Anamorphic Squeeze

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Fanning, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    On my Sony KP53HS10, is the squeeze trick simply taking an anamorphic DVD and, using the menu, converting from 4:3 to 16:9? Is that all there is to doing this function?
    Jack

2. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

Yes. Set your DVD player set to 16:9 and leave it there forever.

3. Patrick Ferrara

Abdul,
    I have the same set. What about non-anamorphic material, or even (God forbid) 4:3 material? Does it still make sense to keep the DVD player and the TV in 16x9 mode?
    Patrick.
    ------------------

4. KevinLandry

KevinLandry Extra

Yes - keep it there. Non-anamorphic dvd's, including any that are 4:3 will display normally......not a small 4:3 picture that you might suspect. Your TV is smarter than you think.

5. Michael Jsmith

I've got the KP61HS10. If you play a non-anamorphic DVD through Video 5 with the DVD and TV set to 16:9, it will look squished. What I do is run component cables into Video 5, and leave both the DVD player and TV set to 16x9. Then, I run an S-video cable to Video 4, leave the DVD set to 16x9, and the TV automatically goes to 4:3, since only Video 5 can do the 16:9 squeeze trick. That way, I never have to change any settings. And I tell my wife and kids just to flip between Video 4 and 5 to see which picture looks right--beats the hell out of trying to show them how too change the TVs 16:9 mode to 4:3 for non-anamorphic DVDs. I gave up long ago trying to even explain to them what an anamorphic DVD is [​IMG]. Hope this helps.
    mike
    ------------------
    Consuming air and other valuable resources since 1953.

6. Michael Jsmith

Ooops. I meant to say if you run a 4:3 DVD through Video 5 with both TV and DVD set to 16:9, it will look squished. [​IMG] sorry
    ------------------
    Consuming air and other valuable resources since 1953.