ANCHOR BAY PRESS RELEASE: Fright Packs - Cooler Than Hell!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Nothing Kills That Summer Thirst Quicker Than A Nice, Cold… Horror Film!

But Which Is Better… Less Expensive or Scares Great?

HORROR DVD LEADER ANCHOR BAY ENTERTAINMENT

GOES NUTS FOR “FRIGHT PACKS – COOLER THAN HELL”

First Two “Six-Packs” Arrive July 26th

6 Premium Horror Films For One Great Price With Unique Eye-Catching 6-Pack Foil Packaging

TORONTO ON, -- Anchor Bay Entertainment, the acknowledged industry leader in Horror DVD programming and marketing, once again proves that there’s nothing cooler than a great horror film with their all-new branding concept: “Fright Packs – Cooler Than Hell!” Culled from Anchor Bay’s extensive and unparalleled horror film library, “Fright Packs” package six chilling features linked under a common theme, wrapped in a “six-pack” simulated carrying case, complete with beer-can artwork and easy-grip handle! The first two “Fright Packs” invade shelves on Tuesday, July 26 under the diabolical themes “The Devil Made Me Do It” and “Campy Classics”, each with the devilishly affordable SRP of $39.98

“Anchor Bay has always sought to not only present the best horror films, but also explore unique and creative ways in presenting these film classics to the fans,” remarked Tom Bambard, Brand Director, Anchor Bay Entertainment. “’Fright Packs’ represent a fresh approach to branding and creatively packaging collections of films in a fun, thoroughly tongue-in-cheek way.”

Anchor Bay Entertainment pioneered the concept of innovative packaging for DVD. >From the license-plated “Repo Man” set to the wood-boxed “Wicker Man” Limited Edition; from the “Sleepaway Camp” Survival Kit to the award-winning “Evil Dead: Book of the Dead” DVD – packaged in the “flesh-like” replica of the original Necronomicon featured in the film -- Anchor Bay has always believed that great packaging is part of the experience of great horror.

Each “Fright Pack” offers six separate horror films, sporting a “beer-can” with artwork from each title and wrapped in specially designed foil packaging that not only will catch consumers’ eyes and interest, but also keeps the movies at the optimum temperature for viewing! Complete with handle for easy carrying, “Fright Packs” are the perfect relaxer after a killer day at work or just scaring up some friends for a frightful good time!

On July 26th, fans and consumers will be able to enjoy the first two “Fright Packs” with the following blood-curdling themes and spine-tingling films:

FRIGHT PACK: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT (DV13732)

THE ANTICHRIST – In Rome, a beautiful young woman is left paralyzed by the trauma of a horrific childhood accident. Mankind's only hope for salvation is a harrowing exorcism that will either cast out the devil forever or open the door for the unspeakable birth of THE ANTICHRIST!

FEAR NO EVIL – Andrew Williams is a shy, awkward high school student with a straight ‘A’ average and a horrifying secret. Now that the legions of the undead have risen, some very unexpected archangels gather as the final horrific battle for the unholy soul of mankind is about to begin.

HELL NIGHT – When their seemingly innocent rite of passage turns deadly, these college students will do anything to survive Hell Night.

CURSE OF THE DEVIL – Legendary Spanish horror star Paul Naschy returns as Waldemar Daninsky, marked for all eternity with the ancestral curse of the werewolf. As the full moon rises and the horror takes hold, is the rage of the werewolf any match for the damnations of the devil himself?

TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER – When an American occult novelist (Hollywood legend Richard Widmark) uncovers the conspiracy, he must battle an international cabal of evil for the body and soul of the Devil’s child-bride. Hammer film starring legend Christopher Lee.

THE CHURCH – Can the blood of the innocent survive this unholy communion or will the ultimate demonic evil be unleashed upon the world? Co-written by famed Italian horror director Dario Argento.

FRIGHT PACK: CAMPY CLASSICS (DV13851)

ELVIRA – Elvira busts out in her outrageously funny feature film debut. When her Great Aunt dies, famed horror hostess Elvira® heads for the uptight New England town of Falwell to claim her inheritance of a haunted house, a witch's cookbook and a punk rock poodle.

RETURN OF THE KILLER TOMATOES – They‘re back and this time, they‘re really stewed! Mad genetic scientist Professor Gangreen (John Astin) is plotting to take over the world by creating a race of mighty tomato warriors and one wanton tomato woman (Karen Mistal). Can two heroes defeat the most fiendish red menace of all or will the girl of their dreams turn out be a complete vegetable?

TRANSYLVANIA 6-5000 – Tabloid reporters (Jeff Goldblum and Ed Begley, Jr.) are sent to Transylvania to find the Frankenstein monster, where they face the horrors of a clumsy butler (Michael Richards), a nymphomaniac vampire (Geena Davis) and more Transylvanian oddballs.

RETURN TO HORROR HIGH – Crippen High School was the scene of a series of brutal murders. The killer was never caught. A low-budget film crew (including George Clooney), has returned to film the story of what actually happened. Now it appears that the depraved maniac is back.

SLEEPAWAY CAMP – When happy campers begin to die in a series of horrible accidents, they discover that someone – or something – has turned their summer of fun into a vacation to dismember.

VAMP – Can a group of fraternity pledges survive a bizarre onslaught of vixens and vamps, or will the armies of the undead take the ultimate bite out of their night?

Serving Premium Horror since 1989, Anchor Bay Entertainment is committed to bringing horror fans their favorite films on DVD. We use only the finest ingredients – choice film transfers, select sound mastering, comprehensive bonus content and great packaging that generations of horror fans have come to trust. Remember: Watch Fright Packs responsibly – or not – it’s your call!

Watch for more “Fright Packs” in September!

2. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc

So does that mean they are going to fnally fix SLEEPAWAY CAMP and serve up the uncut R-rated version instead of the edited print they used on the previous two versions they released? Yep, I trust 'em.

3. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    I think the packaging sounds totally lame.

4. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

The packaging probably won't be great, but still you get six movies for a probable store/online price of around $30. That's pretty darn good and there are some decent films in this pack.

5. Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Sounds quality. Im liking the sound of the packaging and some of the films selected like return to horror high is a good choice.

6. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Yeah the stuff they served in 1989 I wouldn't exactly call "Premium" EP tapes in foolscreen. They got better once they hooked up with Elite. It is kind of cool how they have improved over the years. My wife was commenting on how the Anchor Bay / Starmaker labels were warning signs for me to avoid thier product. Now I wanna say that I have more AB DVDs than any other company. These fright packs seem kind of silly to me though.

--Ian

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Im not very familiar with Anchor Bay's entire catalog, but how many (if any) of these films have not been previously released?

I know Transylvania 6-5000, Return of the Killer Tomatoes, and Sleepaway Camp are already out, but are any of the other ones?

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I don't know what to think of these releases. They seem to be going after casual horror fans rather than the die-hard collectors - not that there's anything wrong with that. That's just the impression I get since the first set has an Argento(-written) movie (by that I mean that many Argento fans will already have this title) and the second set has a few films that are already available as part of other collections (Sleepaway Camp and Killer Tomatoes).

In terms of pricing it's a good deal, but not something I'd be interested in.

9. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    All of these have already been released at least once. Some of them were re-released as part of the "Drive In Double Features" line. If you haven't gotten any of the titles this will certainly be a great way to do so.

This is the third version of SLEEPAWAY CAMP but don't expect it to be uncut. There's a Platinum version out there that is open matte and uncut however.

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Can anyone comment on the quality of the first set? The price is right but I'm not familiar with the titles. The second set (campy) I'm not really interested in.

Too bad they didn't put out an Agento or Hammer set.[​IMG]

11. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Here's full specs and pictures of the two sets. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Yeah, looks like they're targeting Joe Six-Pack all right.

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Ha ha ha!

I remember when I used to buy loads of Anchor titles, they were like Warner Bros, pumping out gem after gem with fine transfers and extras and beautiful artwork. The last AB titles I bought was the 25th AE of Halloween last year. They have definately gone soft, recently. Blue Underground are doing great, however and the upcoming Blind Dead box will be something special, I'm sure.

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Anchor Bay has been going "soft" because not only are there more DVD studios that now specialize in the same "schlock" that Anchor Bay has for the past years (and also do it with the same quality that AB pushes out), but because Blue Underground also took a few of Anchor Bay's titles with them. [​IMG] [Meaning less re-releases.]

I would really love for Anchor Bay just to start pumping out more 20th Century Fox titles on DVD (oh the magic they could pull with quite a few of those titles).

However, I'm still awaiting Blue Underground's updates of a majority of AB's old Argento releases. [​IMG]

15. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter