What's new

Anchor Bay Press Release: Roseanne: Season One (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Another lost sale on this part.

Seriously, is there a conscious effort on the part of these companies to piss people off?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Its ashame that this has happened, especially with Roseanne being so heavily involved in this process, but this is yet another set I'm crossing off my list, right next to the Cosby Show.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Now I'm severely pissed. I was looking forward to this show more than any other. Even long before news arose in regards to a DVD release, I hoped someday it would become available. This is getting absolutely out of hand. I had a bad taste in my mouth after reading about "The Cosby Show" edits. A small part of me wondered if Carsey/Werner would do the same to this. Lo and behold, they did. I am REALLY on the fence about this. I don't by any means want to support a release containing nothing but syndication cuts, but on the other hand, this is bar none one of my favorite sitcoms of all time. When will it end? It's bad enough that 7 episodes on the upcoming "Married...With Children" 4th season set are syndicated cuts. It's coming to the point where I may just stop buying TV on DVD altogether. This is getting absolutely rediculous. Sorry for the rant, but this really pissed me off.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Anchor Bay should not be let off the hook. If they are releasing edited product, it should be disclosed on the packaging.

If the edited versions are all that is provided, they could have simply chosen not to release the series at all. If they willing release edited stuff, they should be up front about it.

If were Anchor Bay, I'd simply make sure there was a clause in the licensing contract that stated uncut elements were part of the deal.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Roseanne's in my top three shows of all time, so I will still get it regardless. Least I can do is throw out my N@N recorded episode tapes now.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
Not shocking at all. Obviously there are tons of people that feel the same way. Unfortunately, it is because of these people that Carsey-Werner can get away with this crap. And yes, it's one of my favorite shows too, but there's ZERO chance I'll be buying it now.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

least we can do is express dismay to C-W. I am getting Roseanne for free to review so I don't have to pay for it anyways. I MIGHT get Cosby Show only because I'll be able to get it for $12.99 at FYE with $20 in coupons I must use next week. But I'd never pay full price for either.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey y'all,

I just checked AMAZON again to see how the sales of this were doing and check out the "review" from this assbag!

Stop the Whining!!!, August 6, 2005
Reviewer: KJ Tucker (Gaithersburg, MD) - See all my reviews

Roseanne is an awesome show and I for one intend to still purchase these DVDs because:

a)We do not know for sure that they will be the "edited" versions. Just because some idiots are claiming that they e-mailed Anchor Bay and got a response doesn't mean it's true. Production companies rarely reply to public e-mails, so I find this very hard to believe. I also took some time to check both Anchor Bay and Casey-Werner's websites and in their descriptions of the DVDs there is nothing about them being the syndicated versions.

b) Even if they ARE the edited versions, they don't edit anything important from the shows! They edit music leading into a scene and little miniscule bits of non-dialogue at the beginning of scenes. Dialogue is NOT cut and the storyline is unaffected! They even leave in the jokes at the end after the credits roll (speaking of which, some of what is edited is also just credits). My point being is, you don't notice the edits at ALL.

c) Also IF they are edited versions, there is NOTHING we can do about it--absolutely NOTHING. They will not redo the DVDs just because a few people cancelled their pre-orders!! The only thing you're doing by not buying the DVDs is depriving yourself of having one of the greatest TV shows ever on DVD!! Plus you'll miss all the cool extras!!

Listen, I wasn't happy when they released "Roswell" on DVD and changed the music, but I'm still going to buy the DVDs, because they're the only ones they'll release and I love the show and want to have it on DVD. Sometimes you just have to accept that TV is a business and there are things beyond our control. We as consumers can whine all we want, but some things will never change!! :) That's just my opinion on the subject!! I say if you liked the show, buy the DVDs. I heard that Roseanne had a lot to do with the extras and really pushed for the release of the DVDs, so that alone consoles me!!

Was this review helpful to you?

Interesting.. So first we're all "idiots" then he says "it doesn't affect the shows", then he says he wasn't happy about "Roswell"'s changes but there's nothing we can do. I wish he'd make up his mind as to his viewpoint. Mmmmm, I should have "crazyflakes" for breakfast like he must have had!

PLEASE someone respond to him at amazon.

:) d

edit: I did. Even though I couldn't leave a 2nd "review", I edited my original one as a reply.

:) d

I understand that people have different viewpoints. People can think, do and spend their $ however they like. But MAN, calling us "idiots" really ticked me off...

but what do I know... ;)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
And this isn't an amazon.com review that people might be potentially reading.

He should correct his post too. The set's been reviewed online, and they say it's the edited versions as well.

He also says that no dialogue is cut, then proceeds to say "a little dialogue is cut."

I'm sorry... isn't this a sitcom? Most of these are written for dialogue and one-liners as much as they are for the story.

Who wants to read about the episode when Darlene shows up late from her night at a rock concert as ... "Jackie phones the police to try to find Darlene..."? I'd rather have the original..

Jackie to Charlotte - "What did Molly [neighbor girl with Darlene] have on?"
Charlotte - "Um... a skirt, a jean jacket, and this sweater she wears when she wants to get guys."
Jakcie [into phone] - "Guy gettin' sweater."

It's upsetting to know that I'm probably NEVER going to get to see these as they were originally released.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

True, true, but he started it!!!!!! ;)

Also, by advertisng this as "The complete first season", aren't they opening themselves up to some false advertising legal thingamabob? I mean, it's 90% of the first season.

d

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, if you add it up... 2 minutes for 23 episodes... they pretty much removed two episodes worth of material...

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Since Season 2 is set for December, it'll probably be cut also. We at least have a shot at Season 3+.

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, extending what Robert said, the equivalence of 2 episodes per season will be missing with syndicated episodes. That's 18 episodes worth of material total if they release the other seasons cut (almost an entire season missing). That's significant and disrespectful to such a great show. We may still have a shot at season 2. They can always delay the release if they really want to. Especially if they get a lot of emails asking for uncut episodes.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, Roseanne was one of my all time favourite sitcoms.
With the edits I am gonna steer clear. I guess I will convert all my mpgs from my DVR to VCDs, if I am gonna have network edits I sure am not going to pay for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks