What's new

Anarchy Online cover art (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
After reading the latest PC gamer raving about Anarchy Online and the current offer to download the game for free with a 7 day trial, I decided to give it a whirl. It's a hefty download (670MB!), so I burned it to CD. I was going to make a label for it, but can't find one anywhere. Anyone have one that I can use?

Also, any feedback on the game itself? I heard about all the initial problems, but it sounds like it has gotten much better. Any thoughts?

-Dave

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
Can't help you much with the label issue but I can give you feedback on the game.
Anarchy is one of the two MMORPG's I'm playing right now. I bought Anarchy at launch and it was an utter disaster. I stayed with the game for the first month and then dropped it because of the problems.
Funcom recently offered account reactivation for a full month free to those who cancelled previously so I decided to give it a whirl. Plain and simple its a much better game. AO today is what AO should have been at launch. Its allot more stable. The new content patches are great. Funcom is finally starting to get a good bit of bugs fixed. My point...its a much better game these days.
All is not rosey in the land of AO. There are some serious class imbalances that need to be dealt with (which online game doesn't have this though). There are serious problems for dial up users. Most reported instability (dropped off servers, bad lag) problem stem from dial up users. I personally am on DSL and I have yet to have any connections and almost no lag since I relogged on in December. Funcom still has to work on there communications skills. They have gotten better but they need to communicate with there player base more.
As for the game itself, there is allot of content there. The game excels in the area of character development. You literally have about 50-60 different skills to pump with your IP points (skill points). Not to mention the implant upgrades you acan install on your character. AO simply allows you to personalize your character much more than any other MMOG. One thing I have noticed about the game is it is very "single" player centric. If you have had any experience in Dark Age of Camelot you will notice how group oriented that game is. AO is much more of a Solo game with other people in it if you will. You can group and take on tougher monsters but honestly you dont really have to. You can do missions on your own until you make millions of credits and then get into some PVP and all the while you wont even need a group:). I do recommend getting into one though as the community is what these types of games are all about.
All in all AO has allot of potential. There is still allot of work that needs to be done but it is an excellent game underneath the hood. Funcom really screwed up. People have been too busy ripping apart the games launch (rightfully so) than trying to give the game another chance (in which case they would find a solid title). I personally prefer Dark Age and am thinking of cancelling my AO account because I simply dont have the time to play both but give it a chance. You'll be glad you did.
PS. Did I mention the graphics are freaking spectacular! You really will not find a prettier MMORPG out there.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Arrrgh. It's very confusing when you are just starting out. I kept hitting the attack button until I found out that your character auto-attacks! I really wish more games had "tutorial" modes...

-Dave

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
That is another thing about AO, the interfaceis downright confusing and difficult to get a hang of at first. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. If you want I can jump on later tonight and show you the ropes if your an Omni:).

AO gets really boring after a few weeks - Too much eye candy not enough depth to the game.

Anyone else notice that the AO logo looks like a certain part of the female anatomy? ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks