What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Anatomy of a Fall (2023)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Anatomy of a Fall (2023)

Tagline: Did she do it?

Genre: Drama, Crime, Mystery

Director: Justine Triet

Cast: Sandra Hüller, Swann Arlaud, Milo Machado-Graner, Antoine Reinartz, Saadia Bentaïeb, Jehnny Beth, Samuel Theis, Camille Rutherford, Anne Rotger, Sophie Fillières, Arthur Harari, Pierre-François Garel, Savannah Rol

Release: 2023-08-23

Runtime: 152

Plot: When her husband Samuel is mysteriously found dead in the snow below their secluded chalet, Sandra becomes the main suspect when the police begin to question whether he fell or was pushed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anyone here seen Anatomy of a Fall yet? It is the winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes this year. Neon is distributing it in the United States.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was able to see Anatomy of a Fall today.

I liked it up to a point and would not hesitate to recommend it to anybody interested. It is well made and well written, and the cast is very good. Sandra Hüller is especially significant in the lead role.

But I also found it a little underwhelming. Considering that it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes and has been so well-received by reviewers, perhaps I was expecting a bit more. My expectations are not necessarily the movie's fault. But the Palme d'Or does imply a certain standard of excellence. I thought the movie was merely good instead of outstanding.

The reason for this is because it is standard. The husband dies and the wife becomes a suspect in his death when marital struggles between them come to light. The law wants to find out whether she killed him or not. There is nothing really wrong with this idea or how it is presented here. But we've seen this kind of thing many times before. It hits a lot of the beats you expect a murder investigation/courtroom drama movie to hit and it doesn't stray too far from that path. There are some twists and turns and new details added to the couple's characterizations throughout. It's not boring. But none of it is really that surprising either. I also think it could have used a bit of a trim, as tighter pacing would have made it feel more urgent.

The movie is from France and significantly presented in French, but with a fair amount of English dialogue as well. I'm not advocating for a remake here. But if somebody wanted to do it, I think this movie would lend itself to a completely English, Americanized remake because the structure and storytelling choices here are so similar to how Hollywood presents courtroom dramas.

If you like courtroom dramas, this is a pretty good one. I am glad I saw it. It just doesn't really do anything to transcend its genre, which is okay. I think the buzz around the movie made me expect it to do something different. But it is still a good movie. I doubt I'll revisit it much, but it was worth seeing once.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I was able to see Anatomy of a Fall today.

I liked it up to a point and would not hesitate to recommend it to anybody interested. It is well made and well written, and the cast is very good. Sandra Hüller is especially significant in the lead role.
... But if somebody wanted to do it, I think this movie would lend itself to a completely English, Americanized remake because the structure and storytelling choices here are so similar to how Hollywood presents courtroom dramas.
I'm still digesting it. I would agree it's not the most daunting Palme D'Or winner there's been, but I also believer there is more there than meets the eye on first blush.

But, an American remake would almost certainly squeeze all the subtle aspects out of it in favor of cleaner, more obvious, dramatic turns.

Let it be

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
My full take:

ANATOMY OF A FALL (2023) Palme d'Or Cannes Award Winner. In Theaters.
Justine Triet's cannily crafted French drama begins with a tragic accident as a man falls from an upstairs window to the ground below. Samuel (Samuel Theis) is married to a German writer, Sandra (Sandra Hüller). Their legally blind 11 year old son, Daniel (Milo M. Graner) discovers the body. Sandra had just completed an interview with a young female student about her work. A key line at the very beginning has Sandra mentioning that her writings like to mix fact with fiction. The law suspects that Sandra may have had something to do with the incident and she hires a lawyer Vincent (Swann Arlaud)

Triet, who co-wrote with her life partner Arthur Harari lulls the viewer in with the criminal storyline. On the surface it appears to be a whodunnit, but, as it unfolds the forensic and legal intricacies take a back seat to the inner workings of Sandra and Samuel's wedlock (Anatomy Of a Marriage would be an equally apt title). This isn't to say that the resultant testimony and trial aren't vitally important, but, as the layers unfold, it is the marriage that comes under the microscope.

One aspect that may surprise many viewers is how the French legal system allows for so much speculation and outright hearsay to be allowed in the courtroom. Triet and Harari use this to an advantage in their screenplay. The movie freely mixes testimony, flashbacks and arguments in order to paint its picture. Sandra is a German living in France who speaks English at home as a 'compromise' with her late husband. When she gets flustered in court trying to speak solely French, she defaults back to English. Daniel's blindness also compels the viewer to listen carefully to the tone of voice of the characters, just as he must. This is illustrated during a crucial moment when a secretly recorded argument between Sandra and Samuel is played before the jury. Much of it is shown in flashback, but, at its climax it's audio only - the viewer must draw their own assumptions.

Triet and Harari being a real life couple adds to the verimisilitude of the portrayal of the husband and wife here (using the real first names of the two actors as their character monikers is a nice touch). Hüller's superb performance is what makes the movie work. As shown in TONI ERDMANN, she has the ability to outwardly display her emotions without revealing her inner workings. The supporting performances are all fine, with Arlaud adding an extra air of mystery by how he seems to always be questioning his own client as much as defending her. Does he believe his defendent is innocent? (note how his inquisitive look at the very end mirrors the one he gives Sandra when he first questions her)

ANATOMY OF A FALL includes a judgement as to the legal facts of the case, but it's a testament to Triet that she doesn't neatly wrap it in a bow. The true verdict is with the individual viewer. The discussion continues and that's the mark of a movie that trusts the intelligence of its audience.

Attachments

• Anatomy2.jpg
    Anatomy2.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 29

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
an American remake would almost certainly squeeze all the subtle aspects out of it in favor of cleaner, more obvious, dramatic turns.
I agree. I'm not saying I want an American remake. But I could see a major studio trying to do one fairly easily.

I saw it on Monday and honestly, it has all but faded from my mind now. I don't mind having seen it, and I wouldn't tell anyone who wanted to see it that they should change their mind. But it hasn't stayed with me at all.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I didn't read the lengthier parts of your (and Joe's) comments so far, but will probably tomorrow night after I go see it for myself.

I did wonder if it had any significant influence, etc from the great classic Anatomy of A Murder, so I did finally watch that last night (in pristine Sony 4K) in prep for this. I may need to rewatch that classic again soon... maybe right after this... to fully appreciate it as well.

And since I do have AMC A-List (and time on my hands) now, I can also rewatch AoAF before it leaves AMC theaters here in NYC as well, if I want... though this might be its last week here, so I might end up going again on Thurs (maybe for a double feature w/ the Hunger Games prequel)...

Wonder who will give this a disc release and when -- maybe Kino or Cohen(?)... OR does Neon release discs too? I forget...

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I went on a binge when in Vegas the other week and almost saw "Fall" but decided I just wasn't in the mood for a long foreign film.

Call me an ignorant US American if you must! :D

I think it's at my local AMC so maybe I'll see it this week.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
"It Lives Inside" distributed on BD by Decal, some of their others Criterion.
I know they used to have a distribution deal with Universal, which released the initial single-disc version of Parasite before Criterion did their more loaded edition. I think their deal with Decal replaced the Universal one, but I wouldn't swear to it.

The last two things I bought from Neon were Flee (distributed by Decal shortly after its theatrical release) and Petite Maman (distributed by Criterion over a year after its theatrical release with no previous edition.)

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ok, saw it yesterday... and yeah, was a tad underwhelmed despite being a (very?) fine film for what it is (or was meant to be). It just isn't quite the kinda film that I find compelling enough to wanna revisit, especially given its length and my nearly insurmountable backlog (NTM huge collection to revisit), perhaps more than once waaay in the future, if ever again...

But am glad enough at least to have seen it the once, particularly in a theater (more to help such films get made than actually needing to be seen there at least in my case w/ my home setup)...

_Man_

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just finished it and am pretty much in agreement with @Jake Lipson

It was a good not great film in my opinion. Certainly nothing wrong with it but also nothing extraordinary about it.

Ymmv.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
For those interested, this is now streaming on Amazon Prime Video in Canada.

We’ll be watching tonight, just in time for the Oscars.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks