Anchor Bay Press Release: Masters of Horror: Joe Dante's "Homecoming"

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    They’re looking for a few good men…pulse optional

IDT ENTERTAINMENT’S
    ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT
    PRESENTS THE DVD PREMIERE OF

“MASTERS OF HORROR” --
    JOE DANTE’S “HOMECOMING”

Enlistment Begins July 11, 2006

TROY, MI – Sometimes Horror Reaches From Beyond The Grave Into The Headlines…“Homecoming” directed by Joe Dante, perhaps the most controversial feature of the critically-acclaimed Masters of Horror anthology series, bows on DVD on Tuesday, July 11th, from Anchor Bay Entertainment, an IDT Entertainment company. Decorated with a phalanx of bonus features, “Homecoming” brandishes an SRP of $16.98. Pre-book is June 7, 2006.

The subject of intense debate since its first airing and featured in The Los Angeles Times and Newsweek magazine, Joe Dante’s (The Howling, Gremlins, Looney Tunes Back In Action), “Homecoming” blends zombie horror and contemporary political satire with chilling – and timely -- results. Terror and scandal grip the nation when dead soldiers rise en masse to have their voices heard one more time during the Presidential election. Based on the award-winning short story “Death and Suffrage” by Dale Baily and adapted by Sam Hamm (Batman), “Homecoming” stars Jon Tenney (Looking For Comedy in the Muslim World) and veteran Dante collaborator Robert Picardo (The Howling, Innerspace and TV’s “Star Trek Voyager”).

JOE DANTE’S HOMECOMING boasts a battalion of DVD extras:

Widescreen Presentation (1.77:1), enhanced for 16x9 TVs
    Featurettes: “The Dead Come Marching,” “Working With A Master: Joe Dante,”
    Behind The Scenes: The Making of Homecoming
    On Set: An Interview with Jon Tenney
    On Set: An Interview with Robert Picardo
    On Set: An Interview with Thea Gill
    Audio Commentary with Writer Sam Hamm
    Fantasy Film Festival: Mick Garris Interviews Joe Dante
    Trailers
    Still Gallery
    Joe Dante Bio
    Screenplay (DVD-ROM)
    Screensaver (DVD-ROM)
    Premiering on the Showtime cable network in October 2005 to critical and public acclaim, each one-hour “Masters of Horror” film elevates the genre to a new standard in terror, written and directed by some of the genre’s leading practitioners.

Anchor Bay Entertainment is promoting “Masters of Horror” on DVD with a multi-level marketing campaign including interactive on-line promotions, national television, genre/industry print advertising and a partnership with national cable network American Movie Classics. Additionally, the film will be cross-trailered on upcoming Anchor Bay DVD releases.

Anchor Bay Entertainment is a recognized name in home entertainment. The company offers an expansive selection of award-winning, notable theatrical films including “Time Bandits” and “Halloween,” classic television programming such as “Roseanne,” “3rd Rock from the Sun,” “Three’s Company,” “Highlander” and much of the Stephen J. Cannell library, traditional children’s fare featuring the ever-popular Thomas & Friends collection and Mister Rogers Neighborhood, the impressive Manga anime line and chart-topping fitness titles including the "Crunch" and "For Dummies" series. Anchor Bay Entertainment is aggressively developing a wide range of original programs and concepts in addition to licensing existing brands and films.

Anchor Bay Entertainment is a subsidiary of IDT Entertainment. IDT Entertainment is a vertically integrated entertainment company that develops, produces, and distributes proprietary and licensed entertainment content.

MASTERS OF HORROR:
    JOE DANTE’S HOMECOMING

Street Date: July 18, 2006
    Pre-Book: June 7, 2006
    Catalog #: DV14467
    UPC: 0-1313-14467-9 1
    Run Time: 59 Minutes
    Rating: Not Rated
    SRP: $16.98

2. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

This is by far the Worst of the Masters of Horror series and the only one I find to be unwatchable. It is embarassingly bad and I like Joe Dante. One of the 1st horror films I cringed and rolled my eyes at all the way through in quite some time. Horrible and Ridiculous Script and its not funny, scary or gory just a total waste of film and time. If you have to see it and don't have Showtime then a rental is Highly Recommended.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I don't agree. Did you see the John Landis one? That one was beyond terrible.

The Dante one, agree with the politics or not, had to be one of the most pointed attacks on the Bush Administration and the War in Iraq that anyone has done. I think Variety wrote a piece saying it is obvious that not many people are watching Showtime, as this episode would have been slammed by the right wing if they knew it was out there. Have to at least give it credit for that.

It wasn't a great episode, but neither were most of the other ones. I thought it was in the top half or third of the episodes.

4. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yes the Landis one was bad as well and I would not buy it but it was watchable unlike the Dante one.
    Concerning the plot it was Childish, Ridiculous, Embarassing and out of place and certainly does not deserve any sort of credit for doing something any grade school student could have done. In fact it was also one of the worst horror films I have ever seen period and I have seen most of them.

I enjoyed all but 3 of the series and am looking forward to the 2nd season but this episode certainly will remain a soil mark on the series.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For some sick reason, I want to see the Dante and Landis ones since I've heard so much bad stuff about them. I guess it's like rubbernecking at a car accident.

6. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    As a big Joe Dante fan, I was really surprised by how terrible this episode is. Now, some parts of it are fun -- when the zombies first turn up, what they're up to is really funny. But I think it's killed by the main character and his girlfriend, who are so unlikeable that... well, you don't give a damn about what happens to them.

"Pointed", maybe -- but it's pretty heavy-handed. It could've been twice as subtle and still very obvious.

The gag about what the zombies are doing, and how it's revealed, are very much worth seeing, though.

7. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Any reason for the dramatic change in artwork of the cover of this one dvd? The others (as far as I can tell) still retain the theme of the previous episodes?

[​IMG]

8. Nick Zbu

Nick Zbu Stunt Coordinator

Probably so some people don't take Masters of Horror to task for it just based on its political message.

9. eric tengren

eric tengren Stunt Coordinator

I really liked this one. joe dante said a lot of things that he felt needed to be said . but no, it wasn't gory or scary. horror as polemic pisses people off. like Romeros's LAND OF THE DEAD, where he sicked his zombies on the Bush administration .which is right on for some, and ham handed liberal crap to others. but I think considering the Directing talent involved, MOH was very disapointing {I have not seen MIIKE'S Film} I expected much more from Landis and Carpenter, two of my favorite directors.

10. Nick Zbu

Nick Zbu Stunt Coordinator

I hope they do better in their second season. The effort itself is worthy enough, but the premise of meshing horror movie directors into a shortened format can be different. Sure, they don't have to deal with censorship to some extent (unless you're Miike), but the whole atmosphere and set up is quite different than a movie.

And Dante did need to say that. Someone did. And I think I saw this at Wal-Mart a few days ago on sale for $10.

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I actually liked the Masters of Horror series for the most part. Other than this childish and embarassing effort from Dante and the almost as bad Deer Woman I found the series to be good, there were a couple of other episodes that were only mediocre but 6 or 7 of them I liked. By the way gore had nothing to do with the Dante episode being bad and he didn't say what he needed to say all that has already been said over and over ad nausem. He used this episode to make a political statement and could careless about making a good horror episode. Which is why it came across as inappropriate, forced and childish. I was one of the few Dante supporters left these days but not anymore I have now lost all respect that I used to hold for him.