Anchor Bay needs to redo TENEBRAE & PHENOMENA in 16x9!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I just watched parts of these two on my 16x9 47" Panasonic HDTV and WOW, are they BAD zoomed in! This is using the MALATA N996 scaling feature and not the inferior Zoom on my TV. The transfers must have been PAL or SECAM, converted to NTSC because they show telltale signs when blown up.
    Every 3rd or 4th scan line looks to be off axis by a hair, causing a strange venation blind effect that is far worse than what early DVD players did when downconverting anamorphic to 4:3. Those players were at least watchable. These transfers on a 16x9 screen are abhorrent.
    I looked at other 4:3 transfers like LIFEFORCE (which was originally PAL too), PEKING OPERA BLUES, ARMOUR OF GOD and NOSFERATU (also from Anchor Bay) and none had the strange stair-stepping. NOSFERATU was a bitch because the damned subtitles are partially in the bottom black bar, making them impossible to see on a 16x9 set without zooming out. [​IMG]
    Now that I've gone 16x9, I really am turning into an anti-4:3 champion. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 21, 2001 at 05:56 PM]

2. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Matt,
    I have been looking for Phenomena but I got Tenbrae and watched it just the other night on my Mits 73907 using it's zoom because my Sony 9000 does not have one and while it did not look great it did not look as bad as what you are describing.
    Tenebrae is the one with the writer who visits Rome correct?
    I wonder if it might have something to do with the Malata? I have been consdering one of those for imported Horror movies. Have you tried it with your TV's zoom instead?
    I usuaully get very picky about video quality?
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Don't Buy Warner Product Until they Support OAR for Everything

3. Christina_DQ

Christina_DQ Stunt Coordinator

Why would you want to watch a movie zoomed in? Would'nt you be loosing some of the picture?
    Sorry i don't understand since i don't have a WS tv or hi-tech player so i'm curious.

4. Matt_Stevens

Christina_DQ, If a movie is widescreen, but not anamorphic and you own a widescreen TV, then you have to zoom it in, using the player or the TV, otherwise you have black bars on all four sides. This is why many of us so hate non-anamorphic releases and refuse to buy them (I bought a few, but stopped a year ago).
    MaxY, as I stated in my post, 4:3 widescreen titles like LIFEFORCE, ARMOUR OF GOD 2 (Media Asia), PEKING OPERA BLUES and NOSFERATU (Anchor Bay) all look pretty good with the Malata's Zoom feature. No stair-stepping. But TENEBRAE and PHENOMENA looked God-awful. Unwatchable is a better word. I'll see if I can take some pictures and post them. Damn, I wish I owned my own digital camera!
    Also, I can't use my TV's zoom when in 480p since it locks. I'll try it in 480i tomorrow and see what happens.
    ------------------

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Matt,
    Can you list a chapter and or time where the problems stick out and describe it to me. I would like to take a look for it.
    Christina,
    Imagine with a widescreen TV you put a full screen 4x3 picture on it, it would appear squat and strecthed sideways. If it is letterbox (but not anamorphic you would zoom it in until the demensions were correct and the Letter box bars disappeared so it was formatted correctly for a 16 x9 screen.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Don't Buy Warner Product Until they Support OAR for Everything

6. Matt_Stevens

Max, the entire film has it. The best place to look are closeups of people's faces. They are very jagged on my setup. Yet this ONLY is only those two DVD's. I'll try to zoom using the TV when I get home.
    ------------------

7. MaxY

MaxY Guest

8. Matt_Stevens

An odd thing happend. I switched to the STILL filter and BAM, the stepping went away. On Smart or Movie mode, the player must think it's another type of source and just screws it up. This confirms my guess that the transfers were originally PAL and then converted to NTSC for these DVD releases.
    So now it' OK. Malata owners should watch these on the STILL setting. Hopefully, someday down the road, we'll get brand new anamorphic transfers.
    ------------------

9. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

I always thought these two movies looked fine on 4:3 sets... I can understand how they would look inferior zoomed in on 16x9 sets though.
    The transfers for both TENEBRE and PHENOMENA were done for the Roan Group LD releases by Bill Lustig. From what I understand, neither was sourced from a PAL master, (as likely evidenced by the fact that the recent PAL DVD of PHENOMENA looks markedly inferior to the Anchor Bay disc).
    I'm glad that OPERA and SUSPIRIA are being done with all the bells and whistles inherent in Anchor Bay's best transfers nowadays.

10. MaxY

MaxY Guest

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

My guess would be that these two have the progressive flagging screwed up in some way. Try switching that off and see if that doesn't help.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."