What's new

Anchor Bay - BLISS; MAN FACING SOUTHEAST? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
About a year or so ago, these titles used to apppear on an Anchor Bay "coming attractions" list.

I'm not sure if AB still exists as such, and in the case of BLISS, I'm not sure if it was even the movie I wanted (an Australian film from the 1980's).

Does anyone know if these movies are still in the works for DVD release, or have any details on them? Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think Bliss showed up almost 2 years ago, and I think it was the Australian one since the only other one I know of was relased by MGM a couple years ago. Sure would like to see this flick, though I do have it on LD.

What is up with Anchor Bay?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Anchor Bay went through a change of ownership last fall. With that, they dropped a lot of the in the works titles. They had A LOT of early New World titles in the works, but gave up on them.

They used to be one of the best companies out there. Now, I can't remember the last title of theirs I bought.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh man, that means they might even have released The Rapture, which is New World. When is that movie ever going to make it to DVD?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
In defense of the new Anchor Bay, they have a lot of interesting movies and TV shows coming out in the future. For instance, they just made a deal with Stephen J. Cannell to put out some of his shows like 21 Jump Street and Greatest American Hero. Not to mention finally putting out the details for their exceedingly long in the works deluxe version of Dawn of the Dead.

Their production output slowed down greatly a few months ago and its certainly not as interesting a company as Blue Underground (which has a lot of old Anchor Bay employees involved), but they are getting their act together again.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

John, The Rapture was released by Fine Line Cinema, an art-house division of New Line Cinema.

New World was Roger Corman's company that was established after he left American International Pictures.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's right, of course Bill. All I had to do was look at my VHS. I'm always mixing up New Line and New World.

you have any idea if New Line still owns the rights? You'd think they could take a little of their 5 billion from LOTR and do a little transfer, wouldn't you?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

Since New Line financed this film (as opposed to a negative pick-up) I'm quite sure they still retain the rights.
However, I've seen the VHS release attributed to New Line, Warner and Columbia/TriStar...there may be a video licensing rights hold-up somewhere along the way.

Great movie!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks for the info Bill, and yes, it is a great movie. It is one of my 8 or 9 top tier faves of all time. FWIW, the WS VHS I have is the last one produced and it is New Line.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Fine Line/New Line still have the rights. Hopefully, it'll be out sooner rather than later along with titles like Proof and Waterland. There's not a huge catalog,so they're probably stretching it out as long as they can.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Thanks. It doesn't sound as if the two movies I mention will be showing up anywhere soon.

John, the BLISS that is listed on the Amazon site is definitely not the one I am interested in, which was about Harry Joy and Honey Barbara.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We're thinking of the same one John. The Bliss that MGM released is a sort of psycho sexual one I've never seen with Sheryl Lee and Craig Sheffer, I think.

The one we are talking about was directed by Ray Lawrence based on a book by Peter Carey. Give the book a read sometime if you haven't already. BTW, Lawrence only recently directed his second movie, Lantana about 17 years after doing Bliss.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I remember these being announced. Does Anchor Bay still have the rights to the rest of the New World catalog? And if so, are they just sitting on it?

John Watson

Screenwriter
I guess these movies - Bliss - Man facing Southeast - and another one I'd like - Steppenwolf - are still lost in limbo :frowning:

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Anchor Bay had the option only on the post-Corman New World library, of which Ray Lawrence's BLISS was included. That library has changed hands many times, and currently is held by the newly merged Lakeshore/Spyglass Entertainment company. I don't know if this has affected AB's license, though since they have not announced any new titles from this library, it may indeed have.

MAN FACING SOUTHEAST was a New World video release, but this may have reverted back to its original producers, as it was theatrically released by the shortlived FilmDallas Pictures. FilmDallas also released Paul Morrissey's SPIKE OF BENSONHURST with Sasha Mitchell and the controversial PATTI ROCKS with Chris Mulkey. None of these three movies have been seen since their original VHS issues, and I'd love to see them resurface.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Spoke with Tony, the producer of the film, and Mark is correct, it is indeed with Lakeshore now.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unfortunately, I have checked all the Australian (and one in New Zealand who had it listed) sellers I could find and it appears it never has actually been released. Nobody has it, there are no copies available on eBay and one site said the release date had been delayed and is now TBA.

Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks