Anamorphic support confirmed on new 4:3 Toshiba's!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyG, Sep 5, 2001.

1. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The user manuals for the 4:3 sets have now been posted at http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...V/2001tvct.htm and has this to say:
    "You can view programs that have conventional TV picture format (4:3 aspect ratio) and the wide-screen format (16:9 aspect ratio). This feature is available for 1080i digital broadcasts and 480p/480i DVD signals connected to the ColorStream HD1 and HD2 jacks."
    There are two modes, Compression and Letterbox. Compression mode works like you'd expect. The Letterbox mode downconverts the material (360 lines for DVD, 810 lines for HD) and adds grey bars top and bottom to help prevent phosphor burn-in.
    The Letterbox mode was also supposed to have something called 'Raster Shift' that would slowly scroll the 16:9 window up and down, but there is no mention of this in the user manual, so it may have been removed (fear of many "my picture keeps moving!" phone calls??).
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

2. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

When will the 32/36HFX71 models be available?
    Mike

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

"Sometime this month" is the 'official' answer.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I too noticed the 16:9 mode in the new manuals. Finally!! I don't understand why it took them so long.
    Now if they would start doing it on the non-HD sets too (since in 95% of the cases it's used with DVD anyway, and on non-line doubled sets it would make quite a difference), and if all the other manufacturers would follow...
    /Mike

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Mike, I agree...which they offered it on the 32AFX61 model and not just the 32HFX71. It's also worth noting that it looks to be just a manual squeeze option in the user menu. Service menu tinkering aside [​IMG], I think Sony is still the only manufacturer offering the compression/squeeze feature on non-HDTV ready 4:3 sets. Does anyone know of others?
    cheers,
    --tom

6. SamE

SamE Auditioning

From reading the manual, the 16:9 mode on the TV is not automatic. You have to select that you want that when you are watching a widescreen dvd. I know that the Sony XBRs and Panasonic HX40/41 does this detection automatically.

7. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Am I missing something? Why doesn't the set "raster squeeze" the full 480 or 1080 lines into the 16x9 area?
    John

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John, they will in "compression" mode. There is also a "letterbox" mode that, as JohnnyG stated, will downconvert the image to 360 or 810 lines. In the case of a dvd, this would be same as putting your dvd player into 4:3 letterbox mode.
    cheers,
    --tom

9. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

It is interesting that one has a choice of compression on and off. What would be the reason not to use compression?
    John

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

11. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Chuck, the way I understand things, there would be no point to a 2.35:1 mode because no film or program is transmitted in that format natively. An anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1 film is stored on dvd in the 16:9 format with little black bars on the top and bottom.
    cheers,
    --tom