What's new

Anamorphic or Widescreen(Letterboxed)£¿ (1 Viewer)

Michael_Yang

Agent
Mississippi Masala

a film directed by Mira Nair,star Denzel Washington.

it is printed in dvd backcover:

• Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
• Widescreen Presentation

Back Cover Pic

I think it is Anamorphic Widescreen.

but i found it is marked "widescreen(letterboxed)" in much site,like amazon¡¢yahoo,etc.

It puzzles me....:frowning:

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I don't know whether it's anamorphic or not, but you should never trust the technical descriptions provided by DVD websites, especially Amazon.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
they like to confuse people that's all ... (or perhaps to make out there's more "special" features on the disc than there really ... aren't)

it's a sure bet this is anamorphic widescreen, as you said. it's columbia tristar, most of their output is in this format.

if you buy the DVD, enjoy those "special" interactive menus and scene selections.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ that's true but I think he's referring to the way amazon labels them....when something is nonanamorphic, but widescreen, Amazon usually just lists it as "Widescreen (letterboxed)". If it's anamorphic widescreen, Amazon usually writes "Anamorphic Widescreen". I think that's what's puzzling him.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
...you should never trust the technical descriptions provided by DVD websites, especially Amazon.
Yes. I've noticed this as well.

I'd advocate that Amazon do what many DVD e-tailers do (i.e. DVD Planet & DVD Empire)....and that's give the person browsing the Amazon site the ability to see both the front AND back covers of DVD products, as well as VHS tapes. Especially, in Amazon's case, VHS tapes....for those few poor souls who haven't figured out the greatness of DVD yet. :) Amazon never lists any details about VHS products, even multi-tape Special Editions.

Being able to blow up a pic of the back of the packaging is very, very helpful/useful IMO! Every site should do this. And I've often wondered WHY Amazon hasn't followed suit on this. :confused:

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of confusing, I'm having a hard time figuring out if the new Robin Hood - SE is anamorphic or not.

Amazon says "widescreen letterbox".
Deep Discount says nothing.
DVD Empire says nothing.
DVD Planet says "anamorphic".
Warner Brothers says "anamorphic".

Funny how Amazon has a long description of the extras, but lists the video presentation as only "widescreen letterbox".

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Being able to blow up a pic of the back of the packaging is very, very helpful/useful IMO!
I love that as well but still...there is a language barrier. When the back of the case says "Widescreen", I don't know if that means anamorphic widescreen or just letterboxed. If I knew of a site that could say "for sure" whether a particular title was enhanced or not, then it wouldn't be such a headache. The DVD Forum should make the studios adopt a common labeling system so that they all use the same terms and we as consumers know what those terms mean.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks