Anamorphic lens for 4:3 projectors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Franklin, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I am posting this because I know that in one of my home theater magazines there is a company out there that makes this kind of lens. Unfortunately, I cannot spend any more money on a projector with a native display of 16:9. Unless I win the lottery. But, if I win the lottery I could afford the Vidikron ONE. So, my question is: "Does anyone know the name of the company that makes such a lens and can anyone help me out by providing the number or web site address to that company?" It would be much appreciated?

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

check avscience.com.
    goto the forums section. I know in the digital projectors forum there's a lot of discussion about this topic.
    A company makes a lens called the "panamorph" or something. It's not cheap...and basically you're better off IMO getting a 16x9 native projector...unless you want something really cool like a DILA or something that doens't come 16x9 right now.
    But look into it. Don't know anythign more but that should get you started!
    -dave

3. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

Take care to make sure your projector will take a different lens. Some can't use anything but what the manufacturer supplied.

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

There is the Panamorph (expect a long, long wait) and the ISCO.
    Howard, these are lenses that fit in front of the existing projectors lense.
    Tim

5. Huey

Huey Agent

There are many angry customers for Panamorph due to undelivered after 18 mo. so don't waste your money as they are nearing bankruptcy. http://www.avsforum.com