anamorphic widescreen ???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by alex_dias, Jan 21, 2005.

1. alex_dias

alex_dias Auditioning

Hi There,

I'm quite new at buying DVDs from other countries, but since I'm a avid fan of foreign movies I can't wait to some them to be release in the US.

Anyway, I've been buying at UK and other European countries also Japanese and Chinese (from HK) but for the first time I bought DVDs from Thailand.
    I've got "The Last Life in The Universe" and "Tropical Malady" official Thai DVDs. They're both 'anamorphic widescreen', PAL, region 3 (I believe) and there was no problem playing them on my Ciberhome DVD300 region free dvd player, but the image is squeezed and they are playing full screen.

I've try to change the presets for my 4:3 TV, but everything seems fine and I never had this problem before.

Is there something I missing?

Alex.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hello Alex,

Welcome to the forum!

If you never had that problem before, it's strange indeed, because that suggests that your settings are OK.

Nevertheless, I personally would check my DVD player once again, to see if it's still set to 4x3 output (because your TV is a 4x3). If that's how it is set, we can only assume that the DVD movie doesn't properly flag itself to be an anamorphic image, so the DVD player doesn't "squeeze" the image vertically like it should. (I assume that your squeezed image is "thin"). Can you manually squeeze the TV image in the vertical direction? That would give you a proper image anyway in this case, as an ad-hoc solution.

Cees

3. alex_dias

alex_dias Auditioning

I never had that issue before.
    I've checked the settings on the DVD player and it's rightly set for 4:3.
    Yes, the images that I got from these DVDs are "thin".
    And although I will be willing to try a lot of things I wouldn’t change my vertical setting on my TV. That I would consider going too far...

Thank you Cees.

Alex.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    The problem is, I believe, that the Cyberhome 300 can't properly convert anamorphic PAL discs to NTSC while keeping the proper geometric proportions. The Cyberhome 500, for example, doesn't have this problem and can do a proper conversion.

DJ

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The Cyberhome 300 can not properly downconvert PAL anamorphic widescreen for viewing on 4:3 displays.

You actually have to have a television capable of doing the 16:9 squeeze so that these are presented properly.

For some reason, some DVD players capable of converting PAL to NTSC can not do the 4:3 downconversion at the same time.

6. alex_dias

alex_dias Auditioning

Yeah, I've been trying a lot of stuff and nothing helped.

So today I've ordered a Pioneer DV-578 Region Code Free on line.
    I did reasonable research and opted for this one for about $180 + $30 on shipping and handling.

Thanks,

Alex

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Most European TV sets have a button for that, and if I'm not mistaken, most US TV's now too.

And, although there's indeed a risk (you have to be very careful), here's a very good description of how to apply a vertical squeeze yourself. Some people even programmed their remotes to squeeze and un-squeeze in a wink.

If your new DVD player can do what's needed, that's much better of course.

Cees

8. alex_dias

alex_dias Auditioning

Thank you Cees,

This is very helpful.
    I'm waiting for my new DVD player to see what will happen.
    I'l'l post my findings.

Thanks again,

Alex.

9. alex_dias

alex_dias Auditioning

The Pioneer DV-578A is amazing.
    It played all my DVDs from Brazil, UK, Thai, HK, Japan and China perfectly.

I really enjoy the image, sound and interface. I was also very impressed by the SCAD and DVD audio performances.

For a little over $180 is highly recommended.

Alex.