What's new

Anchor Bay/Cannell Prod.: Silk Stalkings Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
This DVD set seems to be riddled with errors. E-mails to both places have gone unanswered so far and sites like TV Shows on DVD have not reported anything. Two DVD review sites have confirmed that their copies also have the same problems.

Other consumers have reported that other Cannell Production shows on DVD are also not up to par. Since I am not familiar with those negativities, they can be posted in this forum if so desired. But this is for Silk Stalkings: Complete Second Season.

The order of the episodes are not chronological and this is glaringly obvious when you watch the set. They may be in broadcast order.

The biggest concern (which seems very much like an error but no one has verified it) is on Disc 4's "Dead Weight." It runs 37 minutes whereas all others run 45-47 minutes. The second-to-last scene seems to be missing as the case ends abruptly with no resolution. Was this scene or scenes removed or accidently omitted???

Finally, and these are minor complaints so please do better QC for future sets. If you are going to censor body parts/areas (case in point: "Irreconcilable Differences") at least do it discreetly, not with a big oval blur! Make sure your episode summary matches the episode itself (case in point: "In Too Deep").

Thank You.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I have not received any response from either Anchor Bay or Cannell Productions. Another website reviewer told me he never got a response either. On Amazon.com several of the customer reviews make note of the shortened episode, too.
-

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Keith...

I bought the SS S2 set last week at my local Best Buy, but I just got a chance to check it out today.

After reading all the info here (and elsewhere) about the problems with the set, I opted to check out the situation with "Dead Weight" first thing...

Now, I'm totally confused, but very happy, since my set does NOT seem to have the "missing segment" problem which I've seen discussed here, and in most reviews.

On my set, "Dead Weight" clocks in at 44:52, with a full wrap-up and conslusion... It goes from the black Bronco and the shooting...another interrogation session...Landau at the airport...Chris and Cotton discussing the car deal, etc. Which segment is missing on your set?!?

I do, of course have the other issues which you mentioned (the inaccurate ep description and the censoring blurs).

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Whoa, so this is another case of some titles are "defective" while others are not.

I have the Bronco shooting and personal trainer getting killed ... NO interrogation session ... NO Landau at the airport ... NO Chris and Cotton discussing car deal ... ends with Chris and Rita talking to Cotton about his "drink." Episode clocks in at only 37+ minutes.

Hooo boy, Anchor Bay and Cannell Productions must hear about this! But will it work against me and those with "defective" sets? I've filled out another Problem Report with Anchor Bay and sent an e-mail to Cannell Productions.

I purchased this online and there is no guarantee that a replacement will be the corrected version. I've e-mailed the retailer asking if there is a way for them to ensure the corrected version is sent to me but I doubt it.

This is getting more and more frustrating since AB and CB don't seem to care. If customers are getting incomplete product, it is their business duty to try to fix the problem. A simple "We are aware of the problem and are attempting to fix the problem" response would be miles better than an ignore.

Thanks for shedding light on this, Linda!!!

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Keith...

A bit more investigation... Contains major scene-by-scene spoilers!

Each ep has 4 chapters. For "Dead Weight", they are --

1 - Make It Hurt (begins at 0:00)

2 - Both (begins at 16:53)

3 - Shotgun (begins at 27:43)

4 - Getting Even (begins at 42:04)

The scene with the Bronco and the shooting are about midway Chapter 3...it ends at 35:37, with Chris and Rita standing by the car.

Then comes a fade-to-black scene change, back to headquarters (35:38). There, they interrogate Jillian again, talk to the Captain, then an immediate cut to them entering Landau's office, talking to his secretary and checking his phone, then they drive to a small airport where Landau is forcing a pilot to take off in a small plane. Chris is driving, and the only way he can figure out to stop the plane is to play a game of head-on chicken with the plane on the runway. Once it's stopped, Landau exits the plane (Chris and Rita both have their guns trained on him). There is an exchange of gunfire, and Landau is killed. Rita's remorse over the incident helps her to resolve the psychological issue with which she's been dealing.

Fade-to-black, then next scene/chapter (Chapter 4; 42:04)...picks up with the guy handing Cotton the check, Chris and Rita walk up and stop the transaction, then they discuss the composition of the drink (and the fact that Cotton has sold 42 "10 percent" shares of the "company"), Chris and Cotton briefly discuss the car again, Cotton walks away, Rita drinks from the glass, end credits begin.

Sounds like you (and many others) are completely missing the latter half of Chapter 3!

But, at least this proves that there are indeed complete sets floating around. I'm just EXTREMELY thankful that I managed to land one on the first try.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I was told by the reviewer at DVD Verdict that Anchor Bay usually sends replacement discs for defective discs but it's almost a month and I have not received anything nor heard from them. He said they either 1) ignored everyone's pleas or 2) there are so many complaints that they are backlogged trying to get it fixed.

You are indeed extremely lucky to have scored a good copy.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I actually got an email from someone at Anchor Bay! They said that they are flooded with email regarding this problem BUT he cannot answer my question but will look into it.

However, someone will contact me within the next few days to send instructions on how I can get a replacement copy. Now I hope the replacement copy is correct. So if someone is going to contact me with instructions, why did I fill out the Problem Report with my name and mailing address?

But I am finally grateful that someone acknowledged the situation.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Keith...

Glad to hear that you're (hopefully!) making some progress with getting the situation resolved.

I had actually held off on buying this set specifically because of all I had read about this problem with "Dead Weight". But, I love the show so much, I just couldn't hold out any longer...I wanted it even with such a major defect.

Needless to say, I was totally (and pleasantly) surprised when I figured out that my set was fine. I actually went through that ep 4 times (on fast forward, playing straight through as a single ep, playing straight through via the PLAY ALL function, and by selecting the individual chapters) to convince myself that it really was complete, after all I'd read...

I do indeed consider myself fortunate on this one... Here's hoping you'll get your situation worked out with a minimum of hassle.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I just got an e-mail from Cannell Productions and all they said was to send me my phone number and address and they will look into it. I told them that AB also said they would look into it. But I hope my phone number and address is used to send me a replacement (wonder if I'll get two now?).

Edit: All I got from Cannell Prod. is a name and phone number contact at Anchor Bay. So what was my address for?
-

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I had to bug Anchor Bay again for information since the last time they told me someone would contact me and no one did. Finally, someone told me to send the replacement disc to them (with name, address, contact number, and reason for return) and they'd send a replacement.

However, since the first guy said they weren't aware of the problem and were looking into it, I don't know if they'd send a correct copy. Although Linda says she got a good copy so they are out there. Maybe I just have to take a chance.

I am just disappointed that after two tries filling out their form, I still had to contact them to get information.
-

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Any word on any changed music given the price reduction? I have season one and am now wary of buying future seasons. I have a lot of season 1s on my shelf and no more (*cough* quantum leap *cough*)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I got an e-mail from AB and it said that they are aware of the problem and they will check the replacement disc before shipping them out.

So if you have this "defective" disc, make sure you get confirmation from AB before sending it to them.

No word on music being the reason why the cost is lower.

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Keith, has your memory allowed you to discern anything different from the original airing of the show minus the obvious flaw in one episode? Have you gotten a replacement disc yet? I was thinking about buying the set today though I decided against it. Indeed, that case if pretty terrible. I could tell through the plastic wrap it was junk. They should give us a nicer one like Season 1.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Sorry, I cannot remember the original airings of the show. I don't think there are music replacement issues as the show didn't use much prerecorded music, only the music specifically composed for the show.

I will report back here when I get my replacement disc. I hope I don't have to wait a few months to get it.
-

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
GOOD NEWS (so far)!

I was coming home and never got into the house when a FedEx truck pulled up and the driver handed me an envelope. It said it was from Anchor Bay!

I haven't had time to watch it but I'm assuming it contains the complete episode. I'll report back (the disc itself better work). So that's about three weeks? Not bad.

Since this is the Manufacturer's Feedback forum, I would like to say "THANKS!" to Anchor Bay for resolving this problem.

AFTER DISC CHECK: The missing footage is there now! The episode makes sense now.

RETURN INSTRUCTIONS:

Please send your defective disc to:

Customer Service
Anchor Bay Entertainment
1699 Stutz Drive
Troy, MI 48084

Please provide us with your name, address, contact number and reason for your return. Upon receipt we will ship you a new disc.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call me at 248-816-0909.

Tell them that you got these instructions from Home Theater Forum if your e-mails have gone unanswered.

If you find any problems with Season 3, please post it in the following thread: Season 2 & 3 Review

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Keith...

I'm glad to hear that you finally got it! :)

Is your disc exactly as I described in Post #5 above?

I'm still amazed (and thankful!) that I landed a good set to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks