What's new

Anamorphic "Scream" Available? (1 Viewer)

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Warning regarding the korean scream box.

Scream is anamophic, yes. But it´s a strech job. They took the non-anamorphic transfer and streched it and encoded it. It´s very clear when you look at the movie. The picture is very fuzzy and there are lot´s of aliasing everywhere.
Sold my box instantly when I noticed that.
:frowning:

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Actually I'm pretty sure the newest "Project Greenlight" was done some time before Dimension performed their final indignity on CURSED- cutting it for a PG-13 rating. I know a read a review of a workprint screening of FEAST on aint-it-cool-news a couple months ago, and as late as last December CURSED was still rated R.

As for TRAINSPOTTING having been re-rated R, having seen the kind of gore that's been passed in R-rated films these past couple years, I'd have to think that the uncut SCREAM that got an NC-17 in 1996 would easily get an R today.

Vincent

CraigL

Screenwriter
I popped in my boxed set version of the first one and it looked great to me. no problems whatsoever. this would be the first i've heard of it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

You're probably right. The main gore differences are intestines shot and the slower push in on Casey's hanging body.

In any event, until there's a good R1 release, I'm sticking with my laserdisc (and still looking for the DTS LD).

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I thought the version in the ultimate scream box was anamorphic. Or am I thinking of Scream 2? I remember one of them being only available in the box set as anamorphic, but my box set had the non-anamorphic one. I took it back and got a different one and which movie it was was anamorphic. Wish I could remember.
edit: Never mind, just did some research. It was indeed Scream 2. All three available versions of Scream (bare-bones, collector's, ultimate box) are non-anamorphic. The bare-bones Scream 2 is non-anamorphic, but for some reason they put an anamorphic transfer of Scream 2 in the box set, but not Scream 1? What kind of sense does that make?

Travis W.

Second Unit
I would be willing to bet cash that Dimension will release an anniversary edition next year. They did so with Cop Land and Rounders, of all movies.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah I remember this nonsense. Pete Bracke did a good special report on this and the larger picture of Di$ney and anamorphic at the time with the memorable title "Buena Vista & 16x9: The Good, the Bad and the Unenhanced" that's worth clicking around DVDFile.com to possibly find.

Di$ney could probably put a pin in this whole issue if they'd announce their first Blu-ray slate already . . .

-p

Jonathan_

Second Unit
HBO showed Scream last night in HD. The only bad part was that it had been cropped to 16x9. Hopefully this means that a new 16x9 version of Scream will come out later this year. This year is the 10th anniversary of the movie, so who knows.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
What happened to Dimension in the Miramax/Disney split? I'm assuming that Disney retains the rights to everything...but who knows. I'd definitely be up for another DVD release.

...and I'm still trying to track down the elusive DTS LD :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Anybody who reads the trades. The Dimension name I think went with Bob W. for new projects. And yeah I think Di$ney retains the rights to the catalog. If someone recalls differently from news stories at the time of course chime in.

Way more interested in a Blu-ray release than a (long overdue) new standard def DVD of this.

Can't believe this pic was 10 years ago already.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

Great DTS track.

Seriously, though, I'd think that Disney retains all Dimension/Miramax titles before a certain date, maybe 2003 or 2004? Doesn't the new Weinstein company own Kill Bill?

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
For those still looking for an unrated anamorphic Scream with 5.1 audio, I highly recommend the German DVD release. Yes, it is PAL, but it has an English 5.1 track and the transfer is better than the Japanese and Korean discs.

Last I checked it was still available here:
http://www.cd-wow.us/detail_results_...uct_code=21645

If you absolutely must have the film in DTS, and you don't care if it's the R-rated cut, then get the Aussie disc.

-Lyle J.P.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Is the unrated Japanese DVD still available anywhere? I see the Korean DVD is once again unavailable from the koreandvds.com site and I'm not sure if I want the German PAL release.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Many Japanese discs seem to go out of print before half the world even realizes they've been released. Scream is long out of print. It was tough to find two years ago. Nowadays, it's a $200 eBay purchase.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks