Anamorphic shrinkage question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stevie-Cho, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Stevie-Cho

Stevie-Cho Auditioning

I have a Sony Wega KV-36FS16 television and a Toshiba SD-1200 DVD player. I have given up using the "16:9 Enhanced" option on the television because it shrinks the picture too much. Am I missing something?

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

YES!!!

YOu must setup your DVD player to output a signal for a 16:9 TV. In the DVD player setup menu, select 16:9 TV. On the TV, select 16:9 mode. THis way, your DVD player is sending a 16:9 picture to a 16:9 display.

If you fail to select 16:9 output on the DVD player, the pictur will be distorted.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Squeezing the picture should not make the picture one iota smaller, it should only increase the resolution. If it does otherwise then the geometry in one of the settings or equipment setup is different/wrong.

5. Joe Wyant

Joe Wyant Extra

Wow...I am kinda new to HT and have a 32" wega. I always wondered why the 16x9 setting on the tv didn't seemed to work right. I just tried switching the dvd setting and WOW is all I can say. That made a huge difference. I can't believe I missed that.

Thanks,
    Joe

6. John Garcia

John

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I apologize for the error earlier. I was thinking of squeezing a non-anamorphic image.

I haven't tried outputting a 4:3 signal to a 16:9 display. I guess that ever since I have had a TV with the 16:9 mode, I have adjusted the DVD player to output a 16:9 signal.

8. Adam Brandner

Adam Brandner Stunt Coordinator

So what happens if you have your DVD player set to output a 16x9 image, and you put in either a widescreen non-anamorphic disc or a full screen disc (like one of the Simpsons DVDs)? I'm strongly considering getting a 36" Wega xbr, and this has been a concern of mine. Will the "auto squeeze" feature on the TV be able to take care of this? I want everything in my system to work with as little effort as possible, so it would be a shame if I had to change the DVD player's output all the time. Oh, my DVD player is a Toshiba sd4700, if that matters.

9. John Garcia

John
    No, widescreen just comes out OAR, it was already fit to the screen.

Full screen material is, well, full screen, no matter what.

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Here is the simplest rule to follow:
    When your TV has 16:9 mode, leave the player in 16:9 and then adjust the TV so it looks best. This applies to all DVD's, full frame, non-anamorphic, live video, etc.
    Except for minor size or geometry errors that you should be able to calibrate around, the finished picture from anamorphic DVD's with both DVD player and 4:3 TV in 16:9 mode should be the same size as having DVD player in 4:3 letterbox mode and the TV in normal 4:3 mode. In 16:9 mode it should look a lot sharper.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    FWIW, I have one of the older Wegas where the squeeze function is buried in one of the setup menus, and is (mis)labelled "Wide". it's a bit of a PITA to change it back and forth between 16:9 material and 4:3 material (the household watches a lot of TV shows on DVD).

I just wish I had one of the newer ones where switching back and forth is one button-push on the remote. oh well. but I must chime in and say that anamorphic stuff does looked markedly better when using the squeeze function, even with DRC working when not using squeeze.

12. Adam Brandner

Actually, my understanding was that most of the new Wegas have an auto mode that detects an anamorphic signal somehow and squeezes it for you (unless the signal is progressive). Anyone know if this year's models can auto squeeze a progressive signal? It seems silly to have to do it manually when the interlaced signals are done automatically.

13. John Garcia

John
    On the previous generation (non-XBR), the FS series you have to do the squeeze manually, on the FV series it is automatic. I've never seen any that have the squeeze as a button, but I also haven't paid much attention to the new models.

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Since the issue of anamorphic sqeeze seems to be a confusing one for many new members- I'm considering putting together a basic guide and adding to the Primer...

Since it will be rather time consuming- and will likely involve a dozen or more graphics, I figured I should pose the question before preparing it:

Is this something that the forum thinks members might find useful? Is it worth my time to crank out a long winded explanation??

-V

15. Adam Brandner

Well, I for one would certainly appreciate it. I have just a basic understanding of what anamorphic squeeze does myself, and it would be nice to able to point my friends to something like that when they come to me with that question. It always hard to explain it to someone without being able to show it to them after all. Kind of like explaining the "black bars" to someone who hates widescreen. Without seeing a head to head comparison, they usually just don't get it.

16. Joe Wyant

Joe Wyant Extra

I would love to see an explanation on it.

17. John Garcia

John
    I think it would be a great idea.