert – “24,” “ER”) and the youngest of the bunch, D.J. (Michael Fishman – A.I.: Artificial Intelligence). Laurie Metcalf (Dear God, Scream 2) is on board as Roseanne’s sister, Jackie.

Besides an unforgettable cast, Roseanne: Season Three features equally memorable guest stars such as Ned Beatty (Deliverance), Estelle Parsons (Empire Falls), Tobey Maguire (Spiderman), Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic), and the late Shelley Winters (The Poseidon Adventure). Also added, as semi-regulars, for this season are Martin Mull (“Fernwood Tonight”) and Tom Arnold (“The Best Damn Sports Show”).

Roseanne: Season Three continues with delving into social and familial issues, with episodes about PMS, unemployment, and the melancholy of teenage love. Included in this set is the fan favorite “Do You Know Where Your Parents Are?” with Dan and Roseanne celebrating their wedding anniversary in a cheap hotel with hot sex and cold pizza!

Bonus Features Include:

The Sister That Never Leaves: Laurie Metcalf Interview
    I Was A Teenage Becky: Lecy Gorenson Interview
    Best Of Season Three: A Cool Collection Of Favorite Moments

2. MichaelFA

MichaelFA Stunt Coordinator

Didn't Roseanne say in an interview a long time ago that she would gladly do commentaries for the episodes if they ever came out on DVD? Why hasn't she done any yet?

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

IMO, up until the sixth season... Roseanne was a show that progressively got better with each season. Season 1 was cute but forgettable, season 2 was a little better, season 3 was much better, season 4 was excellent, season 5 was phenomenal (Roseanne won the Emmy this year) and then it all peaked in the sixth season IMO. Seasons 7-9 were spotty and divisive to a lot of fans though but outside of the seventh season (Roseanne has gone on record that her heart wasn't in the season because of the divorce with Tom Arnold as well as her pregnancy and new marriage), Roseanne was always watchable.

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

Roseanne might be saving the commentaries for seasons 4-6, since those were widely regarded as the peak years.

5. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I quite enjoyed the intros she did on various episodes of the first season set. I loved her insights on the show, etc. It was disappointing that none of these were evident on season 2. I also hope we get some commentary tracks in the forseeable future.

6. MattSav

MattSav Stunt Coordinator

I'd gladly buy this season (and season 2) if only Anchor Bay would re-release season 1 with the network versions instead of the syndicated versions (or offer a mail in trade).

7. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    I want an uncut season one as well but I'm not about to pass up future uncut sets just to protest the bad job done with the first one. That would be like shooting yourself in the television.

I, too hope Roseanne and other cast members will do commentaries at some point. If Roseanne is not as happy with the earliest years I can understand that. But you would think other cast members would be more than happy to comment on them. Of course they likely haven't been asked. It's Roseanne everyone wants to hear from. Loud & uncensored.

As far as the quality of the show across the years, everyone has their own opinion. The first season was far too sitcom-y but still funnier that most. I think through most of the run it got better & Roseanne became a good actress. I would say in the last couple of season it simply wasn't the show it used to be but still heads above just about everything else. The final season was understandably blasted. Many of the episodes were utterly absurd and forced. However, there are some great ones, too when they focus on the normal home life of the characters. The episode where Dan & Roseanne break up
    is fabulous and helped explain John Goodman's decreased part in the show. The finale where the entire series was revealed to have been a partially fictionalized story written by Roseanne Conner about her family
    was a very interesting idea but badly executed as the show had completely run out of steam by them.

If they come out, I'll be buying every season without delay. And as Roseanne would say "Fat chicks rule, dirtbag!"